John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just wasted your time and annoyed the audiophiles. They know better anyway, long live the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Thanks, Waly, I already felt Sisyphean (and not Camus' interpretation) for writing it, but you've doubled it again.

Edit -- glad you enjoyed it Destroyer. On second read it's a bit rambly, but Pascal put it best (paraphrased) "If I had more time, I would write it shorter". (i.e. succinct)

Last edited:
You have a DAC and ADC, that is more than good enough to pump a frequency sweep at FS into one channel and measure what comes out the other. You don't even need to set anything up as you have your DAW all ready.

It's a little more complicated than that. The only decent ADC there is in the HEDD which means setting up the TASCAM box with bidirectional SPDIF I/O and configuring the whole system to clock off the HEDD since the ADC doesn't like to use other clocks. The USB to SPDIF converter for the project is bare board that will be packaged with the rest the of the DAC/HPA. Then there has been the pesky problem with contention over ownership of USB Com port 3 that has been going on between the TASCAM and Arduino. Things there were working fine mysteriously stop and several hours of head scratching follow. Finally got that one fully sorted, but it takes knowing how to change the advanced configuration properties of hidden devices in Windows, and knowing why that is the particular thing that needs changing. Sometimes Google-fu is pretty worthless for a quick answer.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
For the CD bashers, can anyone point at an early digital recording that they can say sounds lousy? I have various Telarcs done on soundstream and early Sony PCM recordings and I can't honestly say any of those are worse than analog tape. By the sounds of it there must be some awful recordings out there that I missed.

By the sounds of it there must be some awful recordings out there that I missed.

IIRC Lipshitz found some commercial CD's that had large DNL's at zero or missing codes. I'm not sure he named them or just called them example A or example B. Let me put up on dropbox some almost day 1 music clips of undithered music samples from an original SONY/Philips demo disk. I swear there are few spots where things sound wonky.

Scott,

As way too often usual, the issue seems to be the word "inadequate." The other issue might be what was the publication date of the first edition? Before or after the CD standard? My mind is foggy on which came first. I suspect the book did, but really not sure.

I never had a first edition but I think it was 1982, concurrent, but as you know the material was probably in class notes for years. As for inadequate I'm being a little extreme as in impossible i.e. the Shannon-Nyquist theorem is wrong. The s to z stuff does not really figure into it.

If you want to discuss that you can't make an analog filter with infinite attenuation beyond a given frequency without infinite delay we get into the usual stuff about the Fourier integrals are defined from plus to minus infinity so they can't work for audio. From Heisenberg once you bound your error in one domain the other is also bounded. It's not useful to make this a -150dB answers matter.

There's also a converse to this, taking the CD standard as defined and realizable analog filters was the theory incapable of predicting the output.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I always hated the brittle sound of the V15 series, and the others were just cheap sounding. I was into Ortofon right away after testing a bunch of various, new cartridges. Too many to recall. So from my standpoint, no loss.

I think that Shure was on the ropes ever since Dual changed to Ortofon cartridges. There went a substantial sales volume and bragging rights (as they were I guess). Radio Shack cut down the number of Shure cartridges they carried. Just as well as they weren't a HiFi store anyway.

My TT? It was a Marantz for a bit, then a Thorens soon afterwards. I stayed with the Thorens-Ortofon combination since then, but did try other tables as well. The current combination is a Thorens TD-126 MKII (I have a MKIII around here somewhere) and an Ortofon 540 MKII cartridge. The Thorens suspension was modified by a Linn tech (Gary Dilliott - RIP recently) and he did a full setup. Gary was one of the top Linn technicians. It got a Linn suspension, since they are nearly the same he used Linn parts and they fit. He also did my TD-125 MKII and a TD-145 MKII (interesting table). I sold the TD-145 MKII recently to someone who knows what Gary was all about. He's happy.

So aside from folks who need replacement styli, there is no loss with Shure pulling out of phono cartridge sales. At least from my vantage point.

-Chris

Ridikas, good to see you still contributing. Don't get confused by the resistor description by others. The resistor that B uses, is made of the pure metal (Be) for the conductor, and the oxide (BeO) as the covering insulator. No need for any other resistive material, that is the whole point of making the resistor. The Fermi velocity is related to the METAL not the OXIDE.
For further clarification, I presume this type of resistor would be called a custom WIREWOUND resistor, where normally a metal alloy would be used instead of pure Be for the conductive component. There are metal alloys that have a more stable temperature coefficient than any pure metal, and that is why they are used, as well as being cheaper and easier to fabricate with.

Last edited:
Ridikas, good to see you still contributing. Don't get confused by the resistor description by others. The resistor that B uses, is made of the pure metal (Be) for the conductor, and the oxide (BeO) as the covering insulator. No need for any other resistive material, that is the whole point of making the resistor. The Fermi velocity is related to the METAL not the OXIDE.

Hi John, by resistor, you mean the Pacific resistor that's inside of the ceramic tube? If core is BeO and element is Be, then I can understand how they're able to get such a high power rating of 25 watts in such a small package. Is this a Be film resistor then? I wonder how Pacific laser trims these things due to toxicity. This would definitely be something that military or NASA would use.

Edit: I saw your update. So it's wirewound. Interesting.

From NASA: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720000021.pdf

Last edited:

Really do you have a part number on that? Be has a fairly bad TC of resistance that is not constant with temperature. Physics Review gave .8%/degree at room temp hardly a precision resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.