• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

The datasheet has an error. It indicates that the V- terminal is connect to ground. In fact both V+ and V- outputs are floating relative to ground. (This error was confirmed by MeanWell). Of the two supplies the one that drives +36V to the amps has it's V- output connected to ground, and the one that drives -36V has it's V+ output connected to ground.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
The datasheet has an error. It indicates that the V- terminal is connect to ground. In fact both V+ and V- outputs are floating relative to ground. (This error was confirmed by MeanWell). Of the two supplies the one that drives +36V to the amps has it's V- output connected to ground, and the one that drives -36V has it's V+ output connected to ground.

Thanks Brian. That's how I thought it would work, but then doubted myself after looking at the block diagram in the datasheet.

Regarding supply capacitance: Duly noted. I'll definitely consider adding more capacitance. Maybe 4x22000 uF. Even if science says it isn't necessary for the Modulus amps, market perceptions do factor into the equation as well. I "just" need to make sure the soft start circuit can handle the additional energy storage of the caps.

Looks very good to me, especially if you will also add a soft start and perhaps a speaker protection all in one.
I'll order the transformers for last, since the difference between 400 and 500VA is trivial on the ones I want.

Looks very good to me, especially if you will also add a soft start and perhaps a speaker protection all in one.

I'll do the speaker protection separately, I think. That way you can bolt the speaker protection board directly onto the rear panel of the amp with the output connections. I'm not 200 % decided on this, but that's the direction I'm leaning. I'd also like to keep the speaker connections away from the mains wiring to the extent possible.

I'll order the transformers for last, since the difference between 400 and 500VA is trivial on the ones I want.

Good idea.

Tom

Thanks. I looked at that a while back. As always, the details are in the data sheet (which is available through the grey button in the upper right of the page you link to). Max output voltage is ±46 V, which is too much for the Modulus-686 (or any other LM3886-based amp).

Bummer... I was as excited as you probably were when I saw the ±36 V "spec", only to have that sinking feeling once I read the data sheet.

The data sheet says the typical output voltage is ±40 V, so I wonder how Hypex came up with the ±36 V figure. #whatever... Back to the Power-686 design. :)

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.06.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.06.44 PM.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 472
I am wondering, music is non-steady and non-symmetric signal, so how does this reflect on the power supply? I should be getting a data logger this year, and hope to look into this aspect, but I wonder how whether this has been looked into before. Matching the power supply to the amp would be one specific reason for a custom built.

Bummer... I was as excited as you probably were when I saw the ±36 V "spec", only to have that sinking feeling once I read the data sheet.

The data sheet says the typical output voltage is ±40 V, so I wonder how Hypex came up with the ±36 V figure. #whatever... Back to the Power-686 design. :)
Sorry for raising false hopes :(

Regarding the Power-686, why design a linear supply if an SMPS is inehrently better?

Linear power supplies can dump a lot of noise onto the power line even if the diodes are properly snubbered. It's likely that supplies such as the MeanWell which have active power factor correction (PFC) would dump less noise onto the power line and any noise from them is of higher frequency and more amenable to filtering than that of a linear supply.

any noise from them is of higher frequency

Absolutely correct.

and more amenable to filtering than that of a linear supply.

Is this true? Downstream in the amp itself yes. But on the other side? What those RFI cause to the rest of the equipment?
I have no evidence whatsoever but I know some people uses isolation transformers and some little filters to isolate from swtiching noise, while others get to the point of changing all SMPTS to linear ones in any equipment connected to the same power line.
This is why I would like to see some proper measurements done.

The famous Benchmark amp makes those claims, but they do not say a word about upstream noise. Anectodal evidence shows that their amp is far from perfect. Likewise their DAC. This could be one of the reasons.