• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The "Stupendous" 6P1P 4PP amplifier!

If you have sensitive enough speakers - it's only about 10W... otherwise you might like my MA-1 modular amp (it goes from 6SN7 flea to 6P45S 80W+ - just pick the output boards you want. Want to swap the output? Swap in other boards (and possibly change all the coils) :) It supports over 40 tube types at the moment.

It sounds pretty damned good though. Doesn't even need a compensation cap in the NFB loop - 1k resistor is it. I'm driving it with my 6F12P VA/PI board.

Attachments

• 2021-03-12 11-48-30.jpg
    2021-03-12 11-48-30.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I built an amp with parallel 6N6P - I ended up going 6P15P pentode in that one.

When I build with 6P43P, I use one pair and still get more power out than with this 4PP 6P1P :)

1 pair into VPT12 (~2k2@6R load) works wonders. The same load at I'm using on this stupendous.

BTW there's nothing stopping people from using this board as an 8SE amp. Just parallel in and out and find an SE transformer that likes 320mA idle current...

Still good news

Hi Koda
I got lost in the posts. :) I finished building the schematic from post # 72 I just had to find time to test it and now I see this. What are the differences between that scheme and this in addition to the lower current draw from 41mA to 38mA. Is the driver stage still CCDA? Is the 6N6P still polarized at around 15mA? What is this 6P43P? because I have transformers for SE of about 600R 125 mA
Regards Stefano

The board has no driver or plase splitter. It can be used as 4PP or 8SE (or less by removing pairs)

6P43P is a different tube type that is similar to an EL86. When connected as a triode, it's quite a linear capable tube.

My ohms law says your SE coils are good for 9W (5W if you want good LF)
A single triode connected EL509 might suit 600R loading, bias set 100mA, about 250V plate volts?

EDIT: This design has changed many times. Read through the thread. The last posted schematic in the thread is the most current.

So the design uses a PPPP design meaning 8 6P1P per channel.

What do you all think of this?

It has been done over 25 years ago with success using 8 xEL34 per channel, mono amps. Triode connection and 60W in class A at 1% THD. no feedback. Sold as a kit.

Amplificatore VTA The Last e preampli Kueyen bay Bartolomeo Aloia - YouTube

So don't see why this should be an exception if well sorted out.

Remember you suggested I run my 6p1p a little less (38mA) for the output transformer. So it's going to be 304mA per channel. Comes out at a 10Volt drop and 3.05 Watts dissipation. I played around with PSU designer. And liked what I saw going up from say 10R. Plus I had these nice fat 33R/13Watt resistors lying around.

I forgot you're going dual mono...

I use one PS board in a stereo amp :)