• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

symphonic-mpd

Has anyone managed to get Symphonic-mpd to work on Pi 4 B Rev 1.4?

All I get is an error stating the start_cd.elf is not compatible, This board requires newer software.

I have tried replacing the files suggested in post 389 with files from moodeaudio but then it wont boot at all.

Can anyone help please?

I think the last released version supported the 1.4 boards. but in order to get this version you'll have to get the downloaded version working and then do the update to 1.7 from within the application. I got it all working (eventually) with a rev 1.5 board! It may be just a case of finding the correct boot files, through trial and error, but you should get there....eventually!

Not sure which SMPD version you are using if it is 1.07-1.10 then:

"symphonic-mpd recommends the following versions.
We recommend the following firmware version.

BOOTLOADER:
Tue 10 Sep 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110)

VL805:
000137AD

The recommended version of the firmware is stored in /opt/rpi-eeprom of the SD image.
If you are newer than the recommended version, please consider reverting to the recommended version.

<firmware revert to recommended version>
./rpi-eeprom-update -f firmware/critical/pieeprom-2019-09-10.bin
./rpi-eeprom-update -u firmware/critical/vl805-000137ad.bin "

Wow... My jaw dropped, again, for the second time since when I heard my DAC with Volumio on RPi some years ago ! It really is mind-boggling that some smart software tweaks make sound this different, even more than changing the hardware gear. My big DOMOs to パパリウス san for this wonderful work, probably comparable to Max Kellerman san ! I heard this for the first time today, and will update this post after hearing some more days. A word for describing SMPD, it would be 'PRECISION'.

Last edited:
  1. samba : I moved my HDD to Mac and changed my NAS settings to Mac Share, and the problem is gone. Looks like smpd doesn't get along with Windows smb very well !
  2. Airplay : Well, something must have been 'lost in translation' on my audio settings... The sound gets a bit edgy and harsh and the result is less satisfactory when played over Airplay (ethernet, not wifi), to my ears. Though I'd much prefer Kodi UI and there's a tremendous advantage of watching video files in addition to audio files, I decided to stick to the native playing with Cantata front end.
Overall, smpd clearly gives me the best sound quality compared to any renderers out there on RPi, or in fact on any other devices I've experienced so far. My big thanks to Papalius san and the developer group, and wish this wonderful renderer's known to much more people out there ! Cheers and much domos,

Reactions: 1 user
dacs.jpg

For the reference, I use 3 diy DACs (1. Analog Device AD1865(R2R), 2. Burr Brown PCM61(R2R), 3. Asahi Kasei AK4495 (D/S), all run by RPi 3B via I2S. So smpd really is a custom-made solution for me !

Reactions: 1 user