UFO's- Please help me process

Status
Not open for further replies.
But an intelligent being did come out of that chapter.
It just took a few million more years (which I took as the point of the comment that took the thread in this direction).
I think you may be mixing up the definition of "chapter".

Let me restate. We are no more intelligent than were our ancestors who lived 10,000 years ago. Our technology far exceeds their tech. We have more knowledge of many things that they do not and they have knowledge of things that we do not have (an almost encyclopedic knowledge of local plants and their uses, etc.)

Another example - when Europeans came to N. American they had more technology than did the Natives but they were not more intelligent than were the Natives.

Dolphins, like us, are intelligent animals. Without hands I can't imagine how they could acquire technology. If you make a dolphin 1000X more intelligent they would still have problems acquiring technology.

If you do not use your intelligence to make technology are you then not so intelligent? I don't think that's the case.... Technology can only come from intelligence (therefor they are linked, you are correct) but the lack of technology does not mean a lack of intelligence....technology only makes intelligence easier to identify.

Or at least that's what I think....
Fire was the key ingredient to make advancements that we currently have. Why fire? Because stars and planets are made from fire (high temperature). The legend of Prometheus makes sense. :scratch2: It's not just intelligence but right condition has to be met, i.e. Goldielock zone of solar systems. Underwater environment obviously won't meet the condition to wield fire.

As for different areas of human settlements with varying degrees of technological advancements, it has to do with varying degrees of conditions that spawned different levels of adaptations thus different results after thousands of years.

Found this interesting tidbit regarding Project Twinkle, a research project started under Project Grudge to study the “green fireballs” reported to be visiting military bases.

Clyde Tombaugh, the astronomer who discovered the planet Pluto:
“I have seen three objects in the last seven years which defied any explanation of known phenomenon, such as Venus, atmospheric optic, meteors or planes. I am a professional, highly skilled, professional astronomer. In addition I have seen three green fireballs which were unusual in behavior from normal green fireballs… I think that several reputable scientists are being unscientific in refusing to entertain the possibility of extraterrestrial origin and nature.”

Link

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Is this more interesting than any other tid bit? So some guy gazing through his telescope one night discovers something(stationary) that no one has yet seen against a sky with trillions of objects and this is now an attribute to his expertise in differentiating UFOs from natural phenomena. :rolleyes:

More like a revelation he's a flake.

Found this interesting tidbit regarding Project Twinkle, a research project started under Project Grudge to study the “green fireballs” reported to be visiting military bases.

Clyde Tombaugh, the astronomer who discovered the planet Pluto:

Link

Don't let these responses to this comment get you down. For many people when they don't have something valuable to contribute saying anything will do. The thought never occurs to exercise restraint in such a case and keep their mouth, er keyboard, shut. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You misunderstood me. I'm not voting up or down here. What I'm saying is that you have a disposition to be critical when the better decision is to not say anything. I know for a fact that even though you don't know me your first reaction was to ascribe motives to me that were not true. That's just yours, and many other peoples, modus operandi. Being cynical is not a measure of intelligence if thats' what you thought. It's more akin to desperation because you think you have to say "something".

When I was ten I took that position too and would cut up in the back of the class with my friends. I grew out of it.

OK, I’ll bite, if too much humour is, too much, then back to green fireballs.

And to answer sofaspud, the normal one’s are meteors with nickel and/or copper content. Somebody familiar with them says he saw 3 that behaved a little differently over the course of 7 years, if I read it right. That for me, means too little by itself, after all the behaviour of a meteor burning in the atmosphere will depend on the distribution of materials within etc. and so why shouldn’t a couple of these fireworks behaviour be different, that’s just statistics.

Last edited:
One aspect lacking from the intelligence sub-thread is a sophisticated communications. Humans directed technology efforts there to create not just spoken language but written, printed, and electronic capabilities.
There are interesting studies concerning intelligence and conditions & environment.

I'm amenable to being called names, if that's the price for learning what a normal green fireball is. Just sayin'.
edit: Agree, Bigun. That reflects my own thoughts.

Last edited:
...BTW, this group at Oxford U have also done quite a bit of work on interstellar and intergalactic colonization, ‘early’ and ‘late’ aliens and some of the challenges of bridging these distances. They say it’s feasible and then go onto ask ‘why aren’t we swamped with aliens already?

In response to that, I'll repeat something which I posted upthread:

The whole question of the, "where is everyone", Fermi paradox presupposes that other advanced civilizations currently wish for us to be aware of them and make contact. Is it so difficult to imagine that advanced civilizations may have found other means of communicating other than via RF, which we don't yet have? Suppose that they have the technology to communicate via modulating space-time, just as an example? Would we easily detect that? It seems that the only civilizations we might detect would be ones that are, essentially, exactly at our own level of technical development. Should they be, say, only 100 years behind us in technology, they would not yet able to send signals in to space with enough power for detection. Should they, instead, be only 100 years ahead of us in technology, they may easily have developed the ability to communicate by some means which we cannot yet detect. Until they are ready for us to detect them.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
it’s an astronomy thing. You stay up all night, no mates, just looking through this eyepiece, freezing your socks off, a bottle of your favourite to stay warm and telling yourself you don’t need sleep. Eventually, after some years of this, you begin to see green fireballs.

And I thought fireballs only came out the next morning after spicy tacos from the night before. :eek:

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

The whole question of the, "where is everyone", Fermi paradox presupposes that other advanced civilizations currently wish for us to be aware of them and make contact. Is it so difficult to imagine that advanced civilizations may have found other means of communicating other than via RF, which we don't yet have? Suppose that they have the technology to communicate via modulating space-time, just as an example? Would we easily detect that? It seems that the only civilizations we might detect would be ones that are, essentially, exactly at our own level of technical development. Should they be, say, only 100 years behind us in technology, they would not yet able to send signals in to space with enough power for detection. Should they, instead, be only 100 years ahead of us in technology, they may easily have developed the ability to communicate by some means which we cannot yet detect. Until they are ready for us to detect them.

I’m quite sure we could recognize the technological footprint of a superior civilization. Just a few years ago everyone was talking about Tabby’s Star which turned out not to be an advanced alien civilization who had built a vast network of receptors around their star to capture energy, but more like a dust cloud. This stuff has been written about in academia for over 50 yrs.

The point of the articles I linked to is that a civilization a million or 10 million years ahead of ours would probably by that stage have colonized large parts of their home Galaxy if they had the curiosity of humans. However, we see no evidence of that. If evolution from organic building block molecules to highly intelligent beings was a dead cert process, it wouldn’t take billions of years and the Milky Way would be teaming with aliens - remember the bar scene in Star Wars?

Sandberg (an Astro biologist - did anyone read the article I linked to?) then posits the question why has this not happened? And the answer it seems is that going from strings of molecules that are the building blocks of life to humans is a 4 billion year evolutionary journey fraught with dead ends, disasters and forks in the road that lead to either dead planets or planets that harbor only simple life forms ie it is pure luck we end up where we are. The latest thinking on the subject is one advanced civilization per Galaxy.

See also Why We are Alone in the Galaxy | Marc Defant | TEDxUSF - YouTube

I appreciate that for every paper or video claiming intelligent extraterrestrial life is rare there will be others claiming the opposite, but for now, I think ET is rare to nonexistent and remain to be convinced.

:)

Last edited:

The whole question of the, "where is everyone", Fermi paradox presupposes that other advanced civilizations currently wish for us to be aware of them and make contact.

I thought this was answered already, perhaps in the ‘other’ thread, something about a Dark Forest theory which made a good deal of sense. No, they do not wish us to be aware of them.

Guinan: “since they are aware of your existence...” Picard: “...they will be coming”

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I don’t mind the jokes but could you at least try and make them funny?
You mean like yours about Edmund Halley? Perhaps you could explain his relevance to this topic? How did he describe what he saw?

For anyone curious, the earliest and most comprehensive coverage of the “green fireballs” is in former head of the USAF Project Blue Book Edward J. Ruppelt’s 1956 book The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects.

The FOIA documents I linked to before are another source.
You can make it appear as important as you wish, yet history has a tendency to spill the beans.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here’s the Intro to Anders Sandberg’s paper

Attachments

• 18437C46-EF02-4F27-90BA-9465C6D5EF39.jpg
    18437C46-EF02-4F27-90BA-9465C6D5EF39.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 88
Status
Not open for further replies.