• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Aavid Thermalloy Possible Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pooge said:
You may want to investigate this outfit for prices, as shipping may be cheaper than shipping from Canada. Also, they have several sinks with pretty thick base plates.

Thermal Solutions

Don't know anything about them. Just ran across them in a search last week.

I took a look see and they have pretty much the same extrusions as R-Theta. I think they are an industry standard. I should request a quote just for comparative reasons, they have the 65605 as well.

Anthony

I did call them last week, but they couldn't give me any prices without giving them exact order.

Also, they don't have the thermal data for the sinks, so you'd have to go by a similar pattern elsewhere. They can give you the weights to help with that. I was basically interested in the EXT875560 extrusion, but when I found out it was 24.7lbs per foot, I didn't bother to request a quote. The 1002047 extrusion is 11.4lbs/ft, and the 1282437 is 10.8lbs/ft.

They are basically a machine shop. The extrusions are not anodized, but they can do that.

They can do all the machining you want. They may also mix and match for a group order, but you'd have to ask. You may find that they can handle your enclosure panels, too.

http://www.hifi2000.it 5U case

I was also looking to get the case done by someone. hifi2000( http://www.modushop.biz/) have one case that might be OK for F series of amps. It has a beautiful 10mm front panel and nice overall size.
I have sent email to the see if they will do a GB price for the shipping to US/Canada. Shipping is the biggest problem in this case.
I'll let you know.

Gjorgji

Re: http://www.hifi2000.it 5U case

gjorgji said:
I was also looking to get the case done by someone. hifi2000( http://www.modushop.biz/) have one case that might be OK for F series of amps. It has a beautiful 10mm front panel and nice overall size.
I have sent email to the see if they will do a GB price for the shipping to US/Canada. Shipping is the biggest problem in this case.
I'll let you know.

Gjorgji

I have looked at those before, but you have to pay the VAT and after currency conversion even with the discount they are currently offering the price is $362 CAD ($288 USD) before shipping, brokerage and Duties.

Anthony

Ok, I've got some reply. For 20 pcs, which is around 400kg, to Canada is 80EUR group shipping. I don't think we have to pay VAT, but I'll confirm that.
They can also do milling,drilling, engraving and apparently for every case individually.
I've asked for the bottom plate and it's 1mm steel. I am not sure if that is sufficient for that case size.
Anyway, I am just curious what the total will be ;) . Just puzzled on the fact then in US/Canada nobody is offering something like this. Most of the enclosure manufacturers does not offer designs with heatsink's.

I prefer an all aluminum case myself, most of these prefab chassis places only offer an aluminum front plate and use stamped steel panels for the other surfaces. Using stamped steel dramatically reduces the cost but also the rigidity of the chassis. These steel panels twist and distort easily before they are all bolted together. I am suprised the bottom plate is only 1m or .04" on the Modushop product, but I assume they have had reasonable success with it. Stamped steel also has the advantage of reduced shipping costs.

I have used similar products for smaller projects like a DAC cabinet or Preamp case.

For me though I would prefer the fortitude of a high rigidity product that has enough material that you can drill and tap into it to mount components. This is something you can not do adequately with Stamped steel panels, everything has to be bolted or fastened with self tapping sheet metal screws.

I wonder if an all aluminum version is available?

Anthony

gjorgji said:
Apparently they can make 3mm aluminum for the back an bottom for 20EUR. I'll have asked them if they can make the bottom 6mm for that price.
Not sure if the top plate should be necessary aluminum. Will that help in the rigidness of the case?

Gjorgji

I would say 5m minimum for the bottom, and yes aluminum looks nicer than steel and would add to rigidity. Does 20EUR include anodizing and is that ea. panel?
3m is fine for back panel, but how much to finish it like the pdf I posted earlier?

Also is it possible to get detail photos on how it is constructed internally?

Regards

Anthony

gjorgji said:
Hi Andrey,

I thing anodizing for the back is the same as front. Attached is the pictures of the internal. I know is not detailed by that is what have I got from them.
Can I send them the PDF that you have created?

Gjorgji

gjorgji said:
Ok, file attachment did not work exactly as expected :confused:
I have put the picture on my flicker page.

You can send them the PDF for quoting only as it is not finalized.

There is enough detail in the photo to see there is no milling invovled, just .5" sq stock frame to hold everything together, nothing wrong with that. I do question the value at the high price they are asking for the base model with stamped steel panels.

Once they replace all the panels with our specs I think the price will bust $450 CAD before you even get it on the boat here.

The back panel I was thinking we could use is 2.5m thick anodized and would be the equivalent of 34EUR

Anthony

3U is 10mm front panel and 400mm depth is 6kg
5U 10mm panel and 500mm depth is 18kg+ :devilr:

Handles are very nice indeed.

Anthony, I've also noticed that the things start adding up quickly. I think that we'll break that mark easy, which is not what I was looking for.
Communication is also part of the problem with this guys. I am not sure how 20+20 custom panels will look like :xeye:. It's not like we are using Front panel express tools

gjorgji said:
3U is 10mm front panel and 400mm depth is 6kg
5U 10mm panel and 500mm depth is 18kg+ :devilr:

Handles are very nice indeed.

Anthony, I've also noticed that the things start adding up quickly. I think that we'll break that mark easy, which is not what I was looking for.
Communication is also part of the problem with this guys. I am not sure how 20+20 custom panels will look like :xeye:. It's not like we are using Front panel express tools

Front Panel Express is where I got my quote from.

I do like the concept of these guys in Europe, but once you add the final price and the logistics into the equation it gets very expensive. I really prefer to deal with companies based in North America or who at least have offices here.

Anthony

Coulomb said:

Front Panel Express is where I got my quote from.

I do like the concept of these guys in Europe, but once you add the final price and the logistics into the equation it gets very expensive. I really prefer to deal with companies based in North America or who at least have offices here.

Anthony

I agree, even thou it sounds like Obama's "Buy American" :D

pooge said:
You may want to investigate this outfit for prices, as shipping may be cheaper than shipping from Canada. Also, they have several sinks with pretty thick base plates.

Thermal Solutions

Don't know anything about them. Just ran across them in a search last week.

Well I got a quote from Thermal Solutions for the same 65605 profile in 8" length that R-Theta Quoted.

R-Theta $27 CAD MOQ 50
Thermal Solutions $72.18 USD MOQ 50

I think I will stick with R-Theta.

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.