Notre Dame cathedral

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think saying “think a retractable skylight is easy? “ would be actually accurate. Obviously any roof material that opens could have the same problem, because a roof that opens is much much more prone to leaks, yes because it’s hard to seal that sort of thing. Has very little to do with the roof material.

Remember sunroofs in cars that often leaked?

Think a glass roof is easy?

A rubber seal that runs along the center of the 355-foot retractable skylight at the World Trade Center Oculus is believed to have ripped during its opening and closing on the 2018 anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, said a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The World Trade Center’s $3.9 Billion Oculus Has Rip in Its Skylight - WSJ

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
A turning point in glass buildings would be The Crystal Palace of 1851 (so 180 years?). England was booming and wanted to show her wares, needed a big shed. Hundreds of plans were rejected. Joe Paxton had been working with greenhouses, knew that the new sheet glass and improved iron frameworks had possibility. *ENORMOUS* mostly-glass exhibit hall, on-time and way under planned budget. It was a triumph so great that when the Exhibition closed, it was moved and used for many and various shows. A fire started in 1936, spread through dry wood floors and stored materials.... but not a bad life for a low-price 6-month building. And very inspirational.

A far later interpretation is the Crystal Cathedral built for Schuller's mega-church, now being adapted for the Catholics.

That was clear London was a leading city in Europe and others city from Europe were running after this model (and certainly also they lurked cities like NYC for the confort and modernity model). My understanding is a city like Paris was late but some religious buildings and the drawing people like todays is from the XIX (late half period with Hausmann or Baltard for instance, this last builded with glass and steel but certainly get his inspiration from USA). Same with Berlin iirc : sort of competition !

Thank you for the link, very good to know :)

Last edited:
Back when winter clothing technology was nonexistent, food source was scarce, and campfire was the only heat source, how do you think people migrated to those regions of the world? :scratch2:

...What? Last time I checked, animal furs are still the absolute best thing to protect you from the cold, any kind will do, as long as it's thick and ehm... furry.
And don't you understand the basic concept of females being cold tend to beg you to go to bed with them?

I'm okay with being used for my body warmth, if she's cold enough it does not matter how big the speaker project is! :D

Attachments

• One Million B.C. (1940).jpg
    One Million B.C. (1940).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 131
How they stayed alive there.
Skara Brae in Orkney was a Neolithic village which flourished for 600 years, teeming with activity and life, from 3100-2500 BC.

As far as keeping warm was concerned, the settlers there sunk their houses deep in an existing midden (a refuse pile). The slow decay from the midden provided a natural 'heating' process as the refuse decayed - an early form of central heating!

As far as food went, animals probably followed the scent from the midden - making for easy hunting!

Attachments

• Skara Brae.jpg
    Skara Brae.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 128
A frozen tundra can also be very calm. :cool:

Jan
Back when winter clothing technology was nonexistent, food source was scarce, and campfire was the only heat source, how do you think people migrated to those regions of the world? :scratch2:
Regarding the timeline of those settlement traces mentioned earlier which was during neolithic period when people farmed vegetation and raised livestock, the climate warmed up during that period which allowed the crops to grow in those northern regions.

I only use wool socks, even in Bali. Perfect temperature and no problems with moisture.
KaffiMann never puts a foot wrong - bless his little cotton, sorry, wool socks!

Among the best wool socks for summer, you'll find that merino wool is commonly featured. ... In fact, wool is highly breathable and can absorb as much as 30 percent of its weight in moisture without feeling wet, which is why it's one of the best materials for warm weather.

KaffiMann never puts a foot wrong

Hah!
You know when I walk around in a forest or mountain with the kids I go barefoot, because the boss and the young'uns are so slow, I go too fast even walking on gravel barefoot. IE I'm not fast, they're really slow. That's okay though if you watch your step constantly you find all sorts of interesting stuff, plants, fungi, animal tracks etc.

Last time was a small hill about 400m altitude meters, mostly gravel track with patches of ice and snow, no problem, just go numb for a little bit. Way far ahead, tip toeing slowly up the hill.

But going up those volcanoes on Bali? I had to put on my fivefingers, volcanic rock cuts you up real fast. Not often I use socks and sandals but it happens, if I have to wear shoes for some reason, it's always with wool socks.