Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does that compare to a discharge cycle tho? If the 5 min charge on the zapandgo will be enough to 80% charge the 1700mAh battery in the phone vs say the partial charge on the external lithium pack?

That depends on whether 1500mAh worth of electrons in a capacitor is the same as 1500mAh worth of electrons in a battery, I realize this kind of question does come up often on this forum.

In reality most charge their external battery packs off USB chargers which limit to 2A max, your example needs a 20A charger.

Indeed, I do not know of a fast charger that can dump 1.5Ah in 5 minutes = 20A needed. Maybe zapandgo knows?

Add: You know what I would think would work instead? If the supercapacitor is a high voltage one. Since there is usually DC-DC conversion needed anyway between the charge storage and the USB port. Then maybe you can charge it with a 2A charger. But at 50V.

But no matter how you want to adjust the current and voltage there is no way a 100W power supply would fit in a wall-wart... pretty sure EU has too many rules to not make that work. This is where the version that plugs directly to the socket might work instead (340V DC woot), but I'm very sure that will never make it past EU.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That depends on whether 1500mAh worth of electrons in a capacitor is the same as 1500mAh worth of electrons in a battery, I realize this kind of question does come up often on this forum.

Well if you assume that the charge/discharge cycle on Lithium cells is totally reversable or they have nice electronics to squeeze the most out. The reviews don't cover that. Certainly when full they should be the same.

Indeed, I do not know of a fast charger that can dump 1.5Ah in 5 minutes = 20A needed. Maybe zapandgo knows?
You get a 40A charger with the battery. That is their value proposition. Poor value, but value nonetheless.

Well here's a catch if you do the math...

zapandgo has a capacity of 1500mAh and takes 5 minutes to charge

Current-generation li-ion batteries can have charge rates of 2C or higher over a certain SoC (state of charge) range.

2C means a 10000mAh battery will recharge itself within 30 minutes. So in 5 minutes the 10000mAh battery would have charged 1666mAh

Engineering - Destroying dreams and ruining lives of kickstarters, you're welcome.

How are you ruining the dreams and lives of kickstarters... surprisingly they have employed engineers to do the circuitry....
Further super caps are used a lot in electronic systems to provide power or back up power, because of their advantages over batteries, it is becoming common practice now... especially as the power density storage of the caps increases.

Last edited:

Add: You know what I would think would work instead? If the supercapacitor is a high voltage one. Since there is usually DC-DC conversion needed anyway between the charge storage and the USB port. Then maybe you can charge it with a 2A charger. But at 50V.

But no matter how you want to adjust the current and voltage there is no way a 100W power supply would fit in a wall-wart... pretty sure EU has too many rules to not make that work. This is where the version that plugs directly to the socket might work instead (340V DC woot), but I'm very sure that will never make it past EU.

Often charging or using higher voltage caps gives you more energy storage, most instances where caps are used you find some sort of switcher circuit, done numerous ones including some headsets where fast charge is a field requirement, also had AA battery back up, because there is a chance you can replenish your AA batteries from the dying or wounded:devily:. The graphene caps just allow more joules per mm2...

Ever since, I been the Chief

And they're always little. How come there are no big bits?

So I ordered a salad, and the waiter said,"you want some bacon bits?"
I said, " pardon?"
He said it again! "You want some bacon bits?"
Lost it! Snapped!
Flurry to the solar plexus,a tomahawk jab, and a sockeye left hook to knock him out.
No body calls me a bits!
Ever since, I been the Chief!

Last edited:
Went to AXPONA this weekend, plenty of snake oil to choose from. My favorite was a cable company who patiently explained electromagnetic theory to me. Their thing was putting magnets everywhere, including in plugs in the wall socket which connected to nothing else. A sample of their breakthrough understanding in physics:

Magnetic conduction is a new patented form of conduction, implementing specially arranged magnetic fields to concentrate the signal within the conductor. The electrons of the audio signal have a quantum spin which gives them their "magnetic moment" or charge. It's this charge which allows the electrons to react with magnetic fields. So if we use a magnetic conductor instead of a regular conductor, we can guide the electrons (the audio signal) through the conductor in a very precise way to reduce distortion and signal loss.

Seriously, with deep thought and remarkable innovation like this, how can anyone ever be cynical about the fashion audio industry? They have won numerous accolades from reviewers, who are mental giants walking amongst us benighted pygmies. I feel ashamed for my past doubts and humbly apologize.

Until now, I didn't know that spin and charge were the same thing, or that it was the spin which caused moving electrons to interact with magnets. Likewise, I had no idea that the way to model a signal flowing in a wire was to look at electrons traveling through a vacuum.

From one of the reviews:
There was a dry erase board that became filled with diagrams of electrons and magnetic fields. There was even some talk of quantum physics. Parallel universes were mentioned. And there was Rick summing it all up and relating it all to the technology that went into his cables and the patents granted regarding said technology.

The man is a genius. We should be grateful.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
High Fidelity Cables

$20,900 for 1m of power cable. More than most would consider for the whole system.

Professional Series power cables are designed for industry professionals who make a living from reference audio gear. These cables are impractical for the average audiophile in both cost and construction. They are to be used as a tool to bring the very most out of connected components to show the true capability of the connected device in a "perfect world" provided by this device. Whether you are an audio manufacturer developing reference grade equipment and need to hear it without common distortion or a distributor or dealer of high end products and you want playback at the absolute of cutting edge of audio performance for professional demonstration of gear. The Pro Series will set you apart for the competition.

Glad I'm happy being a rank amateur :)

Status
Not open for further replies.