Hiraga "Le Monstre"

my La Monstre got new output transistors yesterday(2sc3284/2sa1303), I also reduced the collector resistors to 0.5R, I left the current the same around 1.3A, the supply voltage is +/- 19V.

sound? I was surprised, now it's even better than my JLH69, it got a kick in the lower frequencies, the middle and high are detailed, clear, the piano sounds like it's in my living room, just wonderful

Attachments

• la monstre 11.jpg
    la monstre 11.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 984
  • la monstre   19V.png
    la monstre 19V.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,058
my La Monstre got new output transistors yesterday(2sc3284/2sa1303), I also reduced the collector resistors to 0.5R, I left the current the same around 1.3A, the supply voltage is +/- 19V.

sound? I was surprised, now it's even better than my JLH69, it got a kick in the lower frequencies, the middle and high are detailed, clear, the piano sounds like it's in my living room, just wonderful

looks good.
which pcb did you use? have a pic?
i have +/- 22V PSU. will this fit for your LeMonstre version?

I made all the PCBs myself.
For voltage +/- 22V some resistor values should be corrected and it will work.
Here are a couple of pictures of the output signal on the scope at 8ohm load.

Attachments

• le monstre 4khz sq.jpg
    le monstre 4khz sq.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 231
  • le monstre 1khz sin fft.jpg
    le monstre 1khz sin fft.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 223
  • le monstre 2khz sq.jpg
    le monstre 2khz sq.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 222
  • le monstre 1khz sin.jpg
    le monstre 1khz sin.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 756
  • hi2.jpg
    hi2.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 791
  • hi.png
    hi.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 862
Le monstre transistors

Hello Monster friends.

After a long time i finally decided to start my Le monstre project amp.

The target is to use a battery PSU.

I'm sure to use the 2sk170 and 2Sj74 available from DiYaudio Store matched already.

Regardin the output transistors i would like to use the 2sc2836/2sa1186.

What do you suggest me for all the rest.?

I found the original transistors but i do not know the brand. (2sc1775..2SA872...2SB716 and 2SD756) .

Better to go for the BC 560/BC 550 instead?

Do you have any other to suggest?

Is it mandatory to match those transistors as well?

Thanks in advance.

Maurizio

hi, i can not see 2sc3324 and its complementary on your board? and even not on on your pcb layout?

Last edited:
PCB layout

Hi All,

I am currently designing a PCB for a mosfet based LeMonstre amp with a topology similar to this:

hir20a.gif

I'm trying to decide what ground to attach the zeners, 22uF and 0.1uF capacitors used to supply the input BJTs. Traditionally any kind of decoupling capacitors should go to the dirty ground, but in this case any voltage variations on the ground have the potential to be injected into the input.

So.... I am wondering if these should be connected to the signal ground in this case, or perhaps even have their own ground which then connects to the clean and dirty ground at the star point on the PCB - this is what I am currently going with.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Greg

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just added 240kuf and it is no longer light in the bass. Caps from a Krell KMA200. I do have some space issues.....

Hello,
I agree it looks crazy.
Using 75 volt dc caps for a 15/20 volt power supply.
The wiring to these big caps is rather long.
When you would have read the original Hiraga publications you would have known that especially with big caps it does matter where the wire is connected. In this situation the wires should be connected to the capacitor in the center.
Same with the big '' earth plane ''
And It seems with this way of connection the recharging and decharging of the caps is passing through te same wire.
Maybe add a nice high current choke ( LL2733/LL2771) A friend just did in his 20 watt Hiraga . Just adding caps will also put stress on transformer and rectifier. Better use a CRC or CLC like the French already did in the eighties.
Greetings, Eduard