Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the marketing waffle I've seen, the audio industry seems to have more than it's fair share.. from throwing words like 'quantum' into everything, to 'refining the crystalline structure of copper to enable smoother mid-range and more balanced bass'.

Arrgh! Buriedcode beat me to it. The mere mention of the "Q-word" with regard to "high-end" audio equipment arouses my suspicion. It's still not as flogged-to-death as the "R-word" ("Reference"), though.

And as far as being thrown out of the show goes, I've been there, too. There always seems to be an opportunity to listen to a hard-sell so preposterous you almost can't keep your mouth shut. It's a bit like hearing someone fart in church; the more silent you have to be, the more hilarious it gets!:D

Graft-ene

So I bought some tubes from parts connexion, and indicated I'd be okay being emailed sales news.
They now offer (sale price) synergistic research graphene fuses, (their highest performing fuses so far), for a mere $129.
I thought thin enough to be near 2D lattice sheets might be used for super thin batteries, taking salt water and making it potable.... anything but that!
Maybe they were inspired by the glimmer twins- I see a clear fuse, and I want it Painted Black.
Random- going from Bonn Scott to Brian Johnson was like going from a Lambourgini to a Ferrari.
Going from Johnson to Rose is like going from a Ferrari to a Chevy Nova, with a broken Axl.

Interesting, that magnetic conduction guy moved from canada to texas?
I really don't understand why people fall for all that stuff. The typical audiophool product word salad is just unbearable to me.

I witnessed some guy selling granite speakers talking about cooper pairs at an audio meeting. I wanted to ask him if his speaker wires were superconducting, but assumed the answer would be even more BS.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Moving on Up at AXPONA | Stereophile.com

Scanning past the offensively expensive stuff we come to the shunyata demo. Some quotes below.

A totally convincing joint demo from Shunyata Research and Stillpoints took advantage of of Exemplar Audio's XL-III single driver/crossover-less, 95dB-sensitive, minimalist-design loudspeaker ($8995/pair) to highlight the difference a change of cable or equipment support can make. Paired with Exemplar's Expo T105d tubed multi-player/DAC/music server-an Exemplar-modified Oppo ($5000), Exception 50Wpc hybrid integrated amplifier ($5500), and Seagate HD ($99), Shunyata debuted its new Hydra Denali power condition ($4995), which takes advantage of filters the company developed for use in heart surgery clinics worldwide.

Nice bit of turn around from the paid shill saying how much the Shunyata home products helped his ECG. Suddenly 1 test on an ECG becomes 'worldwide'

Shunyata's Grant Samuelson attached a stock power cord to the Denali, which he in turn plugged into the company's Venom PS-8 power strip ($595), and played Elisabeth Shepherd's "Buzzard Song." Then he switched to Shunyata's Alpha High-Current power cord ($1250), and began the track anew. The difference in color was huge, and as apparent as the lower noise floor and greater liquidity. Then Bruce Jacobs did a 180° turn by removing the Stillpoints Ultra 6 isolation feet ($939/each) from the integrated amp, which sat upon a Quadraspire rack. Immediately, the music sounded leaden and lethargic, as though someone had slipped a downer into the signal path.

They either employee a magician or Derren Brown to do their demos. Not only peeking but waving the 'this is a much better cable' in front of the audience.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
They either employee a magician or Derren Brown to do their demos. Not only peeking but waving the 'this is a much better cable' in front of the audience.
Ah hypnosis by cable waving... Makes the wallet instantly open as the brain shuts down...

Maybe he was talking about blue jeans, and their importance when listening to music of certain genres?

:D
They need so to a cooper / levis / what-have-you listening test.....

Set up the system for measurement in the same way you listen to it, with every component connected (even this component is off, ...)

Take more appropriate test signals that better cover the content of the music you listen to, and not just "stupid" sine waves.

Have a "real complex load" to the power amp, even if you only probe measurement on the DAC. This makes a difference.

I dunno, there's merit in most of that. It's not always necessary, but sometimes it is.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It was more these two paragraphs

With this knowledge I began to work on a method to test and measure the common mode performance of a DUT between mains and signal ground and also to measure the common mode suppression of a mains transformer. From that experience on, I designed proprietary mains transformers with very high common mode rejection so that the stray signal that tries to enter into the device coming from the mains will be shielded to earth and the stray signal that tries to leave the device into the mains will be shielded to the power supply ground.
I would like to have a preamp that sounds as it should, no matter what orientation the mains cord has to the mains outlet. If you draw a complete signal flow diagram, with all stray currents, you will realize that beside the desired connection between the preamp and the power amp, there is also a "back door" where the signal creeps via the stray capacitance from both power transformers as a parallel path. And if you draw this diagram you will also see that with the typical impedance of RCA inputs at the power amp, and so with typical low signal current between pre and power amp, that these back door currents can have a much lower impedance at mid and high frequencies than the desired main signal path.

I thought all of that was generally taught in universities back then? I would have hoped his actual conclusion at the time was 'science, it works b*tches' (c)XKCD as everything he described there could be explained away very easily with no magic at all.

Or I am just too cynical these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.