Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the ears that's the problem. It's the embarrassingly unreliable brain they're connected to, which is why there's virtually nothing that doesn't "work" for some number of people.
There a whole lot of audio things which don't "work" for some people. Might be an idea to separate out those are sensitive to subtle variations, vs. those not - by creating a whole lot of variations of an audio file, with numerous levels and styles of distortion applied - and see who can pick the duds.

Then we'll know whose opinions it's worthwhile taking notice of ... ;), :D

the simplest tweak any audiophile
And what exactly is a "tweak"? I believe some one referred to turning a machine (CD player, I think) off and on as a "tweak". I wonder if the design engineers ever wondered whether they should put that in the instruction manual, or did the evil blighters want to keep that one to themselves and damn the rest of us who must suffer with an "incomplete" system? I must have dyslexia because I transposed the adjective in the quote and it made complete sense. :)

I understand your fear, abs. It may not be a road you want to go down
Fear? Fear of what? Maybe wasting money of complete rubbish? Maybe wandering about my sanity if I was duped into acquiring something that has the same credibility as Bybee "quantum devices"? Maybe drinking poison so that I can saddle up the Halle-Bopp comet?

Last edited:
Ab, you really don't know about Bybee devices, do you?
Cue the dramatic music and say in hushed, breathy tones; "Does anyone?".

I will resist your tempting offer of the proliferation of the absurd, UNTIL there is proof that something like this DOES make a distinguishable difference. Some anecdotal opinion about "sound stage" and the like is not evidence and never will be.

If you guys are not interested in trying 'tweaks and mods', FINE! But give it a break, will you? Most of the time, you mix different topics and people as if they were one of the same. They are not!
First, get yourself a GOOD PAIR of loudspeakers, several thousand dollars worth. Then get at least, a $2500 power amp, and some sort of GOOD source, like an OPPO 105.
IF you have not even attempted to approach that level of hi fi, then you DON'T and won't get much out of Bybees, or any other relatively expensive tweak or mod. So get over it!

Instead of calling it foolish, maybe you should buy a Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuse and see for yourself.
You might also want to try a standard ceramic fuse instead of a glass fuse, and compare all three.
Try them on source and low power gear.

Acme Audio makes some lower priced fuses, but still expensive by comparison. $12-$15 each.

I've taken this path and the only sad thing about it is that fuses sometimes pop.
Theres no going back to standard fuses once using audiophile fuses.
This depends where you are putting the fuse, if it is on the mains (the only place I use them) then they will have no audible effect, full stop, none, and quite often you only need a fuse on the mains input so just use a decent fuse. There is some discussion of this on the JC Blowtoch II thread near the end.

If you guys are not interested in trying 'tweaks and mods', FINE! But give it a break, will you? Most of the time, you mix different topics and people as if they were one of the same. They are not!
First, get yourself a GOOD PAIR of loudspeakers, several thousand dollars worth. Then get at least, a $2500 power amp, and some sort of GOOD source, like an OPPO 105.
IF you have not even attempted to approach that level of hi fi, then you DON'T and won't get much out of Bybees, or any other relatively expensive tweak or mod. So get over it!
A bit arrogant for a man that uses them on his TV... Stop mentioning them and dropping silly hints that they are some hush hush highly technical device, and if you are going to mention how they are made etc give some tangible details rather than esoteric bull.

Generally components labelled Audiophile are questionable, hand made capacitors against machine one, or are basic components just glossed up, or even worse just plain unbelievable rip offs, Shaki stones, that clock mentioned earlier, these
Brilliant Pebbles Advanced Audio Video Tweak
and of course JC's favourite component the BQP, of course all of these things can only be bought from esoteric audiophile supplies, as these are the only places where they could keep a straight face whilst selling this stuff.....

ironic that you tell Absconditus to give it a rest and then continue with your rabid defence and promotion of the nanotube nonsense. of course ONLY if you have a sufficiently elite system; which you have defined with some arbitrary numbers and the name of yet a manufacturer you are working with.

really useful info there John, you attempt to put a monetary value on quality, when you can just as easily get rubbish for that money. here on DIYA we dont need to spend thousands on a poweramp, thousands on speakers and can do much better than an oppo. all of which will not make one iota difference to the chances of noticing the spanking new, reborn and purified quantum tunnelled electrons

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Abs, if it makes you feel more grounded, stable and sure of yourself, then don't try any tweaks. But, no one will think you as crazy if you hear a difference for better or for worse.

I'm just asking, have you tried it? I mean the royal "you". Not you specifically, Abs.

here on DIYA we don't need to spend thousands on a power amp, thousands on speakers

It wouldn't cost a DIYer thousands, but if you were in business, you would charge it.
You would charge the going rate. As soon as you had an audio hit, you'd charge more.

One of these days, those foolish peasants will learn that it's all about the price tag, right?

You are over reaching and assuming what John is saying.

Can you put together a system for $500 that would best a $5000 system? Even at DIY audio rates? Build a DIY audio system for $500 worth of parts, then another for $5000 worth of parts. Tell us what sounds better to you. Be honest. Does it sound 10x better? 5x or 1x better? Or do they sound the same? Does the $500 system have better sound quality? Do an experiment since you are so into objective criteria. Measure them both, if it makes you feel better.

Actually if you work in the consumer electronics field you will find that the £5000 pound system often has the same parts costs internally as a £500 product. Often the case is fancier, but generally the parts costs is not that great, but you do get the pleasure of buying something that is perceived to be quality.
Having looked at some of the PCBs in so called high end gear, I was not impressed, they are not what I would call a high end design, just mediocre basic layouts.
A lot of the money is mark up as high end audio is not a big market these days and the mark ups are quite high. Also if you are in the market for high end gear you want to pay for it, otherwise you don't get the satisfaction or status.
Me, like a lot of the peasants here has to listen on sub standard electronics, crappy home built speakers etc, but it doesn't matter because I don't have the super hearing of a true audiophile so cant hear the minute changes some of these tweeks are said to produce.

:)

Abs, if it makes you feel more grounded, stable and sure of yourself, then don't try any tweaks. But, no one will think you as crazy if you hear a difference for better or for worse.
You will find your illogicality in this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies Please, though, do not try to deliberately offend me by spouting such absurdities and questioning my sanity when the questions I asked were totally rhetorical. I do hope you understand this concept; if not, I will explain in small steps.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are over reaching and assuming what John is saying.
Can you put together a system for $500 that would best a $5000 system?
I think that's also over reaching. Not everyone here is building a system with $500 worth of parts. Take a look around the forum, you'll find a lot of advanced and costly systems. Plenty that cost more than $5000 in parts alone.

The old "Your system isn't good enough" or "You're just a DIY amateur" are both tired, condescending dodges. :down:

The old "Your system isn't good enough" or "You're just a DIY amateur" are both tired, condescending dodges. :down:

Now, if you're Mr. Common Sense, you won't believe me when I tell you that I have an envelope that will clean your car as you drive at home to work. Well, George, believe me this time, because this one isn't like the Austrian self-sharpening razors. No, friends, no overheating like the tropical fishes. No zizzing and dripping like the dike....

Joined 2000
Paid Member
in the consumer electronics field you will find that the £5000 pound system often has the same parts costs internally as a £500 product. Often the case is fancier, but generally the parts costs is not that great, but you do get the pleasure of buying something that is perceived to be quality.

That's not what I'm talking about. That's just dishonest practices.

Me, like a lot of the peasants here has to listen on sub standard electronics, crappy home built speakers etc, but it doesn't matter because I don't have the super hearing of a true audiophile so cant hear the minute changes some of these tweeks are said to produce.

marce, most of what you hear in audio is in the mid-range. Can you hear at least that much?

So Vince doesn't that proof that the price has no or very loose correlation to the quality?

Jan, it sort of does. As soon as you say "loose correlation", you just bought in...a little.

I think that's also over reaching. Not everyone here is building a system with $500 worth of parts. Take a look around the forum, you'll find a lot of advanced and costly systems.

Pano, I'm the first member to join DIYaudio.com. There's good reason. At the time, I couldn't afford to buy a big box store audio system, let alone a hi-end system. So, I know real well what's going on around here. I've even build a few pieces of gear. One thing is for sure with in reason, better parts make for better sound.

none of it means anything in the face of a pathetic fallacy
What fallacy is that? That some BJT, MOSFET or JFET sound better than other to some people or that some drivers sound better to others? Why do some people "roll" tubes constanly for better sound? Why do they go back to using an old tube that they've already heard? It's what they like!

Don't get upset, Abs. I'm saying the opposite. Don't make yourself crazy with all this tweaking crap, if it's not for you. That's all. :)

Anyway, I'm way off-topic. A link put me in the middle of the thread.
I still stand on- better constructed parts make for better sound. That's all.

have a good one.

Vince

Actually if you work in the consumer electronics field you will find that the £5000 pound system often has the same parts costs internally as a £500 product. Often the case is fancier, but generally the parts costs is not that great, but you do get the pleasure of buying something that is perceived to be quality.

Did you mean Sony? I still recall the initial disorientation of opening up some of their full size components and discovering completely empty cabinets save for a single small power transformer. The rest - essentially all - of the circuit was on the back of the face plate. The exterior looked quality though....

Status
Not open for further replies.