• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ/Brian

There may be an issue with LCDPS powered at 12V ac driving the Buffalo at 192k. I use it as a preregulator feeding an ALW regulator at 11.5V. However, at 192k playback, regulation is inetermittantly lost due perhaps to higher current than atticpated thru the R-LR network.

I shall have a look at the Rs associated with the LM317 later.

fmak said:
Russ/Brian

There may be an issue with LCDPS powered at 12V ac driving the Buffalo at 192k. I use it as a preregulator feeding an ALW regulator at 11.5V. However, at 192k playback, regulation is inetermittantly lost due perhaps to higher current than atticpated thru the R-LR network.

I shall have a look at the Rs associated with the LM317 later.

You probably have too much current for the voltage drop accross R1-4 with your 12V secondaries.

You should either jumper those Rs or use a smaller value say 1-2 ohms based on your transformer.

12VAC secondaries with 11.5V output is not that much headroom.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

You probably have too much current for the voltage drop accross R1-4 with your 12V secondaries.

You should either jumper those Rs or use a smaller value say 1-2 ohms based on your transformer.

12VAC secondaries with 11.5V output is not that much headroom.

Cheers!
Russ

Yes, about 100 mA for Vdd. I was going to try 6-8 Ohm.

Russ, do you know if Buffalo/Ivy balanced inverts phase?

Fred

Russ,

got the email and well set to work on it. I ordered the stuff from mouser anyway as the $$ were starting to seriously mount up!! Anyway I need to order more stuff early in Jan for a new phonoclone build and also some ALWSR regulators.

For those who are using a "super" regulator like jung/ALWSR/teddyreg - are all of you using the LCBPS/DPS as the input voltage? I'm just wondering if a simple CRC filter before the super reg would be better?

Whats the collective wisdom on this? I can tell you that I am using the LCBPS/teddyreg combo and it does sound great.

Fran

woodturner-fran said:
Russ,

For those who are using a "super" regulator like jung/ALWSR/teddyreg - are all of you using the LCBPS/DPS as the input voltage? I'm just wondering if a simple CRC filter before the super reg would be better?

Whats the collective wisdom on this? I can tell you that I am using the LCBPS/teddyreg combo and it does sound great.

Fran

The ALW regulator with prereg sounds considerably more transparent (and better).

There is no measurable advantage to using the teddy prereg and one disadvantage. The 317/337 prereg offers some protection; there is none with the teddy prereg which also takes time to charge up. There is also no rationale for having a preg stage which is quieter than the supreg stage (about 3 uV wideband as opposed to 6 uV).

fmak said:

There is no measurable advantage to using the teddy prereg and one disadvantage. The 317/337 prereg offers some protection; there is none with the teddy prereg which also takes time to charge up. There is also no rationale for having a preg stage which is quieter than the supreg stage (about 3 uV wideband as opposed to 6 uV).

Do you mean that LCDPS/BPS are quieter than the teddyreg?

I found the following rather confusing ...

The ALW regulator with prereg sounds considerably more transparent (and better).

Better than what?

There is no measurable advantage to using the teddy prereg and one disadvantage.

Compared to what?

The 317/337 prereg offers some protection; there is none with the teddy prereg which also takes time to charge up.

Protection form what? Plus the teddyreg uses an LM317.

Why the 337? It's negative.

What relevance does charging time have?

Any clarification appreciated.

Fmak,

I appreciate your report and effort.

I think your regulator conversation is interesting, but honestly its probably best to give discussion of any particular power supply and your subjective review its own thread. I am sure there are interested folks, but it's not really on topic for our thread which is supposed to focus on our particular project.

So since this is our vendor thread I respectfully request that such topics be moved to their own threads so they can get the focused attention they deserve. I will be happy to join in the conversation there. This will keep this thread better focused.

I am not trying to squelch discussion, just trying to keep things in perspective and on topic.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks!
Russ

Russ White said:

Hi Fran, sent it to the email address I had. I hope you got it. :)

Leo has already started testing his proto Counterpoint. He built it in record time. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Unfortunately I've not had as much time as I wanted, bloody busy with work:bawling:

I did get chance to build it and initial impressions for the Counterpoint are very very promising;)
She's sounding extremely sweet! I think you may have a winner on your hands guys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.