John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least there is a DAC-3 and an AHB2 to keep me grounded in what good means. You may recall the reason the old Bryston 4B had to go was because the DAC/HPA project was beginning to sound better than the reference system. AHB2 sure fixed that though.
AHB2 looks very impressive (from the description in the website), congratulations. Also on your learning and DIY efforts.
-Alex

Last edited:
I have changed my opinion a couple of times about non-oversampling versus 2x oversampling. There might have been some issues that masked my perception before, but it is firm now: I have the best CD experience using 2x oversampling in the PC. Treble is definitely better.

In retrospect, the non-oversampling rolloff might have been one of the reasons why I liked my first diy dac so much. But I don´t think it is the only reason.

I think everyone is taking these Bybee devices way too lightheartedly. The last time entropy got reversed we had a Big Bang. VERY MESSY!!!!

I don't think Dave Hill probably knows about how the Q word is taken here. He makes good gear though. That box is intended for mastering, which is why it has the stepped attenuators. Mastering engineers tend to want stepped knobs on everything for 'recall' use. The keep a log of all the settings for each piece of gear.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ridikas, good to see you still contributing. Don't get confused by the resistor description by others. The resistor that B uses, is made of the pure metal (Be) for the conductor, and the oxide (BeO) as the covering insulator.
Isn't Beryllium really toxic? BeO insulators were great but actually dangerous if cracked or broken. The dust is really toxic. Now that I know this I'll be much more cautious around them. Shouldn't this be on an MSDS that is publicly available?

I don't think that the ceramic tube itself is made of anything 'exotic'. You are probably right about the soft exterior wrapping, but I am not sure. It doesn't really matter anyway, because almost nobody here is going to buy or use a Bybee device of any type, and we are just talking about one early type that most people don't use that much anymore. I just carried it this far to give you a glimpse of something 'different'.
When it comes to safety, I am now watching a Nova program on Lithium batteries. Now there is a dangerous device! Yet we give them to children to play with (in their cell phone).

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Isn't Beryllium really toxic? BeO insulators were great but actually dangerous if cracked or broken. The dust is really toxic. Now that I know this I'll be much more cautious around them. Shouldn't this be on an MSDS that is publicly available?

It is deadly only if it is breathed into the lungs. Thus machining of it causes dust that needs to be done and captured in an enclosed box. It is a known cancer causing substance (lung cancer).

Just touching it isnt a problem.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
To get the required effect from a quantum resistor you don't have to make it from an exotic material; you just have to make it from a material which Joe Public thinks is exotic, and which you can truthfully claim is used by the military. You just forget to mention that the material is widely used in RF power transistors so almost certainly present in all cellphone base stations, emergency service vehicles, ham radios etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Don't sweat it Ridikas, once in the past having worked for a certain telecom company here in Finland in which facilities we had a full size and accredited EMC room plus a couple of smaller ones where I spent quite a lot of time measuring both conducted (LISN) 150kHz-30 MHz, and emitted 30MHz-1GHz, in accordance with CISPR 22/EN 55022 I think I have some clues what power cords can or can not do, also special EMI cords which you have to remember such cords aren't used mainly to filter only what's going in but also coming out of the electronic equipment, and where the potential problems lies if such a "special" power cord is needed.

One cord by itself may not cause too much concern, but even a modest system has several power cords and they are in the back mixed in there along with the I/O from the gear.

You can buy shielded cords.... twisted wires within preferred. However, it is not hard to slip a metal braided sleeve over each cord for shield and ferrite (#47 etc) on the cord. One at each end.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
One cord by itself may not cause too much concern, but even a modest system has several power cords and they are in the back mixed in there along with the I/O from the gear.

You can buy shielded cords.... twisted wires within preferred. However, it is not hard to slip a metal braided sleeve over each cord for shield and ferrite (#47 etc) on the cord. One at each end.

THx-RNMarsh

Excellent suggestions, although grounding the braid may be problematic and I would discourage any ungrounded metal around an AC cord. Mouser and others offer quality twisted, shielded AC power cable assys for $5-$6. Also, mix 31 ferrites, or even mix 75 ferrites would offer higher impedance in a single-turn application than other ferrites in the sub-100 MHz range where interaction with audio is worst. The Fair-Rite mix 31 Snap-Its have very broad-band impedance curves in this application and can be applied to pre-made cables. Full disclosure, we sell them in our web store: Fair-Rite Mix 31 Ferrites - Pro Audio Engineering. Used in conjunction with powder-iron cores the resulting broad-band attenation is very useful. Avoid unmarked ferrites, In my experience most offer poor impedance in the sub-100MHz range and are a waste of time.

Ferrites applied in this manner offer mainly common-mode impedance, although they do offer some useful differential-mode impedance as well. And although I have read in some audio blogs that people don't like the "sound" of ferrites on AC cords, consider what that means: they prefer IMD or other interference caused by RF entering their equipment via the AC power inlet. Pavel could wax poetic on this subject. This is hardly a reliable sound tweak given the variation in ambient RFI. Interestingly enough some of these same reports are most likely using equipment with dedicated ferrite common-mode chokes in the power supply.

In our studio installs we often specify Tempest-grade AC line filtering: Tempest Filters - EMI Filters for the entire technical power system in conjunction with isolated-ground metallic-shielded cabling. These filters offer significant filtering from the low KHz range to over 1 GHz, but are pricey. In high-RFI areas we also specify EMI room shielding, especially for the tracking rooms. Some single-coil guitars and other instruments with unshielded high-impedance outputs make fantastic RF antennas. All of these measures can be violated by a single cell-phone set down in the studio in the wrong place.

So it goes...
Howie

I wanted to add that in my home system I use a Monster HTPS7000 MKII which I believe our own Mr. Marsh had a hand in the design of, and it really cleaned up the noise floor of the system. And this from someone who has reason to dislike Monster Corp. in general for personal reasons...

Howie

Status
Not open for further replies.