The Black Hole......

I figure the appeal of C is that it lets you do "dangerous" things, like whatever you want with memory.

I had to laugh at that statement..

I had to learn the Delta Tau motion control platform in order to fix some problems that were being encountered nobody could figure out.

My saying on the delta tau is this..

The good thing is, the code allows you access to absolutely everything so gives the programmer absolute power....

The bad thing, is...the code allows you access to absolutely everything so gives the programmer absolute power....

Always be careful what you wish for..

jn

I have already explained on another thread but it looks like there is no chance you can understand. It's your problem.

And yes these are a list of diy boards shared from two hobbyists on a diy audio forum, nothing more.
No audio company, no audio professionals, no commercial interest, since we build these devices for ourselves.

And yes they are not for free, although they are a bargain.
We are not San Francesco (or Saint Francis for those who does not understand italian language).
We spent a lot of money to build these devices and achieve such results (our time is almost for free).

Unlike your bric-à-brac phono stage our oscillators by measurements (your obsession) are in the class of the Wenzel ones (see table).
Our XO:
Pn 1Hz dBc/Hz -123
Pn 10Hz dBc/Hz -155
Pn 100Hz dBc/Hz -157
Pn 1kHz dBc/Hz -168
Pn 10kHz dBc/Hz -171

And since you have not understood anything about oscillators, it's almost obviuos that our oscillators have poor long term stability since we have not implemented an oven.
In audio we don't need it but in case we will use your phono stage to control the oven, although one opamp is more than enough, maybe we can parallel them so the servo will measure spectacular.

Finally, you can't listen to the Wenzel low frequency jitter because you measure but not listen.

Really Andreas, your droppings are in the wrong place. Isn't it funny, you are posting measurements and numbers, then blame others of "measure but not listen".

Good luck, hopefully Wenzel will buy some of your oscillators for the next mission to Mars, or maybe for the James Webb Telescope.

Really Andreas, your droppings are in the wrong place. Isn't it funny, you are posting measurements and numbers, then blame others of "measure but not listen".

Good luck, hopefully Wenzel will buy some of your oscillators for the next mission to Mars, or maybe for the James Webb Telescope.

I measure and listen, you "measure but not listen".

I have nothing to sell to Wenzel, maybe you can sell them your phono stage.
After the Martians have listened to it, they will surely not invade the earth.
You invented the space shield.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don’t think C lets you access directly the CPU registers. That is in assembler only, although knowing the C compiler code generation strategies would allow a C programmer to write C code that would compile to optimized machine code.

Most of the peripheral drivers on the mbed platform are written in C - you can access the associated uC registers. This is an embedded dev platform so it makes sense. It was the same on the Keil 8 bit C compiler. I cannot speak about the PC - might be different there because you have a massive OS between the code and the machine.

As others have pointed out, inline assembler also if you want to go that low, but I have never done it.

Last edited:
It was done in collaboration with Ayre if I remember correctly. No surprise it didn’t measure well given their design philosophy.

I thought I saw an article on how Neil Young was anti MQA and Tidal. It wasn’t because MQA is BS, but seemed more like sour grapes since Tidal has had some success and Pono tanked. Oops.

Most of the peripheral drivers on the mbed platform are written in C - you can access the associated uC registers. This is an embedded dev platform so it makes sense. It was the same on the Keil 8 bit C compiler. I cannot speak about the PC - might be different there because you have a massive OS between the code and the machine.

As others have pointed out, inline assembler also if you want to go that low, but I have never done it.

Yeah on most embedded platforms, the peripheral registers are memory mapped and then declared in a header file.

Embedded systems with uCs are long gone :) Unless you want to call an Atmel or Microchip board "embedded system".

Last edited:
I measure and listen, you "measure but not listen".

Really? Are you sure? I don't recall sharing anything about my habits.

I have nothing to sell to Wenzel

Or they are not stupid enough to buy as you believe is the audiophool crowd you are targeting with your shameless advertising.

I did not use the ignore list for a very long time, but you crossed the threshold.

The application requires the ability to send G code "like" positional information in coordinated moves of 6 axis, with 4 more controlled in real time. Feedback from the controller amps position is used to calculate tip velocity, this used for a few algorithms including ultrasonic power levels and wire feed velocity (think of a bowden tube feed on a 3-D printer).
When I built it back in the day, the ISA buss was the limiting factor, 8 bits at 33 mhz backplane speeds was the limit. Luckily, modern computers won't be the determining factor for communication, fiber is a distinct possibility.

I’m not sure of the timing requirements, but in C# you may have to be a little careful. I’ve seen a system designed with very small buffers transferring a couple hundred MB/s to a C# application have a buffer overrun occasionally when the garbage collector would run. Probably not a concern for most applications, but one of the tradeoffs of C# or Java. Seems like it would be straightforward to test though.

Latency Modes | Microsoft Docs

I don’t think C lets you access directly the CPU registers. That is in assembler only, although knowing the C compiler code generation strategies would allow a C programmer to write C code that would compile to optimized machine code.

Depends I guess, the MAC C environment let you do inline assembler for the 68040. I did lots of fun stuff like an optimized FFT that was faster than Mathematica's.

Yeah, with John's case, I'd be worried about variable latency. How real time does real time need to be? And how much of this code would be on an embedded computer versus something running non-realtime OS. Is this not something that could be put onto an FPGA board as dedicated hardware?

That said, a lot of these issues have been worked on with programs like LinuxCNC, which by description you're not far from using (or the NIST-based underlying code)

A great guy and really smart, we traded emails years ago on electrometer issues.

Did he listen to electrometers? If not...

I crossed with Charles several times in the past, in some <ahem> commissions. I think he sold his >40 years company a few years ago, to a major defence contractor in the US. The brand remained unchanged.

Last edited: