John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Yeah, after all the grief he'd brought upon others with his trademark lawsuit thuggery, reading that piece was schadenfreudelicious! :devilr:

se
Indeed. In fact I thought that lawsuit activity was one of their major revenue sources. I adored reading about their purchase of the renaming of the stadium to Monster, and most people presuming it was the Monster of the job search company.

Oh I certainly agree. IMO they are no better or worse than a lot of other brands, but their marketing skills are second to none. The Beats stuff may end up surpassing them, tho. At least for awhile.

Future historians will mark the beginning of the decline of Western Civilization by the day that our universities began offering degrees in "Marketing". :(

Before marketing the king would send in the sheriff , today the vig is paid voluntary ....

:)

Now is there anything wrong with what I just said? Am I supposed to hide my connections, behind some veil of intellectual modesty?
No, as long as those famous names are not used to replace technical demonstrations. As a sound engineer, i knew a lot of famous singers, this don't added me any talent as a singer. And i knew a lot of other sound engeneers, some both famous and not even competent.
I don't like 'fashion' either. Dr. Dree's headphones are a good example.
I don't see those things as fashion audio. Just marketing using some star's name to sell gadgets, like basket shoes.
I had no idea of what it was, those Monster Beats by Dr. Dre "used in the most famous studios" haha)
Those are fashion audio, on my opinion:
HigherFi-Ultimate - The Worlds Best and Most Expensive Amps
HigherFi-Ultimate - The Worlds Best and Most Expensive Speakers

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Well I hope we are all not cutting our own throats here and characterizing ourselves as malcontents, as I suspect most of us are not well-fixed for immediate retirement. On the other hand, I recall when Brad Plunkett mentioned a client he'd had for something he thought so odious and lacking in all redeeming social merit, let alone any conceivable efficacy at what it purported to do, that he said he'd tell his kids he was a white slaver before describing the device.

Even my kids who are no audiophiles have judged that the Dr. Dre headphones do not offer anything beyond what they can get from an inexpensive Sony headphone for much less money. They are totally aware that it is a fashion statement, nothing different than having to have an Apple branded product just to show off the nice industrial designs that make them what they are in the market. No I am not saying that Apple does not make some good products, just that half the price is for the cache of the product, not necessarily a superior product. If I had to choose I would probably go for a Bose branded headphone, at least in that realm they have done some real engineering. But I will stick with the names we all know in headphones, AKG or many other names we all know from quality sound purveyors. For that matter has any ever done a frequency response test on the Dr. Dre headphones, I can't keep them on my head for more than a few seconds at best, a slight improvement over the worst cheap headphones you could buy to my ears.

freq.jpg

Beats-Pro

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There was a AES paper from Harmon with measurements of different headphones and a blind test of the different headphones. Doing the blind test was quite the challenge. I don't know if its available other than behind the paywall at AES. They were cagey about which headphone was which but reading between the lines there were Audeeze and Beats Studio's in the mix.

I have measured many headphones including all of the Monster headphones of course. The measurements tell little about their sound beyond simple gauges of overall balance, just like speakers. Further no two different systems will give the same measurements, another AES paper from years ago.

There was a AES paper from Harmon with measurements of different headphones and a blind test of the different headphones. Doing the blind test was quite the challenge. I don't know if its available other than behind the paywall at AES. They were cagey about which headphone was which but reading between the lines there were Audeeze and Beats Studio's in the mix.

Sure they were Audez'e and not HiFiMAN, another very popular ortho?

se

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Which system was that measured with? I don't see the characteristic resonances at 12 KHz or so of a 711 coupler.

Attached is a typical measurement using a GRAS artificial ear of an early Beats Pro. Most of the Beats headphones have the characteristic depressed midrange. That is part of their signature. The boosted bass as well, essential for the hip-hop scene.

There are valid arguments for the balance and different target curves but they are meaningless one way or the other when compared to the sales figures for successful headphones. The curve shown sells. Every serious audiophile in the world could buy a specific headphone and that would not keep the line running for a week.

Attachments

• BTS_Pro_20120411_GT_1.0_FR_LT_MR.JPG
    BTS_Pro_20120411_GT_1.0_FR_LT_MR.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 146
1audio,
The problem I have with the concept of making these headphones work for Hip Hop music is you are taking a music mix that is already heavy in the bass, lacking in mids and nothing but synthetic highs from a keyboard and doing the same in the headphones own curve here. Making a bad mix even worse. So you are saying that any other music will sound like hell on them, this I can agree on after listening to multiple different models. The industrial design is nice but the sound quality isn't any better than a $5 computer loudspeaker really.

Status
Not open for further replies.