V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board

Toroidy actually make those with two 115V primaries as well, just ask or select the two primaries config. Wire in parallel and use in the US. Lots of guys out on head-case are using those with their headphone amps in the US.

Toroidy is located in Poland, EU.

Weird. I'm looking under "Power Transformers" and then through the various "Toroidal Transformers" sub-categories. Nothing I've found so far has an option for primaries - just secondaries. I guess I'll just email them.

I've built 3 different V3 Power Supplies with 300 VA, 400VA, and 500VA Antek transformers. All the other parts are common between the PSUs but I ordered whatever Antek was in stock at the time I built the PSU.

Now I am thinking about using two of the PSUs I have built to do a dual mono power supply for one of my First Watt amps. Will it matter that the transformers have different VA ratings? The easiest for me to build would pair the 300VA and 500 VA transformers so quite different.

I am a complete novice (so I assume there is a reason why I don't see people doing it) but I'm just going to throw this out there and hopefully learn something.
Why not add a DC-DC constant voltage widget like this:
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Adjustable-Step-Up-Constant-Converter/dp/B07T137H2Y
to the output of the diyAudio universal PSU board and then have the ability to easily adjust the rail voltage?
Inefficient? Or problematic?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Minarai That device will take the very well smoothed and conditioned DC from the universal PSU, turn it into (very ugly and noisy) AC to boost or buck the voltage, then re-rectify back into (still noisy) DC, and filter it a teeny bit so the most egregious and nasty bits are smoothed a little, but all the work the universal board did to make beautiful and clean DC with the huge capacitors and filter resistors is now gone.

Well, I was thinking of using this chassis and PSU with various amp boards. Specifically right now, F5 and Modulus-86. The former wants 23v and the latter 30v. Is there a singe voltage point that would work ok for either? Probably.

But I am just curious if there is a design flaw with using that type of DC-DC circuit here. I believe the Universal PSU board is not a CC power supply. Maybe that's important and adding this bit is a bad idea (I am already out of my depth).

Any feedback on the implication of this configuration would be educational for me.

If it does no harm, other than increase the power consumption a little bit, I would probably be tempted to try it, at least for the early days of comparing various amp builds with their ideal input voltage.

Consider me fully warned off.
I asked without knowing how these 'buck boosts' work, which might be a little rude of me but its really helpful to hear it straight from the experts. I'm reading a little about it now and I see how the PWM signal created by that circuit board is a huge step back from the nicely smoothed DC coming from the universal PSU board.
Thanks for the help,