The Black Hole......

oops misread Han's numbers. The 400 mv was the dimmer click.

There are three tried and true methods to address these problems.
1. try to fix the victim, what Hans did.
2 try to fix the aggressor, the dimmer...seldom easy, depending on the dimmer itself.
3. try to remove the coupling. this can be done by fixing the house wiring (seldom possible), or rearrange the victim equipment line and signal wiring to eliminate the coupling loop.

jn

edit: I noted discussion of C and C++... The guy working the code for my machines is looking at C#... anybody use that? and, is it a stable platform? (stable as in useable for the next 25 years).

Last edited:
It was somewhere on the other forum and I didn't save it.

So you and Mark are not on the same side, I was under the impression that he and his posse were using ESS/AKM/etc. DAC's.

Yes, I'm on the ladder DAC side.

Except for a couple of DAC designed for instrumentation (AD5791 and TI DAC11001) they are no longer available on the market.
So we are designing our own discrete segmented/R2R DAC with digital calibration to achieve the best INL/DNL as possible.
And of course with the utmost care of the DAC timing (word clock).

Since you listen to a DAC rather than watch it the only possible difference is the "audible" one.
So when I write "difference" by definition I mean "audible difference".

But since you keep climbing on mirrors I quote again your claim: "Every level matched double blind listening test I've read about show no audible difference between expensive and cheap contemporary DACs".

This means that you can buy indifferently a 47 Euro DAC or a 100k USD DAC because the sonic result is the same ("no audible difference between").

I wonder if you have ever listened to a dac or if you spend your life reading the measurement graphs so you have no more time for listening.
So you won't ask others. You being so confident of your English reading comprehension skill, what are you afraid of?

You still don't know how many none level matched none double blind listening test of DACs I've read about because you have no inclination to find out. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

So you won't ask others. You being so confident of your English reading comprehension skill, what are you afraid of?

You still don't know how many none level matched none double blind listening test of DACs I've read about because you have no inclination to find out. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

My English reading comprehension skill is far better than your Italian reading comprehension skill.
On the other skills it is best that I do not comment.

I wonder what is the contribution of people like you to this forum.
And I can't find answers.

The difference is that I don't post on Italian forum.

Because you don't post, you copy and paste.
So I'm not very interested in the comments of those who claim something by hearsay.

And I would kindly ask you to help me understand what is the contribution of people like you to this forum.

For starter, you can ask how many none level matched none double blind listening test of DACs I've read about.

Maybe you don't understand, I'm not really interested in what you copied and pasted.

While I'm very interested to understand what is the contribution of people like you to this forum.
I am so interested that I also ask the other members of the forum, maybe someone could explain.

So I'm not very interested in the comments of those who claim something by hearsay.

A strange comment IMO. Folks here are often criticized for flaws in their DBT's and links to the literature are shot out by the usual suspects. Then in some DAC threads anyone's opinion is accepted no matter how it was arrived at. What I would call hearsay. BTW I suggest the personal attacks are unnecessary, keep it to listening methodology.

Last edited:
A strange comment IMO. Folks here are often criticized for flaws in their DBT's and links to the literature are shot out by the usual suspects. Then in some DAC threads anyone's opinion is accepted no matter how it was arrived at. What I would call hearsay. BTW I suggest the personal attacks are unnecessary, keep it to listening methodology.

I call it "hearsay" when someone copies and pastes without knowing what he is typing.
In this case the contribution to the forum is null.

Usually I'm not the ones who attack, but I also know how to defend myself if necessary.
However, I agree with your suggestion.

Last edited:
Maybe you don't understand, I'm not really interested in what you copied and pasted.

While I'm very interested to understand what is the contribution of people like you to this forum.
I am so interested that I also ask the other members of the forum, maybe someone could explain.
I tried to help you understand your mistake but you have no interest in that because you realized that you've made a mistake and would rather have it swept under a rug. :rolleyes:

When someone says there was no audible difference found between cheap and expensive DACs when listened at matched level and double blind condition that he has read about, it refers to audible difference of the ones he has read about and not all differences of all DACs listened at all conditions. Get a clue!

I've read about hundreds of none level matched none double blind listening comparison of DACs, a.k.a. subjective audition which reported all sorts of differences. I have done a few subjective auditions myself and came up with results like the one quoted below but I don't give it any value other that light entertainment.
For me every DAC sounds different.

I tried to help you understand your mistake but you have no interest in that because you realized that you've made a mistake and would rather have it swept under a rug. :rolleyes:

When someone says there was no audible difference found between cheap and expensive DACs when listened at matched level and double blind condition that he has read about, it refers to audible difference of the ones he has read about and not all differences of all DACs listened at all conditions. Get a clue!

I've read about hundreds of none level matched none double blind listening comparison of DACs, a.k.a. subjective audition which reported all sorts of differences. I have done a few subjective auditions myself and came up with results like the one quoted below but I don't give it any value other that light entertainment.

I know the meaning of matched level and double blind condition, I don't need your help.

It's totally useless in order to understand the difference.
This video explains pretty well the reasons
Prove d'ascolto Hi-Fi in cieco e doppio cieco. Sfatiamo piu di un mito! - YouTube

Sorry, it's in italian.
I don't know if there are real time translators.
Now I'm busy, I'll translate it as soon as I find the time.

He means to shill for his DAC design and he is very persistent just like other audio business shills.

As usual, you didn't understand anything.

We have no audio business, we are merely hobbyists who share their designs.

So we offer our contribution to this forum, while your contribution is negligeable.
And of course you are only capable of insulting.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
oops misread Han's numbers. The 400 mv was the dimmer click.

There are three tried and true methods to address these problems.
1. try to fix the victim, what Hans did.
2 try to fix the aggressor, the dimmer...seldom easy, depending on the dimmer itself.
3. try to remove the coupling. this can be done by fixing the house wiring (seldom possible), or rearrange the victim equipment line and signal wiring to eliminate the coupling loop.

jn

edit: I noted discussion of C and C++... The guy working the code for my machines is looking at C#... anybody use that? and, is it a stable platform? (stable as in useable for the next 25 years).

Been around for 20 yrs. C Sharp (programming language - Wikipedia)

C+ a d C++ are now enshrined as ANSI standards and are the defacto
languages for general purpose embedded applications development. I guess if you are working at systems level, this may be too low level.