The Black Hole......

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ARM cores sit at the centre of most ASIC’s and system chips. Samsung, Apple (although I hear they are moving in their own direction now) phones were all ARM based for years. It’s cheap and easy to develop an ARM based ASIC now and get it fab’ by the Taiwanese. We sold controllers that customers used to develop products with and then went to ASIC’s because they could throw off the unused peripherals, memory etc. for volume applications this is the way to go.

Really? Are you sure? I don't recall sharing anything about my habits.

Or they are not stupid enough to buy as you believe is the audiophool crowd you are targeting with your shameless advertising.

I did not use the ignore list for a very long time, but you crossed the threshold.

I agree with you, I'm pretty sure Charles Wenzel is much more interested on your space shield phono stage rather than on our oscillators, we are merely stupid hobbyist.

While I care less then zero about your ignore list you'll never be part of mine, since I'm having a lot of fun reading your posts.

My definition of sharing means free period, not one cent is passed.

I believe you aren't my accounting consultant so you don't know how many cents are passed.

For your info until now I have arranged 5 GB (sharing all the circuit schematics) and the balance is negative.
I have lost money rather than get a profit.
So, although we are not an Onlus, we do this as a hobby. I'm work as a IT and business consultant not as a audio professional.
From an economic point of view, commercial interest means making profits and not losing money.

I assume you well know how much it costs to develop an electronic device (layout iterations, components thrown out, instruments and so on), then you can figure out this is not a business.

And our time for developing is free, while you pay USD 500 and hour for a legal advice.

If it was not yet clear we are sharing our designs of the whole audio system we are building for ourselves and we have no intention of going into the audio business.

That's a commercial venue.

While you electronic skills are very limited your economic knowledge is even more scarce.
So please study a little about profits and losses before posting your nonsense comments.

BTW, your OS is corrupted, it looks like your clipboard is locked since you always copy and paste the same comments on several threads

tube preamp or dac?

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

DAC for my desktop computer

Analog Delta-Sigma interpolation DAC

Please restart your machine.

Yeah, with John's case, I'd be worried about variable latency. How real time does real time need to be? And how much of this code would be on an embedded computer versus something running non-realtime OS. Is this not something that could be put onto an FPGA board as dedicated hardware?

That said, a lot of these issues have been worked on with programs like LinuxCNC, which by description you're not far from using (or the NIST-based underlying code)
The first pass design is to have a PC based C# machine pushing G, M, F, and T code to a dedicated processor that is setup to do multiaxis control. I assume the processor will have sufficient buffer size, the link may be optical, and worst case data density is probably 10 floating points worth at a 1 Khz rate for positioning points in 6 D space (linear interpolation will be 6-axis), with a similar amount coming back in terms of positional information for process control algorithms to use; the process algorithms will send back 4 floats for simple scalar device control.
My baby CNC uses my laptop and a USB cable to send G code, it's quite adequate for the task at home, granted it is an open loop motion system. My 3-D printers all use those maddingly small memory cards, but they can also be driven via USB cable from a rasberry Pi using octoprint. Not sure how much buffer the creality printers would have, or if the Pi sends realtime.
Linear interpolation is good enough even for the curved paths, as we can't bend the superconductor too tightly anyway given the tooling design limitations. Historically (well, last 25 years) I've had the pattern turns running with a point every 2 degrees. If the wire file exceeds 100K points, I have them go to every 5 degrees, or make them break the file into independent layers (typical files are two layer).
The fun aspect of the bending thing is...for some modulation types, the math would try to bend the wire at higher frequencies that the wire will try to resist.. The end result is a physical low pass on wire bending, this results in lower amplitude magnetic field harmonics. Like trying to bend a garden hose with small amplitude sine wiggles with a 2 inch period. While the machine may try, the wire will integrate out (or average as it were) it's position to middle of the road.
To complicate things even more, the 6 around 1 cable has a non linear bending modulus, the tighter the twist pitch, the more nonlinearity it exhibits. Think bass string.

jn

Last edited:
While you electronic skills are very limited your economic knowledge is even more scarce.
So please study a little about profits and losses before posting your nonsense comments.

BTW, your OS is corrupted, it looks like your clipboard is locked since you always copy and paste the same comments on several threads

Three postings in a row with nothing but spitting out negativism and accusations.
Great contributions.

Hans

Three postings in a row with nothing but spitting out negativism and accusations.
Great contributions.

Hans

I simply replied to negativism and accusations. Just as the above post.

Three postings in a row because I usually don't spend my little free time in front of the pc, usually I'm busy with the soldering tool.

My contributions are real and tangible, but when I am accused and insulted I have the right to defend myself.

Economics? I think I might have heard that word before from a woman telephone operator with a delightful Swedish accent calling from Stockholm! ;)

Pretty sure my electronics knowledge is more than adequate.

You got me there...I'm still tryin to figger out dem color stripes on the 1/4 watt resistors I just bought. Seems that has sumptin ta do with "value", whatever that is..:confused:

3D printing up partitioned bins to store them. Saw a deal online, 2600 pieces assorted for cheap..bought 4 packs, now sorting through 10,400 puppies. 130 values. Of course, that guarantees I won't have the value I need in the future. Sigh.

I need better glasses...
Jn

edit..oh, so that's who that woman was.... I thought she was trying to get me to buy a car warranty again..seein as how mine is expiring soon.

Last edited:
J

I ask them if they cover my car, a Pullman!

A better option is to put a penny in a container for every mile you drive! Really does work out! At a nickel per you can move up a model or three at trade-in.

As to economics, which is costing you more the resistors or the bin to put them in?

We could talk about vacuum molding as a cost effective alternative. As I have show before I use carved wood bins. I label every other bin to allow for non EIA 5% values. I keep my 1% resistaktors in a notebook with pocket pages.

Last edited:
As to economics, which is costing you more the resistors or the bin to put them in?

We could talk about vacuum molding as a cost effective alternative. As I have show before I use carved wood bins. I label every other bin to allow for non EIA 5% values. I keep my 1% resistaktors in a notebook with pocket pages.
The 3D printed bins weigh 145 grams, 18 partitions per. A kilo of PLA costs 20 USD, so roughly3 dollars per tray. One tray holds 80 times 18, or 1440 resistors. 12 dollars for 2600, or 6.60 dollars for one tray's worth of resistors.

Resistors are twice the cost of the trays.

I took your question as a farcical one, but did the math and voila, your question is a really valid one.

Of course, that does not include the cost of the printer..:eek:

Nor, the 15 inch driver bass reflex cabinet I gutted, installed drawer slides, and made drawers for. But as I've said in the past, the cost of tooling NEVER comes into the equation...rather, hobbies are the reason to buy tools.

To quote the marovingian....cause and effect. I need a project, so I can buy tools...

jn

I believe you aren't my accounting consultant so you don't know how many cents are passed.

For your info until now I have arranged 5 GB (sharing all the circuit schematics) and the balance is negative.
I have lost money rather than get a profit.
So, although we are not an Onlus, we do this as a hobby. I'm work as a IT and business consultant not as a audio professional.
From an economic point of view, commercial interest means making profits and not losing money.

I assume you well know how much it costs to develop an electronic device (layout iterations, components thrown out, instruments and so on), then you can figure out this is not a business.

And our time for developing is free, while you pay USD 500 and hour for a legal advice.

If it was not yet clear we are sharing our designs of the whole audio system we are building for ourselves and we have no intention of going into the audio business.
There are many commercial venues that lose money but they are still commercial venues. Your language barrier again?

tube preamp or dac?

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

DAC for my desktop computer

Analog Delta-Sigma interpolation DAC

All you have to do is show evidence that cheap DACs aren't audibly as good as expensive DACs.

My contributions are real and tangible, but when I am accused and insulted I have the right to defend myself.
In your opinion, of course.

J

I spent close to $1,000.00 building my hardware drawer system. Paid for itself in a few weeks! The value was all the time saved finding the right part. Used to take at least a minute and sometimes 15 minutes sorting through boxes on shelves.

Now almost everything is sorted and visible. I can find a 6-32 PEM nut for example in seconds. Only problem is the not yet sorted parts on top.

The biggest cost was the punch set to make holes for the parts cups. Second was getting it all anodized.

So where I had expected the bins to cost more than the resistors, but didn't, that was a false valuation method. How long does it take to find one resistor with or without the sorting? My guess about five uses of the bins pays for all of them! Of course you may value your time at more than twenty-five cents an hour! ;)

The first pass design is to have a PC based C# machine pushing G, M, F, and T code to a dedicated processor that is setup to do multiaxis control. I assume the processor will have sufficient buffer size, the link may be optical, and worst case data density is probably 10 floating points worth at a 1 Khz rate for positioning points in 6 D space (linear interpolation will be 6-axis), with a similar amount coming back in terms of positional information for process control algorithms to use; the process algorithms will send back 4 floats for simple scalar device control.
My baby CNC uses my laptop and a USB cable to send G code, it's quite adequate for the task at home, granted it is an open loop motion system. My 3-D printers all use those maddingly small memory cards, but they can also be driven via USB cable from a rasberry Pi using octoprint. Not sure how much buffer the creality printers would have, or if the Pi sends realtime.
Linear interpolation is good enough even for the curved paths, as we can't bend the superconductor too tightly anyway given the tooling design limitations. Historically (well, last 25 years) I've had the pattern turns running with a point every 2 degrees. If the wire file exceeds 100K points, I have them go to every 5 degrees, or make them break the file into independent layers (typical files are two layer).
The fun aspect of the bending thing is...for some modulation types, the math would try to bend the wire at higher frequencies that the wire will try to resist.. The end result is a physical low pass on wire bending, this results in lower amplitude magnetic field harmonics. Like trying to bend a garden hose with small amplitude sine wiggles with a 2 inch period. While the machine may try, the wire will integrate out (or average as it were) it's position to middle of the road.
To complicate things even more, the 6 around 1 cable has a non linear bending modulus, the tighter the twist pitch, the more nonlinearity it exhibits. Think bass string.

jn

Using a PC to control a multiaxis dedicated board should do you just right. The wire model and keeping it happy will dominate the complexity by the sounds of it.

So where I had expected the bins to cost more than the resistors, but didn't, that was a false valuation method. How long does it take to find one resistor with or without the sorting? My guess about five uses of the bins pays for all of them!
No, wasn't false...it was quite accurate w/r to just the PLA cost.
Of course you may value your time at more than twenty-five cents an hour! ;)
You remembered..;)

Yah, maybe I deserve a raise...I'll try for 30 cents per hour.

DPH..

All the magnetic field stuff has already been done by the physicist. They basically provide the wire file that is like reeses pieces, showing the points in space to follow.
The PC code will be to adjust the process parameters based on what the physicist wants the wire to do physically, the variables needed for the materials, and specific modulation to accomodate the physical imperfections in the surface I am working with. The process requires I know the tube location and deformations at the .0005 inch level otherwise the field quality suffers.
So the processing power needed in the PC is not too bad. The multiaxis dedicated board, we are trying to use a motion vendor's controller so that I don't have to build up an entire system again. NI's compact RIO is out, I have heard they are working to get out of the hardware business. If I need spares 15 years from now, I need to be able to get them.. not to mention vendor support should the need arise.

jn

JN -- Siemens/Heidenhain/Fanuc are probably your best bet for hardware. FWIW, I don't do this stuff professionally, I'm just redoing the motion control on a mini-cnc mill that was built with a bespoke DOS-based system that directly controlled the H-bridges for the BLDC servo motors. The latter died, and a more modern ecosystem lets me have way way *way* more complex motion paths, and get linear scales on all axes. But I'm using Mesa electronics for the FPGA motion controller board, and connecting it to the computer via ethernet. It may last 20 years, but I wouldn't bet a few million dollar project on it.

Last edited:
I had considered Delta Tau, but it gets way too complex for most.
Aerotech is another, seems promising.

Every "project" on these machines surpasses about 2.5 million USD. I will have to build about 15 projects in the next 10 years, and that is just for in house use. Three other major players are working hard on accelerators, they will also need lots of them, typically 8 to 12 units, and at this time, we are the only "tigger" in town.

jn

Last edited: