ROAR with Helmholtz front resonator

View attachment 763483

The Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4 seems to be reasonable suitable for a small compact HROAR-8 design. I have not made any drawing yet. This is just a first feasibility test in Hornresp, and I have not optimized it much.
Small drivers tend to get more pronounced peaks in the response graph, but this is not something I worry much about. DSP is cheap and room acoustics is usually much worse.

Thanks, Circlomanen for simulating the driver. Very nice of you!

It's hard on what kind of driver to chose (especially on a tight budget)
Found this one which is kinda cheap but seems to perhaps fit for this kind of enclosure?
JBL Club 1024 10" component subwoofer with switchable 2- or 4-ohm impedance at Crutchfield.com

Or is there something else in 8"-10" range for approx. 1000 SEK (100 EUR) which would do?

(Its available at BRL as well but they don't provide as many parameters)

Alpine Type R are nice drivers, but much to weak for this kind of enclosure.

Aim for a Qts of 0,3 or less. Below 0,2 is even better. Bl is king! B&C 18IPAL, Ground Zero GZNW 38NEO-SPL and GAS COMP12D1 are very good drivers for high powered high order QW bandpass enclosures.

GAS Alpha10D2 is a nice and suitable budget oriented driver. B&C 12TBX100 would be a great 12 inch alternative for professional use.

The geometry of a simple to build HROAR tends to favor drivers with low Qts and Vas and high Mms in order to keep the pipe cross section reasonably small, or it will take valuable volume from the Helmholtz front chamber. Isobaric loading of two drivers can be advantageous to increase Bl and Mms, but the large protruding magnets tends to get in the way when trying to get a good layout and a rational build without to many special solutions.

hi Circlomanen, Moray James mentioned his K-t-line variant of the Karlson from about 15 years and I thought it might sim in the low end like your ROAR. Do you think a "ballpark" sim could be made of this style cabinet using hornresp and if so, how would you lay it out?

Q9Rcf8W.jpg

Alpine Type R are nice drivers, but much to weak for this kind of enclosure.

Aim for a Qts of 0,3 or less. Below 0,2 is even better. Bl is king! B&C 18IPAL, Ground Zero GZNW 38NEO-SPL and GAS COMP12D1 are very good drivers for high powered high order QW bandpass enclosures.

GAS Alpha10D2 is a nice and suitable budget oriented driver. B&C 12TBX100 would be a great 12 inch alternative for professional use.

The geometry of a simple to build HROAR tends to favor drivers with low Qts and Vas and high Mms in order to keep the pipe cross section reasonably small, or it will take valuable volume from the Helmholtz front chamber. Isobaric loading of two drivers can be advantageous to increase Bl and Mms, but the large protruding magnets tends to get in the way when trying to get a good layout and a rational build without to many special solutions.

I noticed the B&C 18IPAL but would the 21DS115-8 work well in your design? If it did how would I design it to fit into an enclosure no bigger than 188cm wide x 69cm tall x 69 cm deep?

Edit: I am speaking of your 8th order bandpass to be clear.

Last edited:
TH1-8BPHT.jpg

Here is the best I can squeeze into 69 x 69 x 188 cm.

A B&C 21DS115 is a bit to large to suit a 8th order QW-BP design within those limits.

The room gain profile of a concrete walled room will correct a lot of the falling response and it will probably play 16 Hz with furiosity if properly corner loaded.

Last edited:
TH1-8BPHT-layout.jpg

Here is the layout of the front resonator enhanced Tapped Pipe (8th order QW).

A very easy and straight forward build with only straight sections and 90 degree cuts.

I imagine the mouth venting out into a corner. With a 4,6 m/s air particle velocity at 130dB @ 18 Hz, port compression will be a non issue.

Last edited: