And what did we buy today?

I do love my postman, actually it's a she, and frankly quite good looking and a bit flirtatious :D, anyhow she brought gifts today as shown, also bought a new tablet galaxy tab s3, volume knob on my old is dead, and not worth fixing.
Mj15022/3 around 130 pieces and mj21193g, and not at least, two sticks of irfp240/9240.
All genuine old stock.
Oh such a perfect day:hphones:

Attachments

• 20201008_181128.jpg
    20201008_181128.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 189
Joined 2011
Paid Member
2 new 11 cu.ft. chest freezers. My old (probably 30-40 years) 21 cu.ft. freezer bit the dust. Everything (a couple hundred pounds of game meat and various other stuff) was defrosted but still very cold. Luckily, I had room in my spare all-fridge to pack it all in and keep it cold in the meantime.

The obvious question is why not buy a new 21 cu.ft. freezer? Well, there is a nation-wide shortage on freezers - you can probably guess why. My only option was to buy what they had. Cost-wise, it worked out about the same. I'll take a hit on efficiency but I think the old one was a power pig anyway. And now I have redundancy.

Off to the dump with the old one.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
User manual says 4 hours, so that's what I did. Maybe not necessary but I had the time.

User manual also says not to use an extension cord but I had no choice, so I bought a good quality 14 gauge "air conditioner" extension. The freezer only pulls 1.4 amps and the cord is rated for 15, so I'm not worried.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> User manual says 4 hours

I bought a water-heater at Depot, and the clerk came to my car to tell me to let it set in place for an hour before applying power.

Mind blown!!

Eventually I grokked he meant "heat pump" machines. I was buying the CHEAPEST which is just a resistor in a can, not a freon machine. I thanked him for the tip and drove off.

...The freezer only pulls 1.4 amps and the cord is rated for 15, so I'm not worried.

The only thing that seems to give me occasional grief with those big-*** (or any kind, really) extension cords is the receptacle ends - they can be pretty sketchy sometimes. For any critical job, I usually end up making my own out of parts I can see the insides of. (Silver-plated and cryo-treated, of course. :D ) But as long as the ends aren't heating up, you're fine.

My dad was an avid hunter. Traveled all over the country. He also had a small garden and a couple of pecan trees in his back yard. When he passed away last year (made it to 92!), we were cleaning out his ~15 cu. ft. freezer in the garage, and recovered dozens of packages of every kind of meat imaginable, neatly labeled and dating back to the year 2000. :eek:

The lower 1/4 or so was encased in some fairly solid ice, indicating at least one prolonged power failure in the interim. We liberated some pecans & strawberries & a few other items from the top layer and took a pass on the rest. :(

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...freezer ... extension cords ....cryo-treated, of course. :D ...

NO! Cryo ends on a freezer cord will instigate the return of the glaciers and the heat-death of the universe!!

OTOH, the start-surge of these machines is not likely to burn-up the conductors. It takes a dead-short or great patience to do that. The 44 Amp start of my well pump makes no appreciable heat in 20A conductors or switch.

...we were cleaning out his ~15 cu. ft. freezer in the garage, and recovered dozens of packages of every kind of meat imaginable, neatly labeled and dating back to the year 2000.
Ayeeeee... yeah. Probably a good call to heave the meat and "meat by-products". Had a similar experience cleaning out a freezer belonging to my wife's grandmother, who was also a hunter (huntress?). Killed her last deer at 87, died at 101.

Purchased a nonworking ladies' ca. 1910 Rode pocketwatch for $45 US as a winter project. Fifteen (15) jewel hunting movement with a gold case and a porcelain dial. I suspect the mainspring is shot, and I'll need to source a second hand (not too difficult), a crown (more difficult, may need to fabricate), and a chain loop (or whatever it's called).

More difficult to acquire is the skill needed to accomplish the above. This is a beginner's project to satisfy a lifelong interest in watchmaking. I have steady hands and most of the tools needed, but it'll take more than a little patience and luck for a successful outcome!

Attachments

• 20201011_105401-02.jpeg
    20201011_105401-02.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 20201011_105504-02.jpeg
    20201011_105504-02.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 239
Back after a two week trip to Montréal. I cam back with some records*, some sweets, and a new wardrobe.

* Didn't plan on buying ANY records... It all started with a 99 cent Artie Shaw LP. It progressed to some other used jazz, big band etc, and some new hip hop and alternative from the 90's-00's... I even got a copy of CCR Chronicle repress (Record Store Day?) for my dad for 50$(!!! WTF happened to prices?! He paid like 2$ for the 8-track when it came out) 200$ later I'm home.

Last edited:
Ayeeeee... yeah. Probably a good call to heave the meat and "meat by-products". Had a similar experience cleaning out a freezer belonging to my wife's grandmother, who was also a hunter (huntress?). Killed her last deer at 87, died at 101.

Purchased a nonworking ladies' ca. 1910 Rode pocketwatch for $45 US as a winter project. Fifteen (15) jewel hunting movement with a gold case and a porcelain dial. I suspect the mainspring is shot, and I'll need to source a second hand (not too difficult), a crown (more difficult, may need to fabricate), and a chain loop (or whatever it's called).

More difficult to acquire is the skill needed to accomplish the above. This is a beginner's project to satisfy a lifelong interest in watchmaking. I have steady hands and most of the tools needed, but it'll take more than a little patience and luck for a successful outcome!

Coincidentally, I just bought a job lot of watch parts, mostly cheap movements hands and gears, but for a different purpose

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The same reason I have a phone instead of a pair of cans and a string - it works better for me. :D

It's the same reason I run 4th gen NVM.e instead of 5400 RPM SMR disks... and a Ryzen 9 instead of a Celeron I guess.

At least it's not dial up LMAO

I mean you don't use 10/100mbps LAN because 1gbit is faster and cheap now, right? I used to pay 80$/month for the "One Meg Modem" 20 years ago - Then I moved. They didn't have cable in the building. Going from 50mbit cable to 1mbit DSL was terrible! I moved when the least was up.

I get planning ahead, but if I buy a game, I want to play it now, not tomorrow when the download finished - Gone are the days of encoding a CD to mp3 for 18 hours, too (Pentium 166).

This whole conversation got me thinking, so I looked into it a bit. I was curious what it would cost me to upgrade my internet service.

Well, long story short, some other providers can offer me much higher speeds for a tiny bit more money. I just might do it. My current provider has dropped the ball and has limited options that aren't appealing due to my specific needs - the most important of which is a static IP address.

So anyways, thanks for giving me the push. I don't "need" more speed, but if I can get triple the speed or more for a few bucks extra, then why not?