• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

symphonic-mpd

I just installed smpd and want to play music from a local usb drive, i.e. one that is connected to the rpi4 that runs smpd.
Any advice how to achiev this? I only see NAS options.

Hi... there are only instructions for version v0.9X but they might help...

"By default, symphonic-mpd stops supplying bus power to the USB port, so if you want to use USB memory, you need to change that setting.

After connecting ssh,
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Open the file in the editor.

# Disable All USB Port (Without Ethernet)
sudo hub-ctrl -b 1 -d 2 -P 2 -p

Please search the lines above.
Add a "#" to the beginning of the line that starts with "sudo hub-ctrl" to enable bus power delivery to the USB port.

# Disable All USB Port (Without Ethernet)
#sudo hub-ctrl -b 1 -d 2 -P 2 -p
Ctrl-o Enter Ctrl-x
Press Ctrl-o Enter Ctrl-x to save the file and close the editor.

Finally
sudo systemctl reboot

to reboot.

Using USB affects the sound quality. Please make a decision in consideration of convenience. There is a restriction that WAV cannot be played back from USB memory or SD card. If you want to play the WAV, you must disable Direct I/O in the mpd configuration."

Using USB affects the sound quality. Please make a decision in consideration of convenience. There is a restriction that WAV cannot be played back from USB memory or SD card. If you want to play the WAV, you must disable Direct I/O in the mpd configuration."

Thanks!

In my setup using the network (fiber isolated ethernet with Paul Hynes powered downstream router) for audio streaming affects SQ more negatively than playing from a local usb drive, so my question was for SQ, not convenience (I find streaming from the network more convenient).

Also, I mostly play wav files so this wav limitation could be a deal breaker.

Hi Duanbui,

Please go ahead to this page(SMPD Home -> Enquiry in English).
あなたのアカウントでログイン | symphonic-mpd
Create a new thread and ask your question.
A lot of SMPD users are looking at it, so you could get an answer as to why upmpdcli isn't working.
Fabflix suggested that I contact you in the hopes that I might get an account for the Symphonic MPD site. New member here so I can’t DM you. I have been streaming with Volumio and Rune for some time. My new BOSS2 DAC is due tomorrow and I would love to have a go at this MPD. Thanks for your consideration. My email is crashb4@charter.net.

My god, Symphonic MPD is more real and lively. Instruments seem to be so separated and black background. I thought Gentooplayer 70$ was excellent but this takes the crown on my Pi2aes Mercury. Problem is it's hard to get working on mercury. First get a account email: kubotayo@jcom.home.ne.jp After download image:https://www.symphonic-mpd.com/forum/topic/15/ダウンロード-download
Here is tricky part: image does not work with mercury, you have to take and replace 4 files from a working any working os:volumio, moodeaudio, picore etc. sdcard you have : bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb, fixup_cd.dat, start_cd.elf, kernel8.img . Once booted, click update right top corner, then settings, then update button. Next pick the soundcard from right top corner again, select raspi hifiberry digi pro.
Now hit ok and select reboot or force manual poweroff / on button. Optional Now SSH into it via login:root pwd:rasberry , to install upnp (Command: apt install upnp then reboot). Been using windows Stream what you hear program via settings set to PCML16, restarts program, now go to note symbol next to time on bar, right click note, stream to Symphonempd. Or use your android bubblepnp or other upnp programs. No server at the moment or know the commands to enable mercury nvme in this distro.(If anyone knows email me ppsx@yahoo.com). Took days to get working but worth the time spent.

Reactions: 1 users
Greetings good folks

I had sent an email (id bhuvaneshwar.khichi@gmail.com) to @kubotayo san on 3dec for creating an account for symphonic mpd. I have not received intimation yet.

@kubotayo @papalius
Please help

Regards
kbhuvi
I received the approval for symphonic mpd membership.

I am using a rpi 3b with allo digione sig. I have 0.9 version meant for roi 3b. I cant use ethernet cable due to layout of my wifi connection. I carried the rpi unit to my wifi setup and made a temporary connection. SSH into it it and tried to enable the wifi as per a support article on the smpd site regarding enabling wifi on raspberry 3b but it was no go as after reboot there was no net connection.

Any help how to get wifi working on smpd on rpi 3b.

Regards

Last edited:
I received the approval for symphonic mpd membership.

I am using a rpi 3b with allo digione sig. I have 0.9 version meant for roi 3b. I cant use ethernet cable due to layout of my wifi connection. I carried the rpi unit to my wifi setup and made a temporary connection. SSH into it it and tried to enable the wifi as per a support article on the smpd site regarding enabling wifi on raspberry 3b but it was no go as after reboot there was no net connection.

Any help how to get wifi working on smpd on rpi 3b.

Regards
Hi, I followed the below guide to make wifi work. (You need to temporarily connect to wired to be able to ssh to it)
1. edit config.txt
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

2. edit wifi setting
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
⇨ edit your ssid and passwd

3. create new file
sudo nano /boot/wlan0.network
[Match]Name=wlan0
[Network]DHCP=both

4. create link
sudo ln -s /boot/wlan0.network /etc/systemd/network/wlan0.network
5. reboot

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I followed the below guide to make wifi work. (You need to temporarily connect to wired to be able to ssh to it)
1. edit config.txt
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

2. edit wifi setting
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
⇨ edit your ssid and passwd

3. create new file
sudo nano /boot/wlan0.network
[Match]Name=wlan0
[Network]DHCP=both

4. create link
5. reboot
Thanks for reaching out but it is not working. No network through wifi. Even ethernet is now broken. Rpi has booted but no network connection.

Any other ideas please.

Thanks for reaching out but it is not working. No network through wifi. Even ethernet is now broken. Rpi has booted but no network connection.

Any other ideas please.
Sorry to ask, but I just like to know your configuration, do you know how to work with nano? (Ctrl + O, Enter to save ; CtrL+X to quit)

I guess if the ethernet was broken, you cannot access it now. Please reload the OS.

Please check the /boot/eth0.network (In my case, I used fixed IP); then check below settings:

pi@smpd:~ $ sudo nano /boot/config.txt
comment two lines:
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

pi@smpd:~ $ ls /boot/
bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb bootcode.bin eth0.network overlays
bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb cmdline.txt fixup_cd.dat start_cd.elf
bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb config.txt FSCK0000.REC System Volume Information
bcm2835-rpi-a.dtb COPYING.linux kernel7.img wlan0.network
bcm2835-rpi-a-plus.dtb dt-blob.bin LICENCE.broadcom
bcm2836-rpi-2-b.dtb dt-blob.bin.master log
bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb dt-blob.bin.slave log

pi@smpd:~ $ cat /boot/eth0.network
[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
#DHCP=both
Address=192.168.1.8/24
Gateway=192.168.1.1
DNS=192.168.1.1
pi@smpd:~ $ cat /boot/wlan0.network
[Match]
Name=wlan0
[Network]
DHCP=both

pi@smpd:~ $ ls -lat /boot/wlan0.network
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40 May 20 2020 /boot/wlan0.network
pi@smpd:~ $ ls -lat /etc/systemd/network/wlan0.network
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 May 20 2020 /etc/systemd/network/wlan0.network -> /boot/wlan0.network

pi@smpd:~ $ sudo cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="Your wifi SSID"
psk="Your wifi password"
scan_ssid=1
priority=5
}

pi@smpd:~ $

Sorry to ask, but I just like to know your configuration, do you know how to work with nano? (Ctrl + O, Enter to save ; CtrL+X to quit)

Thanks @vucv. for taking the trouble of helping out.

Yes, I can use nano. I wrote the OS again and went through the steps of making the changes to start wifi. After that I ran the commands of troubleshooting as listed by you. All other commands gave the same response as you got above except for these two:

Some of the files listed were different.

This gives an error of no link found.

Tried this command;
and got an error access denied.

Exited from putty and opened the terminal again. This time I ran the command and got the message that file exists in the directory. Rebooted but no wifi or ethernet.
Once I reach home back from work, I will write the OS again afresh and go through the steps again of wifi installation. Then run the two command:
and compare the output to the output posted by you

see what this gets now

Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @vucv. for taking the trouble of helping out.

Yes, I can use nano. I wrote the OS again and went through the steps of making the changes to start wifi. After that I ran the commands of troubleshooting as listed by you. All other commands gave the same response as you got above except for these two:

Some of the files listed were different.

This gives an error of no link found.

Tried this command;
and got an error access denied.

Exited from putty and opened the terminal again. This time I ran the command and got the message that file exists in the directory. Rebooted but no wifi or ethernet.
Once I reach home back from work, I will write the OS again afresh and go through the steps again of wifi installation. Then run the two command:
and compare the output to the output posted by you

see what this gets now

Thanks again
@vucv

I am using the 0.9.6 version with the xenomai kernel. I think the kernel does not have wifi support. I hope I am wrong. How to check this.

Joined 2023
Paid Member
I cannot boot this image. This system system works with firmware like moode, ropieee. I have tried the steps in the FAQ but still same boot problem. Posting here for some ideas. I changed the overlay to the allo-boss-pcm and still same hard hang on boot issue.

Rpi4B & Allo Boss v1.2, Rpi Display. Ethernet, USB Soekris DAC attached.

LED flashes indicate this error
4long 4short Unsupported board type

Here is the config.txt file what is default accept for memory.

SOUND CARD​

dtoverlay=rpi-dac
over_voltage=1
total_mem=8192
startup_sound=on

CLOCK​

#force_turbo=1
# arm_freq=1188
#core_freq=594
#core_freq_min=594
# Sdram_freq=594
# Sdram_freq_min=594