Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp

Anand,
I would just at least a 100V mosfet, and I did not mention earlier but I found that the best devices are Polar, rather than Trench mosfets.
I'm surprised mosfets are getting hard to get; I favoured FQA40N25 and FQA36P15, both rated to 280W from Fairchild in the past.
I tried some other Trench mosfets and found they do not like linear operation; they are designed for on or off, nothing in between.

HD

Reactions: 1 users
I have started on my Nirvana build. Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the folks who have assisted me so far in selecting parts.
I am over the moon to be building a Hugh Dean Class A design! I've been through this entire thread 5-6 times now.

My long lead item right now is the transformers from Toroidy. I should have ordered them sooner. My Nirvana boards are about 90% stuffed, as are my Smooth Like Butta' power supply boards.

Again, thanks to all who have provided information, whether directly or in this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Antek Transformer is very common in the States and can be received within days of placing an order. But, no custom winding options like Toroidy. Having used several types of both brands I’d give the edge to Toroidy for manufacturing quality.

That's sad to hear, Vunce. Here in Oz we have (for toroids):
* Tortech
* and Harbuch.

Both make custom (as well as standard) power toroids and are high quality.

And we have a lot of others who make EI transformers.

Antek was definitely an option, but I had used them on the 2 previous amps I built. They are inexpensive and Antek has great customer service.
After seeing the Toroidy in Anand's build and hearing his opinion, I wanted to give Toroidy a try. Much more expensive, hopefully worth it.

I am a few years late to the Nirvana party but hoping to catch up!