And what did we buy today?

Far faster is a stretch now... Even without wifi 6 I still manage 650Mbit/sec on my wifi. Not the 940Mbit/sec I get through a wire, but plenty fast... Agreed though on the less traffic the better and more secure though :) WPK2 has been cracked for a while (not that it's a quick process)...

That's awesome, soundbrigade! Always nice to meet new people.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hot tip for wi-fi optimization, for anyone who doesn't already know; make sure you are running your wi-fi on a channel that your closest neighbours aren't using - if you can.

You'll only need two things. 1) The ability to log into and manage your wi-fi router or hotspot(s) and 2) A nice little app for your phone called "wi-fi analyzer". Allows you to see signal quality and channel usage of nearby wi-fi networks. Then you just intelligently choose a channel with the weakest and/or fewest neighbouring wi-fi and configure your router/hotspots to use that channel. Doing this can make a big difference in your wi-fi speed and reliability. Combine this strategy with the one I mentioned earlier (moving capable devices to ethernet and thereby minimizing your own wi-fi devices) and your wi-fi may come to life in a way you thought not possible.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Indeed. In my neighbourhood there is still very little on 5Ghz around me. A big part of that is that 5Ghz range sucks compared to 2.4Ghz. It is fast when you are relatively close but tends to drop off way quicker than 2.4, in my experience. I can get my 2.4Ghz wi-fi quite easily in all parts of my (quite large) yard, but the 5Ghz is hit and miss, or just weak AF.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I didn't buy it, but I've just ordered twelve 5-piece place settings of Waterford "Olann" dinnerware. This is something I would have never purchased myself, but received as a gift from my employer for my 20th work anniversary. This set made the most sense to us (among many other gift options). We'll own them for the rest of our lives, I am sure.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Indeed it is. It also comes with a veggie serving bowl and a platter. Total value is close to $2600 CAD after tax.

Like I said, I never would have spent that kind of money on dishes. However, I will surely appreciate them and make use of them. One or both of my daughters will likely use them one day, too.

The same can't be said for the 75" TV or the Bose sound system, or many of the other options :)

We decided to take our Villeroy and Boch wedding china out of storage and use it as everyday dishes. The whole wedding china thing is kind of dated.

IMO, it's hard to justify having costly dishes taking up space if the aren't getting used.

Furthermore, I get less pleasure out of my meals if I'm concerned about scratching the plate I'm eating off of, and even less pleasure if I know that I have to hand-wash the china because it can't go in the dishwasher.

Of course, I also own a 6.5 digit DC-volt-ohm meter (it can't do AC volts or current measurements) in a 2U rackmount form factor, so maybe I'm being hypocritical.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
We gave away our Wedgwood bone china because it had metal decorations around the circumference, and was not microwave safe. Now we use a plain & functional pattern from Villeroy which they keep in stock at Bloomingales -- and IS microwaveable. Perfect.

_

Attachments

• gone.jpg
    gone.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 112