• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ZOTL and ferrites

Mono Zotl amps plus some QuadratureZ experiments:
SVOJ7000.JPG
SDTG4652.JPG
NVGF0509.JPG
XRGF6916.JPG
DOOT3239.JPG
ILQO5057.JPG
HXTF1515.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Just read through this thread and I have to say that I am intrigued. A ZOTL amplifier seems very appealing and I am surprised it hasn't found more traction, especially in the DIY space, but then again there are lots of people who think silicon and switching are the devil when it comes to audio.

Getting more or less the full power potential out of my tubes without needing big, heavy and expensive transformers seems absolutely excellent to me! Really opens up the possibility to make some wild stuff with esoteric tubes too if the design process isn't too bad. Maybe that's why it's not done much too?

Think I'll be giving this a try in spice come Monday at least!

Reactions: 1 user
Update:

Some corrections from the last simulation where I have completely forgot about tube bias.

I hope it sheds some light on how this topology works. I will need to consult with some smarter people and try to get back with a closer to reality simulation.

Silviu
It's been a few years, so I'm not sure if anyone is still following this. I've reproduced this model (from the image) and appear to get similar results at the nodes you've plotted, but I've noticed some odd behavior when I probe further. For example, it seems like the lower power source is suppling about double the current of the upper source and the switching waveforms are unusual. It could be an error on my schematic copying though. @savu is it possible that you could upload your LTSpice file and the libraries needed to go with it? I'd like to see why I can't seem to reproduce your results.