And what did we buy today?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Technically yesterday.. A pair of Radian 950 Neo PB/16 to replace my old pair of JBL 2440. Picture is from the Radian web site. I will not receive them for a few days yet.

Attachments

• Radian 950 Neo PB.png
    Radian 950 Neo PB.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 140
How bout termite tenting the whole house - 2650$ And finished today.

Spent 2 days in a tent in the front yard because of possible break ins.
Put my Skybell door camera on a stake in the back yard corner for additional info.
No issues

Could have built a preamp & amp but nooo sir , the bugs come first and they don’t even listen
to hifi !
Whats the world coming too !

Home ownership for ya

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
The chicken looks good. Fire agrees with you!

I tied to get the parts for mine. Out of stock. Never really liked it anyway (Broilking) so I got a Napolean. It was less money and works way better! The warranty service on the Broilking sucked, the unit sucked and I am glad it is gone. These are natural gas units that connect to the house supply.

-Chris

These: Debut 2.0 B6.2 – Elac

Let's see if they live up to the hype. If not? Return :)

I don't know where the "hype" comes from, in my experiences with those 6 inch woofer/tweeter/ported boxes they all seem pretty much the same.
Almost stamped out like "cookie cutter" style.
This I know by comparing several in the shop.

And they go in price from $39 to hundreds, yet to my ears, I cannot figure out why they are different or justifying such a wide price range, other than it's because of the name plate on them.

I've got a pair of boxes like those with "Musica6S" on them by MTX Audio, and they price them at $179/pair.
They certainly don't sound like $179 speakers, but more like Radio Shack $39.95 models.

In fact, I hated the sound of them, but they were free.
So I mod'ed the x-overs, replaced the tweeters and woofers with some "classic" drivers from Parts Express, and they became more tolerable, for test bench speakers that is.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had a pair of Klipsch 6.5" two ways on the bench. They were great for mids and highs, very musical and fun. As soon as I found a larger pair, the Klpsch THX 6000, the older ones were replaced and repacked. Again, extremely flat and easy to listen to, but with a little more bass. Better speakers, dual 6 1/2" woofers and a large tractrix horn. Very solid, heavy enclosure and a much better crossover.

Makes a big difference to listen to. Physics always rules what happens. Everything else held equal quality, a larger woofer makes all the difference in the world.

Hi Chris ++,

Does dual 6 1/2" woofers equal 13" woofer?
I have always been a fan of large 15" woofers running them up to 300-700Hz in a sealed box. Still have the first ones we bought at Fairview. I replaced the originals with some Marsland replacements and now the foam rubber surround are rotted out again, so I think I'll try a re-foam them this time.

Bought a transformer from Arrow, Triad toroid 100Vct/500VA, $103 CDN, free shipping. Wanting a 800VA from Parts express but shipping costs, duties, taxes killed that one. Cheaper to drive to Ohio and buy it there :)

TT service, that sounds like good ole mechanical fun :) I guess you are using synthetic lubes these days?

Last edited:
TT service, that sounds like good ole mechanical fun :) I guess you are using synthetic lubes these days?

Indeed yes, I use Super Lube w/PTFE-Teflon on turntables, tape decks, and anything with moving/sliding parts prone to binding. (including CD/VCR mechs)

Great for packing ball bearing races too.

Tearing down a Dual turntable/changer is a complex job, and has to function perfectly as intended, who wants to do that with any frequency? - once Super-Lubed, it'll never need to be done again.

Hi Chris ++,

Does dual 6 1/2" woofers equal 13" woofer?
I have always been a fan of large 15" woofers running them up to 300-700Hz in a sealed box. Still have the first ones we bought at Fairview. I replaced the originals with some Marsland replacements and now the foam rubber surround are rotted out again, so I think I'll try a re-foam them this time.

Bought a transformer from Arrow, Triad toroid 100Vct/500VA, $103 CDN, free shipping. Wanting a 800VA from Parts express but shipping costs, duties, taxes killed that one. Cheaper to drive to Ohio and buy it there :)

If talking about cone area, you must compare the squares of the cone diameters. You simply need 4 6,5 inch woofers "to make up" a 13 inch one.

The thing about using multiple smaller woofers is that their low-end ability and resonance is higher than a good old big honking woofer.
You still need a sub to fill in that bottom-end in order to "feel" the music.

Market trends/styling regarding those narrow towers is just that, and people buy into that stuff.

My windows "feel" the music every time a boom-boom car drives past the house - I'm sure they don't have a bunch of 6-inchers in that vehicle.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rick,
Yes, you were being silly. That's okay. Wouldn't it be nice if it were true? The pair of drivers are better, but what is the real gain here is the overall quality and box construction. I needed something that fits on the bench, and these were about the best I could get.

I still use oil based lubes on some metal parts, and just rebuilt a Dual not long ago. What a trip that was, and I have the Dual TT jig.

Try playing CDs, you don't have to flip them and you can get as much as 74 minutes on them. I'm not sure if the needle will track them though! :)

The thing about using multiple smaller woofers is that their low-end ability and resonance is higher than a good old big honking woofer.
You still need a sub to fill in that bottom-end in order to "feel" the music.

Market trends/styling regarding those narrow towers is just that, and people buy into that stuff.

My windows "feel" the music every time a boom-boom car drives past the house - I'm sure they don't have a bunch of 6-inchers in that vehicle.

I used to build my own subwoofers and I always preferred many small drivers. 6 6's or 4 8's usually. I also built a dual 10 inch box once - I cloned an MTX box from Best Buy.
Just went in with a tape measure and copied it.

Currently, my largest drivers are 7 inches and my main speakers are dual 6 1/2" (Energy RC-70).

The days of using big 15 inch Cerwins are over :) That, and a 35 m³ apartment doesn't need fifteens...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Certain vagueness? Over? Tell me it ain't so! :)

Depending on how high you are taking the woofers you may be forced to use several smaller drivers. For low frequency work, my best success has been with 10" drivers in combination, or single or dual 15" or 18" drivers of much higher quality that C-V drivers. The larger drivers must be rolled off lower of course! Every good system was an electronically crossed over with the amplifier directly driving the driver(s).

I found that 12" woofers were just an unhappy size. Too slow to cross over very high, and too close in price and box size to a 15" that out performed it. 8" drivers are also very good in groups.

-Chris