The food thread

Also on topic, I now have a freezer full of lamb, legs, chops, steaks and ground. Looking for new ideas on how to use it.

For lamb's leg, a wonderful recipe goes as such.

Get a big round bread. At least 1.5kg or something. Cut the top of it and set it aside. Mostly empty the bread to make a basket. Pass some garlic all around the interior of the bread.

Get a lamb's leg. Make small cuts into it with a sharp knife and fill those cuts with anchovies. Rub in olive oil, salt, pepper.

Make a bed at the bottom of the bread with onions, walnuts, olives. Add a bit of whole garlic, thyme and rosemay.

Put the leg on top of that bed. Continue filling the bread with the same mix until full.

Put the top of the bread back on it, tie it. Pack the bread in aluminum foil. Cook at least 2hours in the oven at 180°c (depending on size of bread, leg, etc). 15 minutes before the end, remove the foil so that the bread is crisp (you can also start cooking for 10 min before packing in foil).

When cooked, remove the leg from the bread, cut it into slices, put it back into the bread. To serve, give everyone a slice of meat, a slice of bread and add some salad.

If you can get real young lamb, it can be done with both a shoulder and a leg as they're smaller.

crossed the street to the resturant on opposite corner, their heating system clearly having difficulty keeping up with the weather

had to put 2 of 3 outer layers back on - the butter with the cornbread got harder as the meal went on

the Brisket, mashed and green beans was fine as usual

the Space Cowboy Country Ale draft from Oxbow Brewing Company was watery in comparison to the porter I tasted but had to pass on because of too much coffee flavor

We had Ham for Christmas dinner. With the new range, I overcooked it. (1) I didn't measure the temp against a known thermometer, (2) I used Convection oven which I'm not used to.

The oven runs 18F too high, I will compensate in the future by turning it down slightly.

I will note that convection cooks hotter than conventional.

New Years Day will be NY Strip Roast, Yorkshire pudding, Green Bean Casserole, and mashed potatoes with gravy.

Hopefully I will do better for it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Going to be making avocado sushi rolls for lunch based on this recipe sometime next week or a week after, I'm waiting on ingredients to arrive from SK: (the local store doesn't stock these items anymore)
Impressive Homemade Sushi Recipe: Hand-Rolled Salmon Avocado and Cucumber Sushi – 12 Tomatoes

100 sheets Korean Premium Seaweed Dried Laver Healthy nori sushi gimbab | eBay
200g New Katsuobusi Dried Bonito 100% Flakes for topping udon tofu salad etc. | eBay

Then once the seaweed sheets arrive I'll go out and buy avocados and cucumbers fresh from the fruit shop that is nearby here. I've already ordered some items off coles online:
miso paste
rice vinegar
sushi rice
non-smoked salmon
& I've got gluten free soy sauce in the fridge.

Also will be making miso soup (Aka-Miso = red paste = salty taste) almost daily. (I've already bought 5kg of shiitake mushrooms)
Miso Soup Basics | RecipeTin Japan

No this is not a new years resolution. Though I did eat 4x double quarter pounders in the last 2 days. I feel terrible. Suffice to say that I'm fed up with the western diet having eaten it my whole life, its just not as healthy as a japanese diet is, decided that I want to go back to my roots several years ago and try to break into having a japanese diet again. (its difficult because of my financial status, but not impossible if I buy in bulk.)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Found a good local source for Kombu/Konbu (apparently its banned from imports due to australian nanny-state customs, saving us from high levels of iodine? wtf? they add it to salt here locally.)

KOREAN KELP DASIMA Dashi Soup stock Kombu Dashi Use For base udon & miso | eBay

This is different from the seaweed used with sushi preparation, this Kombu seaweed is used to make the Dashi stock (soup base/stock) in addition to the Katsuboshi (dried bonito flakes). If you use the seaweed meant for preparing sushi you won't get the same seaweed flavour/smell and more importantly you won't get the same nutrients.

For a tasty/aromatic miso soup its essential. Dashi stock without Kombu seaweed? : AskCulinary

Last edited:
By hotter, do you meaner faster? That has certainly been my experience.

That would be an interesting study, playing with the sous vide has peaked my interest in the thermodynamics of the process. It's certainly a combination of radiation and conduction to the hot air. So just like a heat sink the moving air enhances conduction.

BTW my biggest problem with ovens is hysteresis, for some reason my last oven had a lot. My test was to let it come up to temp and wait 15 min or so and restart and I could get as much as 25 degrees catch up doing this.

That would be an interesting study, playing with the sous vide has peaked my interest in the thermodynamics of the process. It's certainly a combination of radiation and conduction to the hot air. So just like a heat sink the moving air enhances conduction.

BTW my biggest problem with ovens is hysteresis, for some reason my last oven had a lot. My test was to let it come up to temp and wait 15 min or so and restart and I could get as much as 25 degrees catch up doing this.

Yes I think convection oven are "faster" at the "same" temp setting, because of the better heat transfer to the food. My LG range automatically reduces the thermostat setting by 25 degrees if convection is selected. (It has 2 convection settings, bake and roast. Roast is full-time fan, bake is intermittent.). The temperature reduction is optional, however.

I think the convection fan reduces hysteresis considerably because the heated air is moved around and so 1) is cooled by contact with the food and 2) causes the air to pass over the sensor, so it is sensing oven temperature rather than just one part of the oven. I certainly notice what you describe: If I set the oven to "bake" (conventional, no fan) at 350F, and it reaches temperature, then I set it to "convection roast" at 350F, which the oven converts to 325F, it still takes time to get up to temperature.

My wife won't use the convection settings because they were unknown to her mother. I won't use anything besides convection. It gives great results, and reduces cook times.

Well I may be luckier than you others but I have 4 convection ovens here and I don't use any of them in 'regular' mode anymore.

I take that to mean you don't bake. Next we can discuss the need for four ovens! Can I assume they are at least different sizes?

Then there is the interesting issue of having the ultra deluxe kitchen and using ingredients that many others would throw out!

(I do have to admit in your photo essays you do demonstrate excellent portion size control!!!)