The food thread

This was the first Homebrew Club camp out in two years. 12 of us attended at a local White Water Rafting campground. The Nolochucky river is in the background of one picture. It is a Class 1 - 3 whitewater river.

Smoked Corned beef was a really big success.

I boiled the corned beef for two hours before smoking for 7 hours. A lot of shrinkage, but the end result was worth it.

We had four kegs of homebrew, one keg of commercial Kolsch, and assorted bottled beer.

A great time was had by all.

The last picture is my teardrop camper nicknamed "The Turtle".

Attachments

• Camping 1.jpg
    Camping 1.jpg
    971.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Camping 2.jpg
    Camping 2.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Camping 3.jpg
    Camping 3.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Camping 4.jpg
    Camping 4.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 73
I'd been avoiding cooking a pork roast, but the shriveling parsnips finally convinced me it was time on Saturday night. So here's what I had for late dinner at 12:30am Sunday. Pork, carrots, onion, potatoes, parsnip, pumpkin and kumera (that's kiwi for sweet potatoes).

Attachments

• Roast Pork.jpg
    Roast Pork.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 81
Cool, thanks Gimp……I’ve been wanting to try smoking corned beef for years now. So is that 5 hrs + 2 hrs wrapped or 5 hrs total with last 2 hrs wrapped?
Probably a good 20 years ago we got a killer deal on some brisket and made our own corned beef…….I forgot how long it sat but I do remember it was a rather uncomfortable stretch, turned out good although the take away was some things are better left to the professional! :p

Last edited:
Bob, not stepping on toes here but yes, immersion cooking is perfect for corned brisket. Also, don’t be afraid of using nitrites for your brine time as you aren’t going to expose it to heat enough to cause problems. I now do mine for 10 to 14 days before cooking. I also would do the smoking before the immersion cooking but Gimp was taking it camping so that would be difficult.

I always understood Pastrami to be Smoked Corned Beef.

Corned Beef for my family (Irish Scots English with a french name) was to be boiled.

Smoking follows.

I did try smoking one without boiling it and it took 12 hrs and wasn't as tender.

The immersion cooking sounds like a nice twist if I can get a big enough pot. I may try that next time when I start from brisket instead of packaged corned beef.

If you are going to Sous Vide it, that will be at a lower temp and the time should be extended to compensate.

I did Souse Vide a corned beef once for 36 hours. Part of it had a texture of potted meat. :eek:

Last edited:
My experience has changed but the order things are done hasn’t.
Originally it was brine for a week, that included liquid smoke, then vacuum seal it in that brine and simmer for a few hours. Now I brine for a couple weeks then cold smoke, vacuum seal dry and sous vide for 12 or more hours. I have also changed my trimming habits. I no longer rape the thing of all the fat. I tend to leave a little on, not too much but some. I can’t see what Gimp did but the cut slice on the plate sure looks good.