Apex A40 Amplifier Build Thread

APEX A40 BOM

This is a dedicated thread to the Apex A40 Amplifier. Feel free to share your build and discuss and share information about the A40.
I will do my best to keep this 1st post updated with as much information as possible. I am still building this out, please be patient. If there are any errors please let me know! :)

The Project
The Apex A40 Amplifier was designed by Apex Audio and kindly shared to DiyAudio community. He has continually shared various designs, revisions and countless feedback over many years. All of his designs are popular and well endorsed by many experienced members in the DIYA Community. The original thread can be found here - 100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier - diyAudio

Schematic

Apex A40 Files
Gerbers, Mirrored PCB images, Photos, Schematic and Partial .txt BOM can be gound here - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/338942-apex-a40-amplifier-build-thread.html#post5817489

View attachment 761722

Bill of materials
Anyone with an up to date BOM for Digikey please contact me

Transistor Choices
2SA1943 – Toshiba, On Semiconductor - Transistors - Bipolar (BJT) - Single | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey
2SC5200 – Toshiba, On Semiconductor - Transistors - Bipolar (BJT) - Single | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey
MJL4281 - On Semiconductor - Transistors - Bipolar (BJT) - Single | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey
MJL4302 - On Semiconductor - Transistors - Bipolar (BJT) - Single | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey
NJW0281GOS-ND - On Semiconductor - https://www.digikey.in/products/en?keywords=NJW0281
NJW0302GOS-ND - On Semiconductor - https://www.digikey.in/products/en?keywords=NJW0302

Are my transistors a fake/copy thread - My Transistors, original or copy?

Power supplies

Construction tips
Please contact me with any tips you have to share.

Project modifications
Know of any proven mods? Please share them!

Recommended DIY Pre Amp
Apex P30

A40 Members and build photos
Please Share your builds!

JUST WAITING ON MODERATOR APPROVAL FOR UPLOADING MORE FILES TO THIS THREAD/POST.

Cheers!

Sorry, I'm looking for A40 BOM, but not found it...
It's possible to provide me it?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I will not, provide, gerbers for A40, because others, make, money, sealing boards copying my work .:mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot - 14-Oct-2020 , 7_46_58 PM.jpg
    Screenshot - 14-Oct-2020 , 7_46_58 PM.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 949
  • Screenshot - 14-Oct-2020 , 7_58_41 PM.jpg
    Screenshot - 14-Oct-2020 , 7_58_41 PM.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 956
APEX A40 FILES
Includes - Gerbers, Mirror PDF, Schematic, Top view.

APEX PROTECT FILES
Includes - Silkscreen, Mirror PDF, Sprint File.

In post #2 there are gerber files for v1.4 Is that what we should order to build the AX40? I ask because I am confused by the additional versions (but no gerbers) in the following posts.

Also the gerbers (see the attached gerber viewer screen shot) seem to only show one copper arc on the top side. But that copper arc intersects four vias including two small ones that I have circled in blue.

Is this supposed to be a single copper layer board? I don't even see copper capture pads on the top copper layer.

I am worried that there is something wrong with the top copper gerber file. (No capture pads and the one copper arc which looks like it would short to two small vias.)

I tried checking with three different gerber viewers.

Attachments

• AX40 Gerbers Top Copper Only One Arc Touching Four Vias.png
    AX40 Gerbers Top Copper Only One Arc Touching Four Vias.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 719
Unfortunately I did not get any replies so I went ahead and ordered the PCB attached in this thread but it looks like there is a problem.

I have attached pictures of shorts on the front side.

I assume I should dremel away the top copper trace. (The gerber files in this thread have a top copper layer with one copper arc.) It looks like the amplifier will badly malfunction with the shorts to the trimmer and resistor.

Perhaps this post can serve as a warning to others regarding the gerbers in this thread. I hope that the amplifier works when assembled with these PCB after the dremel fix. The parts are fairly expensive for two of these boards so I hope the gerbers attached to this thread are good...

Attachments

• Photo of A40 PCB Zoom.jpg
    Photo of A40 PCB Zoom.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 691
  • Photo of A40 PCB.jpg
    Photo of A40 PCB.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 652
  • A40 Gerbers Top Copper Only One Arc Touching Four Vias.png
    A40 Gerbers Top Copper Only One Arc Touching Four Vias.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 404
Sorry missed that. You will need to cut the traces, or search on YouTube for APEX A40 long technical and download/use those files. Or take your files and correct gerbers in PCB software.

I have designed UcD Class D PCB, but what I dont understand

Apes A40 is simple v/s Class D 300 khz PCB design

1. why not make double side PCB ?

2. Why not fix error in latest pcb design ?

.....and share gerber for all

when coming from ClassD community

its easy and simple for me to design double side A40 PCB with SMD Parts and share Gerber for free for all

Who is interested ?

what is latest schematic ?

Waiting for feedback

Last edited:
I was debating leaving it out before ordering it but I did not get any replies and I thought that surely someone else had ordered and built the boards.

I also debated ordering it as a 1 layer board but then there was silk screen on both layers so I wasn't sure in the end what to do.

A new top copper layer with capture pads and a rerouted jumper would be nice...