John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nonsensical component. Fermi velocity (Fermi energy) is defined at 0 K as the difference between the energy of between the highest occupied electron state and the lowest non-interacting electron state, which for a metal is the bottom of the conduction band, where we'd define the electron's kinetic energy to be zero. (notice METAL: this requires degeneracy, therefore in context of an insulator, i.e. BeO, it doesn't even make sense).

If you're talking Fermi level, then that's all well and good. We're dealing with a wide bandgap material at maybe 500 K? Not gonna be too many CB electrons as result. BeO has a bulk bandgap of 10.6 eV, but this becomes messy when dealing with grain boundaries and the huge number of surface defect states in a powdered material. When does a semiconductor become an insulator and vice versa? Depends on who you ask, but 10.6 eV is a big bandgap; Si is 1.12 eV and GaN, used for high power switching is 3.4 eV, meaning BeO cannot be used for current conduction in what ultimately is a 0.025 ohm resistor or thereabouts. There's just not the free electrons around to make a lick of difference. In sum BeO is NOT going to be a good material to design a low-impedance resistor, at least certainly not for playing part in current conduction.

BUT! All this is generally nonsense when looked at more carefully anyhow. We're dealing with a bulk materials in an ensemble, i.e. messy and a world away from needing QM to explain. So let's get down to something far more reasonable, how one constructs a resistor. A look at how resistors are made show that no one in any mind (right or wrong) will use BeO for anything but the core (for WW and film) or the resistive admixture in a bulk carbon resistor, BeO would make a pretty decent, albeit expensive choice for core given it's excellent temperature properties.There's mention of carbon/graphene in the item description: news flash, bulk graphite has microscopic amounts of graphene and has for eternity. This is nothing new, but makes for great woo to people who don't know better. Your pencil has graphene in it! Such an amazing quantum device!

So to a bulk, we've got either a carbon comp or carbon film resistor using BeO for the ceramic portion of the construction. There's nothing about either large (and by large I mean micron-sized or bigger to be conservative, probably >10 nm and I'm safe) graphite particles nor BeO that makes it an exotic material.

Of course the claims are made that measurements won't be able to discern this noise advantage, which means that the effect isn't actually there. Funny!

You just wasted your time and annoyed the audiophiles. They know better anyway, long live the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I disagree, their assumptions and the framing of the problem were flawed as well as the limits of the available technology. I remind you that there is still a quite vociferous group that thinks 1980's multi-bit DAC's in NOS mode sound wonderful.

The basic theories far predate the CD.
I disagree with your disagreement. Dither was only one overlooked problem. At the time, people were adamant that CD sounded (had to) better than LP simply because it was newer technology and the manufacturers told them it sounded better and came up with feasible but naive technical justifications. This is the problem I am highlighting: it's a sort of bigoted hubris, to put it too strongly perhaps.

It is interesting that you also have a degree in Physics. Why is it that you, I, Nelson Pass, and the late Charley Hansen all have degrees in physics rather than engineering? Is it that we sought a 'higher calling'? Like maybe, deeper understanding of how things really work, rather than just training for a future job?
Very self-aggrandizing but I reckon you lot just couldn't get a regular job. :p

At the time, people were adamant that CD sounded (had to) better than LP simply because it was newer technology and the manufacturers told them it sounded better and came up with feasible but naive technical justifications.

What else is new they had something to sell, folks are prostituting their engineering knowledge to push MQA right now.

I meant demonstrate that Shannon's information theory and the seminal texts on digital signal processing (such as Oppenheim) were inadequate for describing digital audio.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My DAC and headphone amp experiments showed that channel separation matters a lot. I had one integrated HPA and two mono block HPAs. The mono blocks clearly showed that I had work to do on the integrated unit. Up until that point I didn't realize there was a problem. Didn't think to look closely, actually. Turned out the most of the inter-channel coupling was through the power supply rails. All were decoupled with at each IC with tantalums and ceramics. It took some big electrolytics and some films before I was happy with channel separation.

As isolation between channels is easy to measure did you measure before and after? That would be useful information, otherwise it's another case of glom for victory.

I have no doubt that many DIY projects suffer from this as circuits with near zero PSRR are often praised for their wonderful sound in some corners so an amplifier project inevitably becomes a power supply project.

The irony of course is that headphones suffer due to isolation and so many people add a cross feed circuit in as they are annoyed by the 'three blobs' imaging thus reducing channel seperation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Am I the only person who reads speculative, suggestive, and completely undefended comments (and I'm not just picking on you, Richard), like Jeremy Clarkson introducing The Stig?

It's the only logical way I can interpret them. Not that channel separation isn't important, but at what level? Does -100 dB cross talk do it? 0 dB is obviously mono!

Similarly other stupendous claims that would require spot sensitivities in hearing well below the Brownian noise floor (much less any sort of thermal gradient) of air movement in a room at RT. As nicely summarized here: acoustics - How loud is the thermal motion of air molecules? - Physics Stack Exchange

Give me a break.

I think you glossed over an important word.... the entire system.

And, many here love their TT and phono carts.

Even analog tape machines.

These do not all have -100+ dB isolation or cross-talk between channels to 20KHz.

Nice if they did.

Not even considering far field listening and what that does to isolation and separation between channels.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Something i havent heard here is how channel to channel separation affects the sound
between comparable systems.What is the affect of differing separation or isolation on the sound?

Preamps can have out-of-phase crosstalk, which some might hear as an improvement.
Dual triodes shared between channels, or pickup from large coupling capacitors, can cause this.
Counterpoint used grounded shields over coupling capacitors in some models to reduce this effect.

Last edited:
As isolation between channels is easy to measure did you measure before and after?

I did not. However, I hope to have a good set of measurements available soon for the current state of the project. Depending on the results I may find there is more to do.

While it would be great to document measurements after each change, it would be hard to do here for various reasons. I have limited bench space for one thing. I have to rearrange the work space for hardware construction, software development, measurements, etc. In addition, I have very limited test equipment for doing high-end audio stuff where small differences can matter. Just figuring out methods to build small circuits, hold down SMD devices, use hot air at times, troubleshoot, listen, sleep, eat, work on DACs, debug Arduino/Windows interactions, etc., ends up being a lot more demanding that I imagined when I started on this journey. I still don't even have a good enough 1kHz notch filter here, but the parts to make one are around here in one of these boxes.

In the end, all you get is what I have. Right now what I have is what I have been describing. Again, measurements are coming soon, I hope.

EDIT: At least there is a DAC-3 and an AHB2 to keep me grounded in what good means. You may recall the reason the old Bryston 4B had to go was because the DAC/HPA project was beginning to sound better than the reference system. AHB2 sure fixed that though.

Last edited:
Oppenheim, easy. Quite a bit was incomplete in the first edition. One of the issues I had was it implied s to z transformation could be done precisely.

I asked what was missing that would say the original concept could not work. Nothing in theory says that I can't make an analog anti-aliasing 20kHz brickwall filter -120dB at 22.1kHz the same goes for an anti-imaging filter. The sinc amplitude correction for first order sampling was well known. No up sampling no digital filters at all involved. BTW Apogee was founded making just such filters out of lots of 5532's.

I'm not sure what you mean most applications literature still states the standard approximation as if it was exact (with frequency warping exact at fs/2). If you restrict yourself to matching a single z to s pole it can't be exact except at one frequency, but a standard bi-quad filter has some free parameters you can fiddle with to make a better fit. AFAIK this remains a fairly obscure topic not really text book stuff and not relevant to the original issue.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I did not. However, I hope to have a good set of measurements available soon for the current state of the project. Depending on the results I may find there is more to do.
Shame. You've missed a chance to really learn something about both cross talk and PSRR there which may have helped others, or at least moved the discussion here beyond woo and foo.

While it would be great to document measurements after each change, it would be hard to do here for various reasons. I have limited bench space for one thing. I have to rearrange the work space for hardware construction, software development, measurements, etc.
I understand that, which is why Engineers need labs, to get all the stuff in. What I would give* to still have a large garage with a 6 ft workbench in (ex-production including the hangers for the calibrated electric screwdrivers). Which is why I have huge admiration for those who find time to do all the measurements who are not doing them as homers at work. I still have great admiration for those who do it at work just to help us out mind :).

In addition, I have very limited test equipment for doing high-end audio stuff where small differences can matter.
You have a DAC and ADC, that is more than good enough to pump a frequency sweep at FS into one channel and measure what comes out the other. You don't even need to set anything up as you have your DAW all ready.

*Still being married to the ex is not a price I would have paid to keep the workspace tho :).

I think you glossed over an important word.... the entire system.

And, many here love their TT and phono carts.

Even analog tape machines.

These do not all have -100+ dB isolation or cross-talk between channels to 20KHz.

Nice if they did.

Not even considering far field listening and what that does to isolation and separation between channels.

THx-RNMarsh

Haha, you missed my rant, probably because it wasn't clearly stated. My rant was towards, "I heard cross talk is important for differentiating systems", but no sort of refining what you meant by that. Did you mean it starts being important to have whole system channel isolation of 60 dB, 100 dB? At what frequencies? That's also why I mention 0 dB means you're running mono, which obviously sounds different to stereo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.