• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Hello together, just before Christmas I got my parts ... great, plug & play I would call that ... right away I did not like the way how the user information is displayed. Without further ado, I built an interface that displays everything in plaintext.

At the moment I am feeding the 1941 with a cd-player over the RCA input. The next step would then be to use as source a raspberry pi, but I still have to think about that. Anyway, the result is already to be described as very good, maybe I'll do something else on the power supply, that still has potential ...
After that I will make a case. I also have to think about that...:)

This looks awesome !

Is there a BOM/links which parts are necessary ?

Best Regards

Frank

Even without balanced...you can switch via firmware the 1941 to unbalanced and double the outcome...so 1921 only if you want to save money, level is big enough to drive what comes next and you never want balanced...not sure though if a balanced --> unbalnced stage afterwards would not wven give more resolution like in the Sabre DAC where using ful balanced signal information adds up...

Thanks for the answer. That is - if I have not read wrong, the second i2s input. That there should be a firmware update, I have also read . But where did the first i2s input hide? Or better asked, which input/header is active when I switch to i2s with the input-pushbutton? I guess I do not see the forest because of the many trees... :)

@ sören: is there an appointment for the firmware update?...and is there a guide that goes a bit more into detail???

Best, Peter

I find it more curious that so few customers even notice the absence of an i2s input.

Compare this to the nervous anticipation for the dsd conversion update. Cause nothing compares to dsd being masterfully converted to pcm in fpga. After all most dsd material was once pcm anyway :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
One would imagine that a single line of code will enable the i2s input...

SPARTAN-6 FPGA has limited "capacity".
For example XC6SLX16 in DAM1021/1121 has 14,579 logic cells, 2,278 slices and 18,224 flip-flops.
Each function requires own circuit design, so the "free space" is decreasing with every new function.

Redesign is very frustrating job (for example we have for years an Xilinx project "waiting for redesign" state :-( ), but if no free space for new function (aka second I2S handling), it's unavoidable.

IMHO it would be better not advertising 1941 as second I2S capable device, before this function is available.

It's not hide. The USB chip using it.

moment ... which input is active when I switch over the input selector switch and the LEDs "I2S" indicate (Green LED D21 on the user interface schematic)? There are 5 input sockets on the 1941-board: USB, AES, COAX, RCA and TOS ... but there are 7 "states", these 5, I2S and Off...the second (not working yet) I2S is probable on J9...
hmpf:(

That does not look really nice ...

P.6 of the manual:

"The dam1941 can be set for “Parallel” mode, in that case it will be single ended outputs with an output impedance of 313 ohms."

p7 otfm:

"set par=value set paramter to value, set alone to show
conspeed = 9600 | 19200 | 38400 | 57600 | 115200 volume = fixed -80 - +10, line output startup volume filter = linear | mixed | minimum | soft
mode = normal | parallel"