The food thread

Ed you seem to be part MacGuyver, part Mr T and part Vlad the impaler :)

Reminded me of a Mark Twain story on "how to stop pick-pockets"

Our little part of northeast Ohio was filled with orchard upon orchards of apples and cherries from the early 1800's. There are still remnants of these trees today.

Favorite orchard in the US is that of Luther Burbank in Santa Rosa CA. He devised a lemon which could be grown in northern climes -- it has a particular sour-citrussy aroma and the texture of a golf ball. At least he tried.

One of my grand-daughters asked to plant some apple seeds in our back yard -- will see how that turns out. I have read (as Simon7000 suggests) the results are highly variable!

Last night I managed to barbecue a pair of 1 1/2” (40mm) thick pork chops after leaving a rub on for a while, were amazing.

I had some street trees that I had planted in a parking strip(patch between sidewalk and street), had the similar problems with drunk/stupid drivers parking too close to the root balls. I went to a quarry and purchased a bunch of large rocks, worked well.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
No, you seem to chose advertorials...

Also I live overlooking fields so I can see the crops and rapeseed in this part of the world has become a lot less popular in the last 10 years. The winter wheat is already in so won't be any yellow flowers next year. But good news if the upturn in prices means it remains on the shelves. Happy if the farmer doesn't plant it again though as it really triggers my allergies.

Tarte tatin again

I'm pretty sure I have described this before. I made pear tarte tatin again, scented with cinnamon, cardamom, and star anise. Very fresh local pears, and for once I made the "rough puff" pastry. It all came together nicely, except I got distracted and forgot to flambe the pears: I'm drinking the cognac that I had measured out now.

Pics are the tarte as it came out of the oven, and after turning it out.

4657359509185329456.jpg
4677810572076322831.jpg

that people only want 'perfect' fruit and veg is because they have been brainwashed over decades - it began in the 1960s. As long ago as the 70s Joni Mitchell penned and sung those words about taking the spots on the apples and leave me the birds and the bees.

Every Friday morning is the big marche and one big stall always has misshapen veg. I love all peppers and look to buy the red,green and yellow bell peppers that get rejected by buyers in Almeria, they usually costs €1 p.k. I thin cut them and chunky cut them.

So today I will make pilau rice and add cardoman seeds, great when you crunch into one. At the death I add steamed but still crunchy, chunky cuts of pepper, wedges of carrots and crispy fried chicken pieces finished with sweet chilli sauce, for myself I will add pieces of hot chilli mixed in with the rice.

I remember one particularly good year for field mushrooms and magic ones. The magic ones were in one field and the field ones in another. This field was white with them. I also found some lovely big Puffballs that the maggots hadn't got to.

Puffballs cut into steaks are wonderful cooked in a little butter with a lovely cheesy flavour. Guess what when I took some of the field and Puffballs round to my parents (they wouldn't have appreciated the magic ones) they refused to eat them - because they didn't come from a supermarket or greengrocers, yet before WW11 they were sold in the street markets everywhere.

Women especially after WW11 were open to being brainwashed about food. The only spaghetti I got to eat as a boy was that terrible Heinz crap in a tin, I had to teach myself to cook when I left home.

Outside of Guadix in Andalucia where we used to live there were pear orchards and one autumn after the trees had been pruned I saw a lot of nice straight prunings that I thought would make good walking sticks. I found one which had been cut near the trunk leaving it with a nice slightly curved end. I made this into a nice long staff/walking stick. Pear wood id light but very very strong. If you've got access to pear trees and enjoy walking select and make one, you won't be disappointed

Attachments

• Bangers and Mash by Chef Marcus Wareing.jpg
    Bangers and Mash by Chef Marcus Wareing.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Bangers and Mash by system7.jpg
    Bangers and Mash by system7.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 149
Bisto - the taste bud killer, along with Oxo and HP sauce. Left the UK and all that crap behind 20 years ago - If I never saw any of that vile crap again it would be too soon. Luckily I caught onto the excellent north African stock cubes a long time ago - far less salt and much more authentic taste.

Bangers/Toulouse sausages and classic bubble and squeak served with home made chutney and lots of fresh onion slices.

What I do miss are the excellent sausages you could buy at a little shop in George Street, Hove. So many different kinds - my favourite lamb, rosemary and garlic, bloody marvellous and you always had to queue and often they would have run out of the ones I wanted.

I know George Street, Hove! Very nice place. Like a French Street. Lots of Wine and Olives and Gourmet shops! The Bangers and Mash and strong Onion Gravy blew my head off actually. A white onion and a red one made it all a bit much. It's not a meal I really, like I have decided. I had the smell of Onions following me around for hours. :eek:

Pork in wine and potatoes with herbs is what the French would do.

I always think the Perfect is the enemy of the Good. :)

BBC One - MasterChef: The Professionals, Series 14, Episode 1, Skills Test: Extra special bangers and mash

A ludicrous waste of good Brandy and Beer IMO, by some TV Charlatan called Chef Marcus Wareing.
How hard is Bangers and Mash? With gourmet Bisto gravy in my interpretation.

C'mon, hands up! Mine wins. More Bangers. More Mash. Simple. :D

So I had a voucher from my parents for Brown & Forrest who I've had stuff from before, so the delivery turned up yesterday..
* smoked sausages
* smoked duck
* smoked chicken breast
* smoked ham
* smoked pastrami
* smoked beef steak

Had the sausages and mash yesterday. Better than a restaurant :D No need to hide the bangers in gravy.

Trying to decide which will be for tonight!

Last edited: