2 18 bass design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thawach , what is that animated gif file (ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting) supposed to be telling me?

"preferrably 30-35 for a good DJ bin"

My measurements have shown me the peak output in commercial recorded dance music is around 55hz, with less than 1% of popular dance music having any real energy below 40hz. Never the less, I haul around (big) cabinets that are -3dB at 29hz.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/CoePA-2009.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/Eminence151269.gif

Last edited:
djk i only try to simulation with the HR. my friends still never build now. when i saw the pics from n audio and technasound in thailand built it and sold many years ago. they told that it's very loud when outdoor .i thought that it's possible that i would do it with HR. here are the pics that they built and used the outdoor. djk if u have any advice please tell me.Technasound

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What is the spec for these boxes, same drivers?

The I wouldn't DJ comment was based on MY opinon that you need to get below 40, preferrably 30-35 for a good DJ bin. Although your proposed design will get stupid loud and have VERY punchy tight bass(good impulse response in HR) on a single 4KW amp @ 4 ohms.

I currently have a Soundbarrier pcs 4000 driving 4 18"s
5815_1213151094176_1390767964_30604512_7043629_n.jpg

If you build his original pencil sketch with my port dimension and 40hz filter it will be -3dB at 42hz (low E on a bass guitar), about 106dB/2.83V/1M in the 80hz region, and a small peak in the 150hz region (probably 3dB or so). 1200W will be under x-max on program material.

I think I will go with that.

Do you have a parametric EQ or HPF?

If you build his original pencil sketch with my port dimension and 40hz filter it will be -3dB at 42hz (low E on a bass guitar), about 106dB/2.83V/1M in the 80hz region, and a small peak in the 150hz region (probably 3dB or so). 1200W will be under x-max on program material.

It's not quite like you think, with mutual coupling the tuning is lower and driver excursion is at the limit. Running EQ @ 40 Hz would get him into trouble. The origional is at 40Hz and should be just fine.

What are the dimensions of your manifold and width of port?

Attachments

• dd.png
    dd.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 69
  • FR.png
    FR.png
    47 KB · Views: 59
  • FR2.png
    FR2.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 57
  • dd2.png
    dd2.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 50
this's the graph i simulated with HR . i see it and think that it will ok . -3
db about 50 hz for outdoor. if it goes deep to 30 hz i don't sure i'll hear the low freq when out door.

Until you learn to draw I think you will have difficulty with simulation due to lack of accurate information, I recommend you watch the Google SketchUp training videos to learn SketchUp. Also see http://forums.sketchucation.com/ forums.

I trust BassBox Pro v6.0 for sealed, reflex, and BP4 enclosures. I'm not sure about BP6, it's very different than v5.0

I'm estimating 150hz cavity resonance bassed on known speakers.

"Running EQ @ 40 Hz would get him into trouble. "

how much boost do you think a Q=1 is anyway? Boost at Fb does not eat up x-max at Fb.

"What are the dimensions of your manifold and width of port? "

Details are in the BB6 screen capture, showing Vb, Fb, Faux, port size, the whole ball of wax.

I trust BassBox Pro v6.0 for sealed, reflex, and BP4 enclosures. I'm not sure about BP6, it's very different than v5.0

I'm estimating 150hz cavity resonance bassed on known speakers.

"Running EQ @ 40 Hz would get him into trouble. "

how much boost do you think a Q=1 is anyway? Boost at Fb does not eat up x-max at Fb.

"What are the dimensions of your manifold and width of port? "

Details are in the BB6 screen capture, showing Vb, Fb, Faux, port size, the whole ball of wax.
Hey yea that's great I too have been using BB since it came on floppys. Obviously this is an HR model I'm working on here.

So the model indicates a lower tuning and you want to run a slight boost say ~1.25db, no big deal if He has the MIC2200 but He does not and ye old GEQ will be a little wider Q than optimun and touchy to boot. Ever ask anyone to boost just ~1dB with a GEQ - LOL right :D Besides the whole lower tuning just nets a loss above 40Hz anyhow so why bother?

I've had your box drawn up since yesterday and I see no manifold dimensions in your BB screen capture. The port width did reverse calc at 2.75" wide, but the pics look wider than that. Also the drivers in the pic are clearly not the Martin 1844's. Is this all made up? :D How about those manifold dimensions???:)

Also note since His manifold tapers to a point the peak won't be nearly as pronounced as yours.

Do you Sketchup? I'll send you the finished model if so.

Will I still need a hpf if I use a behringer 4-way crossover?

"The origional is at 40Hz and should be just fine."
Do u mean the sketch?
HPF=Crossover, so yes you can crossover at ~40Hz and be OK.

Yes the sketch. If you put all the cabinets together they will couple and the tuning shows it @40Hz, it should work very well.

"Also note since His manifold tapers to a point the peak won't be nearly as pronounced as yours."

Mine have no peak.

"I've had your box drawn up since yesterday and I see no manifold dimensions in your BB screen capture. The port width did reverse calc at 2.75" wide, but the pics look wider than that. Also the drivers in the pic are clearly not the Martin 1844's. Is this all made up? How about those manifold dimensions???"

I would have to take a tape measure to them to get all the dimensions, and they're buried in the truck and it's cold. The drivers in the photos are Eminence 15711 which were custom made for my company circa 1988, the Martinsound were just something inexpensive that jammed into my box design, worked, and were available for purchase for others (I don't have any of my drivers for sale anymore). The driver mounting slot is 7" wide, 22.5" tall, and I would have to measure the depth. I make ports with as much area as I can and still have the depth fit in the box and have the correct tuning, I can't remember the depth offhand. The port is huge, doesn't 'chuff', and has no power compression.

This guy should just be able to turn on a 40hz filter in his EQ, crossover, or (whatever) and add a touch of EQ if he wants to. I used to build my crossovers from scratch and the filters are built in. I have also changed filters in crossovers like the Rane AC23 or DBX models, it's easy if you know how. I have added the filter circut to amplifier inputs as well, again, it's easy if you know how.

"Also note since His manifold tapers to a point the peak won't be nearly as pronounced as yours."

Actually, it has been my experience that that style will be worse, but it can be equalized.

I was thinking about the box and I noticed the space was tight, too tight. So you will need to find some metal 5qt kitchen mixing bowls ~11-12" id for motor clearance. I also realised that the enclosure needs to have the rear chamber joined or the port tuning will be impossible to get right. Unfourtunately I will have to alter your design somewhat to make it work out. See what you can find for bowls and get me some measurements and pics. What is your time frame to have the boxes completed?

OOPS:headbash:

Bowls link

Well,the initial idea was to have the drivers rear loaded ,there should be enough space in the rear chamber to fit them.Don't know if these type of designs MUST work like yours .
If the chambers must be joined I'm thinking the size of the box will become larger?Unless the V is made smaller ,seems odd.
Would have like to have them juiced up by month's end but no big rush.Working on some power meanwhile.$$:(
Thanks a lot guys for your time and effort!

Last edited:
I was figuring a 3" space at the back, widening to 11" in front (like the original pencil sketch). The 3" was a guess, it may need to be changed.

One could also adopt the format of my PPSL and make the width of the slot the depth of the driver plus the thickness of the frame. Four PPSL 36x30x24 can be made out of six 4x8 sheets of plywood with minimum scrap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.