The food thread

Fun today, disposal seized up and a quick crank on the allen wrench to loosen it up showed that it was really seized and I turned the whole mess and cracked off the plastic fitting so now the water leaks right out onto the floor. This is as we started to prep Christmas dinner so I did something I never did before, I called the 24hr. emergency plumber and just said fix it right now (hose me). The world's most expensive garbage disposal.

Scott,

PM me a shipping address and I will send you a roll of duct tape.

My house warming gift has been household repair items that include both sizes of sink drains. Always get strange looks at the giving time and a very grateful thank-you a few years later.

Just for fun I decided to get a gout flare. Last time was 12 years ago. Turns out gout is seasonal. Seems the worst foods are beer, turkey, shrimp and bacon.

I still had the 12 year old pills, but it seems unlike whiskey they don't get better with time. But for me at least a new pill or two and the pain goes away, but still off my feet for a few days to prevent permanent damage.

One time in the emergency room while looking at the inside parts of my left thumb, I had to mention to the doctor that gout was way more painful.

I did one time upset one of the ER staff when I explained my pain scale. 10 is when you scream until you pass out, when you come to you scream until you pass out again. 9 is popping a hip out or a shoulder out the back. 8 is a shoulder out the front. 7 is appendicitis. 6 is small caliber gunshot. Gout was 3...

Haven't done a 10 yet.

So to everyone crazy enough to read my musing, have a wonderful holiday!

I was hit head on by a car while I was riding a bicycle. I put that as a 10.

Sorry to hear of your pain Simon, I hope it abates and you can enjoy the holidays.

I have been amiss lately due to family issues.

My daughter called me two weeks ago and told me her marriage was done, kaput, over with, and wanted to come home with her three children. Of course, I said yes. Fortunately, her brother moved home last year and he has been very helpful in dealing with all the issues we have encountered. So it is a mixed blessing. I am glad to have the family home again, but it tares me apart knowing her marriage has failed. She is going to have a rough row to hoe.

On the food subject, I am going to do a simple Christmas this year. Usually I go all out when family is in, but we all agreed that with the stress we are under something simple is in order.

Ham
Sweet potatoes
Yeast Rolls (or maybe Biscuits)
Mac and Cheese (Kids always love it)
Peas and Onions (if I can find Pearl Onions)
Sweet tea

That simplified Christmas dinner sounds like a great plan.
Glad for your daughter that she has a great, supporting family.

I just had a bowl of cereal for dinner, speaking of simple, thinking tomorrow will be a barbeque day...

We replaced our 20 year old Whirlpool dishwasher with a bargain priced GE, which was then removed in minutes and returned for a nicer model, which is much more quiet than the previous ones.

Thanks for the tip DHP, I'll go for it.

Oh, I got my baby back.

After four spigots I finally found the right size, #1. I pulled the offending spigot, replaced it, and put a couple liters of Sherry in it to start the process of curing the spigot. You can see the color seeping into it at the cask base in the picture.

I purchased 18 ea 1.5L bottles of Taylor Dry Sherry to refill it with. That is the sherry my father found the closest to the Oleroso that was used in Spain to fill it. Still it was almost $200, which I guess is cheap considering some wines go for more than that per bottle.

It is in the basement back room where the humidity is highest and temp is lowest until it recovers from the treatment it has had to undergo.

Attachments

• 20171221_223951.jpg
    20171221_223951.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 85
I was hit head on by a car while I was riding a bicycle. I put that as a 10.

Sorry to hear of your pain Simon, I hope it abates and you can enjoy the holidays.

I have been amiss lately due to family issues

Actually I am of the school all that is behind me and it only makes one stronger.

Hope you find out all works for the better.

But just in case PM me a shipping address and I will send you a large bottle or two of cheap strong spirits. (My theory is when you need a bit, the bad stuff works well enough and in theory doesn't lead to abuse.)

That is the sherry my father found the closest to the Oleroso that was used in Spain to fill it. Still it was almost $200, which I guess is cheap considering some wines go for more than that per bottle.

It is in the basement back room where the humidity is highest and temp is lowest until it recovers from the treatment it has had to undergo.

I am reading a book right now about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. The principal architect was a Mr. Burnham of the firm Burnham and Root. When that firm became successful, building the early skyscrapers in Chicago, Burnham celebrated his new-found wealth by buying, every year, a cask of fine Madeira wine. He aged each barrel of wine by shipping it twice around the world via slow freighters. Twice.

Actually I am of the school all that is behind me and it only makes one stronger.

It's been years but when our friends from Germany visit they sometimes insist on mass quantities of pork and lobster. The folk cure really works, apple cider vinegar mixed with water. You need a lot and it's hard to take literally a cup of each and drink it all. Last time it worked in about 4hr.

...Haven't done a 10 yet.

So to everyone crazy enough to read my musing, have a wonderful holiday!
15 years back I had a bad fall and fractured a vertebra.
Once I was in the hospital bed a nurse came round and asked "Out of ten...."
I was uber fit from bicycle commuting and my work (I used to race back in the day, much more painful than a 'little' back injury') so I answered "...about six".
She handed me a standard Panadol and off she went.

Four hours later another nurse came round and asked "Out of ten...." and I answered ELEVEN.
She handed me a little green and white capsule which turned out to be morphine.
I don't remember drifting off to sleep but I do remember waking with my hand still on the TV remote control and in searing pain and waiting another hour before the next opiate 'hit'.
Wonderful drug when you need it but the mega constipation side effect was more PITAful than the original injury.
They sent me home in a body brace with boxes of more opiates but I threw them into a drawer and toughed it out for the next six months, thankfully my back is good as gold nowadays.

Christmas cheers to all.

Dan.

Scott,

As usual! (Wrong quote!)

The little green gout pill (indomethacin) costs 24 cents and provides relief in about 25 minutes. There is a stronger pill for serious cases.

But for me no beer, one serving of turkey and skip the shrimp. Bacon is not a biggie for me either.

Now almost on topic. I just got in my bit of lamb. This year I also got what they call steaks. Really just a slice of leg with a small bit of round leg bone.

My current cooking method for slices of red meat is to sear each side on high heat and then finish at 250 degrees F for a few minutes each side. Worked great. Nice medium rare and fork tender.

Where I get my lamb they have a special on chops. Twenty 4 ounce chops for $155.00. Next year I may even get an estimate on a full rack!

The other change I made was to eat more smoked salmon. Generally an ounce 4 times a week. All for the omega 3. Seems to work. For those here who care dropped my PSA from "We really should look around." to normal! Also dropped my cholesterol to under 180. Other fun item I found figs work better on heartburn than tums! (Other benefits too for us older guys.)

Sorry if I spoil anyone's fun, but it really seems the older I get the more food becomes important. So not just taste anymore.

Last edited:
The little green gout pill (indomethacin) costs 24 cents and provides relief in about 25 minutes. There is a stronger pill for serious cases.
Ed, If you are speaking about Allopurinol (Zyloprim), it's a preventative medicine rather than a pain reliever. I have been on it for about 4 years now and have not had an attack since. Yes I have curbed my diet but not a great deal. At one point I looked at the list of banned foods and also looked at buying a pistol. I would be buying a cheap one as I was only going to need it once. Allopurinol saved the day.
Heading over the river and through the snow:
Looks great Jack.