• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

By the way what tech or brand do your AP unit use to reach its high speed bandwith ?

No idea. I suspect that's information AP prefers to hold rather tight to the chest.

Very nice, and very pro looking. Great to see that you've taken customer feedback and incorporated that into your module mounting solution. Whole assembly of aluminum back-plate and clamps should make customer installation more easy and foolproof. The blue clamps also go well visually with the blue PCBs. :)

Thank you. Yeah. I rather like the new modules.

What about giving the option of ordering vertical connectors or at least ordering without the connectors assembled.

I'll be happy to do that upon request.

Tom

BTW: If anyone needs binding posts, I now have a couple of types in stock. You can find them in the Solid State Amplifiers & Power Supplies section of my website.

I got tired of chasing down vendors on eBay, Amazon, etc. and buying in onesie-twosie quantities, so I found a good one and worked out a bulk deal. I'm one step closer to being a one-stop shop for high-end DIY audio. :)

Tom

Attachments

• SingleBindingPost-1.jpg
    SingleBindingPost-1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 620
  • TwinBindingPost-3.jpg
    TwinBindingPost-3.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 126
  • TwinBindingPost-2_Annotated.jpg
    TwinBindingPost-2_Annotated.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 136
  • TwinBindingPost-1.jpg
    TwinBindingPost-1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 457
  • SingleBindingPost-3_Annotated2.jpg
    SingleBindingPost-3_Annotated2.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 451
  • SingleBindingPost-3_Annotated.jpg
    SingleBindingPost-3_Annotated.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 447
  • SingleBindingPost-2.jpg
    SingleBindingPost-2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 454
The plastic units on top look pretty much like those included in the ACA kits, while the duals on the bottom are something I’ve used for decades, and are spaced at 3/4”.
I’m thinking if you’ll be stocking these, may as carry the Neutrik XLRs and Speakon 4C as well?
and don’t forget the magic ONHO mono crystal hook-up wire and...
OHNO, maybe forget all that insanity, and stick with sensible goodies.
Cheers from Wade International, BDA - next stop YYZ

Drats, you mentioned YYZ and I had to go and listen to that Rush track... and now I'll end up listening to more music. Thanks to them learned long ago that it's actually the code for the Toronto international airport . :)

According to the DVD/Bluray commentaries, Alex was flying them in and they heard the yyz code in morse and thought it was catchy. The intro of the song is 'yyz' in morse code!

"Title and composition

YYZ is the IATA airport identification code of Toronto Pearson International Airport, near Rush's hometown. The band was introduced to the rhythm as Alex Lifeson flew them into the airport. A VHF omnidirectional range system at the airport broadcasts the YYZ identifier code in Morse code. Peart said in interviews later that the rhythm stuck with them.[3] Peart and Geddy Lee have both said "It's always a happy day when YYZ appears on our luggage tags."[4]

The piece's introduction, played in a time signature of 10/8, repeatedly renders "Y-Y-Z" in Morse Code using various musical arrangements.[5][6]
"YYZ" rendered in Morse code

Y
- . - -
Y
- . - -
Z
- - . ."

YYZ (instrumental - Wikipedia)

I love Rush,
Cheers,
Jeff

PS And remember that "why, why, zed" (Canadian pronunciation)

wcwc, T’rana is not yet in my list of must sees - it’s just a 4hr layover before the 19:55 red-eye direct back to YYJ.
Thankfully my much smarter half long ago signed us up for an elite CC with access to the Executive lounges - one of the perks of her over 40yr career in the banking industry.
Just finishing off my first glass of Peller Estates Cabernet / Merlot and a light mixed plate of quinoa raisin and pasta salad - shortly back for more, I’m thinking.

Yup, sweet & sour pork, or an airport lounge approximation thereof.

Last edited:
The plastic units on top look pretty much like those included in the ACA kits, while the duals on the bottom are something I’ve used for decades, and are spaced at 3/4”.

The duals I've used for decades as well. They're pretty good. I actually bought them from Parts Connexion but decided I liked the single ones better for the Modulus-286 kit. Rather than returning them (and paying return shipping), I figured I might as well sell them. I have 20 of them... The single ones I can see myself stocking more permanently, especially if the Modulus-286 kit takes off (they'll be included in the kit).

I’m thinking if you’ll be stocking these, may as carry the Neutrik XLRs and Speakon 4C as well?

I might. They're in the MOD286 kit also. They're pretty easy to get through Mouser, though.

and don’t forget the magic ONHO mono crystal hook-up wire and...
OHNO, maybe forget all that insanity, and stick with sensible goodies.

Ya know... I could leave a box of boards outside when we get firmly below -20 ºC in the winter time. Sell them as cryogenically treated at ten times the cost. :devilr: :)

Cheers from YYC, where I'm enjoying a Dry Irish Stout from Raven's Brewing Company in Abbotsford, BC thanks to DoubleIPA.

Tom

Mod686 Build Photos and Listening Impressions

It has been three or four weeks since I completed my 686 build and I thought I would share some of the details. The chassis I used was a Dissipante 4U, 300 mm deep, which I re-purposed from a previous build. I started the build process determined to use a pair of RPS-400-36 supplies. With Tom's support, we came to an apparent solution to prevent the slight whine radiating from my tweeters. Long story short, things did not work out quite as planned and I ended up using the RPS-400-27's; slightly less output power for my stereo amp, but dead quiet. So that being said, the amp runs extremely cool, so cool you can probably chill your beer if you hold it against the heatsink.

Beyond the two Meanwell power supplies and Meanwell Controller, here is a list of parts unique to my build:

XLRs: Furutech FT-786(R)
Binding Posts: Furutech FT-807(G)
IEC: Furutech FI-06 NCF(R)
Wire: Neotech UPOCC Stranded, Teflon Jacket (Speakers: 14AWG, XLR's: 24AWG)
Rear Panel: Front Panel Express (Neurochrome logo courtesy of T.C.)

And for the sound…Very engaging, dynamic and still retains and overall neutral tonal balance. I am comparing a bit to the Mod86 I once owned. I liked the overall presentation of the Mod86, but it did not grab hold of you quite like the 686 does. I am not sure what Tom put in the secret sauce, but I am really enjoying the music. I mainly listen to jazz and acoustic guitar. Currently, my ICE Power AS1200 amp is sitting quietly on the sidelines. Eventually I will put it back into the system for a point of comparison. I think I can stop building amplifiers…for now.

Attachments

• image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 1,241
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 1,237
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 1,149
Wow! That is a stunning build you have there! I love the attention to detail that you clearly paid on all the wire routes and such. The back panel is awesome. The logo turned out quite nicely! Too bad it's on the back... :) I like the black front panel with the silver power switch. I'm planning to do something similar for the Modulus-286 Kit (I'll offer both black and silver front panel options but only silver power switch as the model I've chosen for the MOD286 kit is not available in black).

Long story short, things did not work out quite as planned and I ended up using the RPS-400-27's; slightly less output power for my stereo amp, but dead quiet.

Yeah. I'm still wiping the egg off my face on that one. :eek: I'm glad we got the amp working well for you, though. Should you get the itch for more output power, you should have plenty of room in the chassis for an Antek AN-8225 and a Power-686.

And for the sound…Very engaging, dynamic and still retains and overall neutral tonal balance. I am comparing a bit to the Mod86 I once owned. I liked the overall presentation of the Mod86, but it did not grab hold of you quite like the 686 does. I am not sure what Tom put in the secret sauce, but I am really enjoying the music. I mainly listen to jazz and acoustic guitar.

Awesome. Account like that always bring a smile to my face.

Currently, my ICE Power AS1200 amp is sitting quietly on the sidelines. Eventually I will put it back into the system for a point of comparison. I think I can stop building amplifiers…for now.

Yeah... My Modulus amps (especially the MOD686) has a way of unseating Class D amps - even the truly excellent ones. :)

Tom

sledwards12375,

I echo the sentiments shared by Asuslover, Anand and Tom... top notch build (and setup), attention to detail, neatness, and symmetry is pretty stunning :). Very well executed, and as a fellow Mod-86 owner, you make me want to build a Mod-686 too!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I don’t know why I didn’t clue in to what the advantage of installing one channel board would be, but it certainly made for a very tidy wiring job. Nicely done indeed.

I can definitely attest to the “grab” of the 686, I trust the 286 will deliver much the same.

Last edited: