And what did we buy today?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
One of our favourite hang outs has big glass units that spin on a large ring bearing. Very nice for when you can't reach across.

In the style of Crocodile Dundee. That's not a lazy Susan. THIS is a lazy susan :D

On the topic of what did you buy today? 650uL of Ferrotec ferro fluid, to replace the fluid in my 17 yo tweeters... The cost for 650ul was only $5 more than for 100ul (which may or may not be enough for one tweeter). There was also 300uL avaiable but it was only $1 less than 650uL so decided to err on the side of caution. Should be more than enough for two. Total outlay, $24 AU.

edit: 2nd pic of the room added. Definitely the most extravagant dinner I have ever been to (and not something I could ever afford to attend if paying). Faces have been pixelated in the image.

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_0097_00001_01.jpg
    DSC_0097_00001_01.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0064_00001.jpg
    DSC_0064_00001.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I like that Tony,
Put repairs on it and rotate as you get the parts or get stuck on something.

Finally painting the inside of the house after 20 years being here. Of course around the 20 year mark, many major things need attention. Last year it was the roof and water heater. The water softener got replaced this year and went on fiber optic cable for internet. Cost the same as I was paying before but with 500 meg up and down load. After 4 years I discovered that my motherboard network card is broken, won't go over 100 meg and it is a gigabit "card". New one on the way from Amazon (network card).

Hey sthcoaster! Congrats on the house!!! Looks like you will have a very nice work space. Now we all expect to see great things from you in about a year. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kodabmx,
Thanks, tried that. I'm about 20' from the modem, only 6' straight line. I get 100 Meg transfer, all my other machines farther away get the full 550 Meg. Since it is locked onto 100 Meg, I am pretty sure the card has decided it can only do that. If it had some intermediate transfer rate I would agree with you completely.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kodabmx,
Since your post, I tried yet another cable. Unbagged it - brand new. That was it, that cable run must be crimped somewhere and I cut up the first cable I tried to test it with. No way am I going to have a defective cable hanging around to confuse things!

Replacing the card would have been easier than running another cable. Oh well, thank you for the thought and spurring me to test it again. Odd how it decided it was a 100 Meg card.

New cable is strung up into the rafters until I can run it again. This is the closest cable run - thank goodness!

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Cheers! Thanks! Plenty of projects to finish incl. USSA-5, SBA MTM(+W?), Lightspeed + DCB1 preamp. First job will be putting in new power points at the bench.

Plenty of painting to be done here when you finish at yours. :up:

Hey sthcoaster! Congrats on the house!!! Looks like you will have a very nice work space. Now we all expect to see great things from you in about a year. :)

Here's something I never thought I'd type: This week I spent $170 on a phono cartridge. :eek:

About 5 years ago, one of my clients gave me a nice turntable (nicer than anything I've owned at least), a Sony PS-X70. At that time I hadn't had a vinyl player in my setup for 15 years at least.

The Sony only needed minor repairs, but it had no cartridge. All I had lying around at the time was a Shure M105E, which wasn't a fair trial - not the right fit for this table at all. I didn't really want to throw any money at this particular problem at the time, so I just played a few records, lost interest in the mediocre sound, and put it all back on the shelf.

Fast forward to 2021, and another round of Covid checks. :rolleyes: Most of mine will go to car repairs this time, but there's a little bit left! I've always been a bit miffed at myself for the way I half-assed the experiment the last time around, so with a bit of surplus cash, I found a more suitable cartridge (Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML), and will venture down the vinyl rabbit-hole one more time.

Last edited: