John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
George, PMA more power to you not a lot of interest in real engineering here these days just fairy tales.
+1

What is interesting is that, other than Bruno this has only been dabbled in with a few studio monitors (and could argue the kii3 is targeted more at studios or at least will sell more there). Shame really that audiophools just don't get active speakers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You could also look at this from a more progressive perspective.

Aren't we all complaining once in a while that the iPhone generation doesn't value high quality audio? Put your self in their place:

You come back from the gym, soothing music on your hi-end earbuds. You get home and want to continue to listen. Now you've got to switch on half a dozen equipment, select a source, possibly change something on the DAC - a DAC?? why do I need that?? and why is that in a separate box, and wow, all those cables!!
Still no sound - ohh yes, need to switch on the power amp, then wait a few minutes for it to cycle through it's initialization.
Finally. Sound.

Alternative situation: you come back from the gym, listening to soothing music. Enter apartment, and casually select another renderer in Roon on your iPhone, and as you enter the living, the music continues seamlessly from the Kii's.

It's not that the iPhone generation is not interested in good music. It's that we insist to force stuff on them they don't want and don't need.

Jan

You could also look at this from a more progressive perspective.
Aren't we all complaining once in a while that the iPhone generation doesn't value high quality audio? Put your self in their place:
It's not that the iPhone generation is not interested in good music. It's that we insist to force stuff on them they don't want and don't need.
Count me in.
My system consists of active speakers connected to an old Android phone serving as a wireless connection from my modem/router.
When I come home, I flick one wall switch and my audio system is up, instantly.
Next I power up my modem/router and PC.
From then on I have a world of music/content at my fingertips, be it locally stored or streamed, and no need to leave my chair.
NAS controlled by phone/tablet/PC is the ultimate in musical convenience...YES, who in this modern living/decor age really wants all those cables and boxes and buttons and remotes ???.
Wireless done right can deliver perfect SQ....sorry Sonos and Bose, you ain't in the race.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
In fact, good headphones are ideal for this application, even if they're not normally your cup of tea. Removes a lot of confounding factors (modicum of isolation, consistent local environment as long as you're carful to position the phones on your ear in the same place, tend towards lower distortion inherently) so you can tell where you sit/stand with regards to the introduced distortion levels.

This is more along the lines I would use. But might be interesting to do it both ways and see if i get same results.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Count me in.
My system consists of active speakers connected to an old Android phone serving as a wireless connection from my modem/router.
When I come home, I flick one wall switch and my audio system is up, instantly.
Next I power up my modem/router and PC.
...YES, who in this modern living/decor age really wants all those cables and boxes and buttons and remotes ???.
Wireless done right can deliver perfect SQ....sorry Sonos and Bose, you ain't in the race.

Dan.

I have my PC/modem/wifi etal on a UPS. PC goes into idle mode and the rest draws little Watts so it is up and ready all the time; PC or music or video is instant gratification. :)

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
George, PMA more power to you not a lot of interest in real engineering here these days just fairy tales.

Really?? Lots of interest in more advanced drivers, ESL, bi-tri amped and controlled dispersion, clean source material...... and what works best and why.

But, most of the comments are all around the edges and so do get little respect. Now those who show us where to look for a more complete picture of a topic is Very useful.

Though current driven or voltage driven varies considerably in results depending on driver and driver technology. So, not too helpful on an individual basis.

But doesnt mean not of interest what others have done and results/conditions.

Dont be discouraged. We are still with you.... just have different priorities at any given moment in time so it seems like dismissing engineering. I am not on the same track most of the time. Once in sync, you get different view. I am sure.

-RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
+1

What is interesting is that, other than Bruno this has only been dabbled in with a few studio monitors (and could argue the kii3 is targeted more at studios or at least will sell more there). Shame really that audiophools just don't get active speakers.

Well, I had an uber tri amped system 30 years ago as best way. No doubt about it. All analog. Figured that out a long time ago. Today I am full circle with bi-amped / DSP system after a stint with full range ESL.

There is interest. Tell us something new about it. Talking around the edges will fall on deaf ears.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Jan, I really hope u are right, but at the moment the lifestyle market is mono (sonus and devaliet). Certainly a NAS was the best upgrade I've made in years.
Sure there are numerous single box mono and stereo solutions, eg tv soundbar, small portable/wireless battery powered speakers etc.
One of the Sonos systems I have experienced is stereo/surround fixed system, ie 240V powered speakers assigned wireless network identities.
Channel assignment is performed at the wireless server, and allows expansion capability such as wireless subwoofer and loudspeakers in extra zones, each with individual source and control via interface such as iPad/phone etc.

What's not to love provided that the SQ is appropriate ?.
That said, my experience of the Sonos systems is that the functions/facilities/ergonomics are wonderful, and that SQ is sub-optimal.
The sound is not bad per se....quite good enough for families/trendies etc who don't know or care for the difference, and who do not like boxes and cables in view when two shoebox white or decor coloured/personalised boxes fit in ideally and unobtrusively.

My current system configuration does essentially what the Sonos does but takes the SQ to a new level.
Wireless connection is typically noisy but this can be cured...transmitters/receivers and antennas are tweaked in my system and the wireless connection is now entirely acoustically transparent despite the two transmission paths.

So, really high SQ wireless systems are possible easily, and once the hipsters hear it they are going to want it.
The desire for good quality sound has never gone away, the problem is that 'old school' systems simply do not fit in with modern lifestyles and house layouts.

Dan.

I have my PC/modem/wifi etal on a UPS. PC goes into idle mode and the rest draws little Watts so it is up and ready all the time; PC or music or video is instant gratification. :)
When I am away I turn everything off (no solar power/ups etc) for energy conservation reasons, and when I got to bed I turn everything off for RF/EMR reasons......that is whole other subject, and one of increasing importance/significance.

Dan.

Since I am working on self powered and optionally wireless connectivity that begs the question of wireless connectivity. Most of the commercial things I see are using Bluetooth as the wireless connection, I'm looking at using WiFi but should I include both options? I think that Libre wireless now has a solution that includes both modes, that may be the answer to this question, just have both, I'm being quite but there is some progress on my side of things, just slower than I would have liked. Power for amplification with be a combination of class-d and class-ab.

Since I am working on self powered and optionally wireless connectivity that begs the question of wireless connectivity. Most of the commercial things I see are using Bluetooth as the wireless connection, I'm looking at using WiFi but should I include both options?.
I am running an old Android phone as the WiFi receiver connected to a unbal/bal convertor feeding active speakers.
This is a quick/costless way to get you up and running and the sound really is immaculate.
Bluetooth although convenient is not reliable enough for more than 5m range.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.