The Weather

I heard that the Great Lakes are getting a 'bomb-cyclone' storm for Christmas
I live about 40 minutes east of Lake Michigan, outside of Grand Rapids. We got a lot of snow, but aside from being cold (5 degrees F) and really windy it didn't shake out the way they were claiming it would. Not sure what constitutes a blizzard but I wouldn't call what we're currently having one at all.

Ice storm here. Not enough to take trees down, but need the crimp-cramp-ons on the boots in order to walk on it. Poor dog; his little foot pads are on pure ice and his master is highly reluctant to go much further than the garage door. The stairs leading down to the big garage are also pure ice, so I can forget going out to the shop in the normal way. As others have mentioned, too cold to work out there anyway. Pano, I envy you. What's it take to get there?

Did you have to find a shirt as well?
George’s shoes are actually sandals.
:ROFLMAO:

Shirt = Tank Top...
Those statements are usually true. I am seen out shoveling show in a pair of jeans and flip flops and no shirt most winter days, and that was the case when I went outside at about 6AM to fetch my snow shovel from the shed. It was 18 degrees F at the time. About halfway back a huge gust of wind blasted me in the face with about 2 or 3 shovel loads of snow from the roof. All other trips outside involved low cut boots, socks, a T-shirt, and a North Face hoodie that some would call a raincoat. It stops the wind, that's what matters.

I did venture outside about 3 PM in the T-shirt and flip flops to see if my van would start. The thermometer said 0 degrees F and the phone quoted the wind chill at -25 F. The van is a 2015 Ford Transit Connect with the original battery. Before heading out on a 2000 mile trip to Florida in September, I took it to the local Ford store for an oil change. I asked them to change the battery to avoid a surprise, but they said that it tested good. I went outside today, popped in the key and the van started right up.

I experienced some of the coldest weather of my life in the last 48 hours. I remember what 20 below (F) feels like from about 6 years ago. Yesterday it was 8 below with 40 mph winds and that felt colder. Just walking 20 feet to to the garage was unbelievable. I had two pairs of long johns on, two pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, three T shirts, two sweatshirts, a hoodie and two hats, and two jackets. It was unbearable! The wind went right through it all. It was even freezing in the house. Now the wind has died down and the house is bearable.

Nothing was rolling. Even the trains weren't running because the switches were frozen. But my buddy stopped by with whiskey and buddah and visited for a few hours. I wasn't surprised when he called because I have never seen anything stop him from being out and about his business.

I haven't taken my obligatory daily walk in a couple of days because of the weather. Walking is very important for me to heal from the surgery and not get sick again. It's going to be 40 degrees in a few days- crazy I know- and I'll gladly make up for it. I feel restless cooped up inside.

-16C this morning when I got up. Weather underground 10 Day forecast:

We are experiencing rolling blackouts. Lost power this morning so I went to the shed to get out the aux generator. Wouldn't start on battery, and I could not pull it over enough to start it.

After power came back on (20 minutes) I put it on the battery charger and got it to start. I ran a bowl full of gas through it to warm it up and let it die. I will see if it will start this afternoon.

I reckon I need to store it in the heated garage.

Attachments

• Weather_Forecast_Weather_Underground.png
    Weather_Forecast_Weather_Underground.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 52
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I used to know but it’s basically a certain amount of snow and a certain amount of wind over a certain period of time. Too few brain cells to remember the numbers.
In Canada (which includes you too, Cal even though you're in the Lower Mainland) it is:
A blizzard is a winter storm characterized by strong winds, significant wind chill, and poor visibility due to blowing snow. Environment and Climate Change Canada uses the following general criteria for issuing blizzard warnings:

• Strong winds reaching 40 km/h or greater
  • Visibility of less than 1 km
  • Cold temperatures
  • Conditions lasting longer than 4 hours

I've noted a couple instances of unseasonably warm weather here in Wa state. A warm breeze in January... My wife noted the outdoor temperature as "70" on this electronic display, to which I remarked "It's warmer outside than it is in here" as it has indoor temperature too. I doubt the accuracy of the thing, as it's hard to believe!

Reactions: 1 user
This is no kind of January for Chicago. Except for the first few days it's been way above normal and for the most part above freezing.

This kind of weather is what passes for spring in these parts (except the days are still really short and the sun is really low in the sky). Sure enough, the early spring flowers are making an appearance with little green shoots popping out of the ground. But this is not spring yet. I find it hard to believe we're only going to have one minor accumulating event for the whole winter. Blizzards have happened in April here and it wouldn't surprise me this year.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Spoke to my friend who lives in Felton and he sent me a video of a redwood floating down the river at the back of his garden. Santa cruz beach looks like a lumber yard now from all the wood washed down. Over here we've had the normal rain for January, just all in a few days! now it's gone cold again. But our reservoirs are filling up which is what we need.

@Fast Eddie D I never could get my head around the binary seasons in chicago. One day snow, next day shorts and t shirt, two days later snow then suddenly it was summer :)

There's actual snow sticking to the ground. The air temp is below freezing for a change.

I can remember when the ground was frozen solid from Jan 1 to March 15 every single year, no exceptions. When the ground thawed the flowers started growing right away. They were never "confused" about when spring started. But yesterday the grass was green, there were green shoots in my garden, and my neighbor saw "Snowdrop" flowers blooming in the neighborhood yesterday.

It looks like winter will finally start later this week when a more classic winter storm pattern moves into the area, bringing the possibility of accumulating snow.