Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #9041
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Interesting, thanks!

Mine is the best version availibile in a Rev5 board (dam1021-12, I think it's a mix of 0.01 and 0.02 resistors).

Signal goes from the DAM1021 single ended outputs into my own output amp/buffer/balancing stage and then back into the DCS904.

The sucessor to the Aurora, the Lynx Hilo measures better than the former has in my test, even though it uses the same converter chip:

Lynx Hilo DAC/ADC Review and Measurements (part 1: DAC) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

But my DAM1021 measures far better in my test than any converter's measurements I have seen so far. Looks like it stays within 0.1 dB up to 21 bits (-124 dbB).

The DAM1021 is better at 24 bits than the Aurora16 at 20 bits and abberation at the highest levels is far lower (y-axis has 3 times the scale for the Aurora measurement). That's really something.
The advantage of the sign magnitude principle, which all my DACs and DAC modules use, level linearity, which is what really matters for music....

But ASR is kinda falling there, as they don't filter noise, so noise affect the results....

Over at SBAF they also measured a dac1541 down to -140 dB.

And check the pcm1704 datasheet, the only place I have ever seen a sinus at -110 dB look like a sinus in a datasheet....
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #9042
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

How could you improve to get higher order harmonics be a bit lower?

I'm not sure it would be audible but it would probably improve business

//

Last edited by TNT; Yesterday at 08:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #9043
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
This is according to the Si570 datasheet:

Settling Time for Small Frequency Change (<±3500 ppm from center frequency) is 100 µs

Settling Time for Large Frequency Change (>±3500 ppm from center frequency after setting NewFreq bit) is 10 ms
Actually the si570 datasheet also said this very important:

"the device allows reprogramming
of the DCO frequency up to ±3500 ppm from the center
frequency configuration without interruption to the
output clock."

Meaning no glitches with 3500 ppm change, the number for the si514 is no glitches with 1000 ppm change.... That what I use for my tracking, one reason I want to stick with the SiLabs parts....

But I am planning to work on my PLL, but don't expect new dam1021 firmware soon, it will come first for the dac2541, that use the Si570, and then backported to older products.
What I'm thinking about now is to extend the initial measurement of the incoming clock, before switching to the slow PLL, and then do fewer updates at higher resolution. Right now I first measure the incoming clock at 100 mS, open up for audio output, and then again measure over 1 sec and adjust. The goal was to have very shot interruptions between sample rate changes.

Remember that a lot of design decision was taken over 6 years ago....

And I will not add multiple modes, the preferred way is that it just work for any signal, adding a switch is stupid, in my opinion.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #9044
diyAudio Member

Of course its better with one solution. But are you willing to miss potential performance? I mean you could ship with the "normal" setting and just make it possible for the "more interested" to have yet one level of potential SQ - I mean if it can't be reached otherwise.

You do offer different filters... why?

We can handle one more setting - no problems ;-D

//
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #9045
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
How could you improve to get higher order harmonics be a bit lower?

I'm not sure it would be audible but it would probably improve business

//
Exatly, too many are focused just on the numbers.... I'm experimenting with calibration, which should lower measured THD, but in my opinion don't affect the sound, neither in positive or negative way. I'm already at THD of 0.003% without calibration....
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #9046
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Of course its better with one solution. But are you willing to miss potential performance? I mean you could ship with the "normal" setting and just make it possible for the "more interested" to have yet one level of potential SQ - I mean if it can't be reached otherwise.
We disagree there, I want to reach good sound quality with one PLL setting, and will prefer to work on that instead of your suggestions...

Quote:
You do offer different filters... why?

We can handle one more setting - no problems ;-D

//
Different filters for sure have different sound, no disagreement there....
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #9047
diyAudio Member

I'm glad that you consider to upgrade you old products - kudos and thanks for that!!

//
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #9048
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
The advantage of the sign magnitude principle, which all my DACs and DAC modules use, level linearity, which is what really matters for music....

But ASR is kinda falling there, as they don't filter noise, so noise affect the results....

Over at SBAF they also measured a dac1541 down to -140 dB.

And check the pcm1704 datasheet, the only place I have ever seen a sinus at -110 dB look like a sinus in a datasheet....
Yes, I tried to explain this in other threads but the concept appears hard to grasp for many. Though it is so important, especially if you go directly into a power amp. Probably normally the 20+ bit is not so audible, but in case you have significant power amp gain, having this headroom in SNR and similar linear range (at lower branches of the R2R) matters a lot...
Old Today, 02:12 AM   #9049
living sounds is online now living sounds  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
But I am planning to work on my PLL, but don't expect new dam1021 firmware soon, it will come first for the dac2541, that use the Si570, and then backported to older products.
What I'm thinking about now is to extend the initial measurement of the incoming clock, before switching to the slow PLL, and then do fewer updates at higher resolution. Right now I first measure the incoming clock at 100 mS, open up for audio output, and then again measure over 1 sec and adjust. The goal was to have very shot interruptions between sample rate changes.
Thanks Soeren, looking forward to it!
  Reply to this post

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!