• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power supply fault in preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anything after the R206 is suspect since you are getting 250vdc before that resistor..
you can even replace it with 47k, i do not see why it has to be that high in value..
unless the designer was looking for a delay of 3.3 secs ....did you wait a few secs before you measure output voltage?

Last edited:
lift them one lead first then measure again.....

long time ago, i serviced a fisher 400 with one output tube red plating, replacing the cap with a new one got rid of the red plating...mind you i could not find anything wrong with that EROS cap, even bought a megger to test it but no, it tested good..

I know exactly what you mean. I had a failed amplifier that was caused by a resistor. Test absolutely fine but under strain went hot and and lost or gain resistance and made the circuit not work!

I have a pretty decent meter and all the caps measured about the same. They are expensive type capacitors but if that will certainly fix the problem then it might be worth the investment!

So your suggesting its not any of the resistors or diodes?

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_224513000.jpg
    IMG_20200724_224513000.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 75
reason i asked you to float one end of the caps is to see how the circuit reacted without them in circuit...prefferably float the end that is not connected to ground...

let us see how it goes...next step is to remove the mosfets....i use the 2sk3565 fully encapsulated mosfets, its got a built in zener gate protection clamps...

The MOSFETs used are IRF IBE20G

I rather just replace parts then have the circuit go wrong. I will look into replacing the caps and resistors. I may start with the resistors first as they are cheaper and easier and see how it does.

I have not tested those MOSFETs either, I hope they are still OK!

Thanks. I'm in UK and I have seen those Audiophiler caps. I just want to gather enough information before spending more money to isolate the problem. Last thing I want it to spend money on new caps and resistors which may not be much then then for it to not work again!

Although I have generally found what was causing the issue which is a massive step forward! And its been very helpful with people contributing different ideas and technical expertise!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.