Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has their embarrassing habits, and mine is reading up on snake oil, pseudoscience, and even... conspiracy theories. I'm so glad that diyaudio has a thread like this, I think all technical forums should have one.

Of all the marketing waffle I've seen, the audio industry seems to have more than it's fair share.. from throwing words like 'quantum' into everything, to 'refining the crystalline structure of copper to enable smoother mid-range and more balanced bass'.

But its not just the real wacky 'clearly making things up to make money', there's also some who genuinely believe such things, and then there's those who know just enough to be dangerous. Whilst its not snake oil, I do see plenty of mis-information about digital power, class D amps, DAC's etc.. so I guess the subjectivity of 'audio' means many claims can be made without being 'disproved'.

Like Dr Nick from the Simpsons.. 'you can eat anything you like!' - 'and I'll lose weight?' - 'you might... its a free country!'

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You see that a lot in fashion audio (and other areas) -- if you don't charge enough, people won't believe the deception....

I blame Ken Kessler. About 15 years ago he started telling everyone that if high end didn't go the way of other 'lifestyle' brands then it would die. Think Rolex, Aston Martin etc. The industry listened and gleefully accepted. Add in the dealer margins on bling wire and the rest is history.

Ah well, I was never their target market. Only things I bought new were my cartridge and the bluray player.

Status
Not open for further replies.