Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Andrew Jones of Pioneer fame touches on expensive cables in this interview. His reply is interesting; it makes a difference but one easily trumped from a value perspective in the design stage.
of KEF/TAD-Piooner fame, that is.
I've known about the interview for a while. depends what you (want to) read from that response. he also says (quite explicitly) that as long as you're still at the "entry level" (20k on speakers, LOL) segment, there are other places where you should spend the money.

Last edited:
If you guys are not interested in trying 'tweaks and mods', FINE! But give it a break, will you? Most of the time, you mix different topics and people as if they were one of the same. They are not!
First, get yourself a GOOD PAIR of loudspeakers, several thousand dollars worth. Then get at least, a $2500 power amp, and some sort of GOOD source, like an OPPO 105.
IF you have not even attempted to approach that level of hi fi, then you DON'T and won't get much out of Bybees, or any other relatively expensive tweak or mod. So get over it!
Huffs, stamps foot and then goes into corner to sook (as in book, perjorative term to describe being immaturely upset).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you tried stringing bananas, potatoes, etc together to see how many it takes to make a difference?
Even better. We did in series: a potato, 5 humans, a banana. Worked like a charm, once the gain was adjusted. "Hold hands and let the music flow." "Hey, who grabbed my banana!" :)

Peanut butter, however, did not work. So I'm not feeling optimistic about the Twinkie. Worth a try, tho....

I think we can all agree that some "audiophile" things on the market are just ridiculous. Ridiculously priced 100x what it should cost just because it's marketed to the elite of audio lovers, the audiophiles.

So I'll kick off this "Audiophile Ridiculousness or Not" discussion with...

A $54 3.15a fuse! Audiophile grade 6 x 32mm fuse.

Thats just absurd right? Who buys this racket?
some people on this forum, for instance.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
When I didn't roll my own ICs, I tried various brands.

For most disappointing - van den Hul First cables (no banana filling in the center, but some carbon fiber). Disappointed because the gold deposited on the RCA connectors literally disappeared after a year. Must have been the excess electrons scrubbing off the gold! Even the insulation seems like it is slowly degrading on the outside. I thought these would hold up given the reputation of his phono cartridges.

I was also disappointed in Kimber TC speaker cable. The entire length is literally nothing but tarnished copper. Sad that you can find pro bulk speaker cable for a fraction of the price of Kimber and much easier to strip to nice bright copper, even after years of use. So a thumbs down for Kimber too.

Although not high $$$ for what was out there, the Straight Wire ICs always had good quality RCA jacks and held up well over the years. They are still in great shape even 20 years later and pretty much look like they did on the day I purchased the set.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I had to read that twice. Thought you meant Integrated Circuits. "Oh, that's what he does for a living". :)

:D ha! IC = interconnect

When I was in school, I requested to study analog in the EE program at the Univ. of Texas. I was denied on grounds that digital was the hot thing and it was best for my future. I left the program because I was completely blocked from pursuing anything other than digital. I was very ambivalent about that.

So what do I do? I am a software test engineer...lol. It's a good job here in Austin. :)

When I was in school, I requested to study analog in the EE program at the Univ. of Texas. I was denied on grounds that digital was the hot thing and it was best for my future. I left the program because I was completely blocked from pursuing anything other than digital. I was very ambivalent about that.

So what do I do? I am a software test engineer...lol. It's a good job here in Austin. :)

robert earl keen fan by chance?

Hmmm ... I thought, IC = I see, ... :)

Well, I did tons of analogue in the course, earlier days I guess. Trouble was, when I came out there was an EE glut - at least 6 years experience, or forget it! After 50 or so applications I got a bit jack of it, and then an opportunity arose for graduate EE's to work for ICL, Britain's last bit of glory in computing. Spent a lot of time being a glorified mechanic - remember being called out at 3am to look at a jammed train printer -- anyone remember those? But, enjoyed cutting code in PLAN, got into that side of things ...

Finally, a friend of my partner mentioned a chance to work for a software house belonging to her father, and awaaay it went ...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
robert earl keen fan by chance?

Not big fan...but fan nonetheless. You will trip over a musician around here every 5 minutes. I am pretty sure that in our company of 100 employees, at least 10 are former musicians or currently in a band.

Frank - Austin is all about start-up companies and trying to make it big. Companies come and go and many revolve around software and the internet. I am in a sweet position now but have actually started taking some courses again to get up to speed with the young crowd here.

Even though my wife and I have are own organic garden and love to prepare food from scratch, the reality is my employer's business is mainly driven by huge food conglomerates. Go figure...

Status
Not open for further replies.