Vmos Super CFA OIAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is my newest design, mosfet CFA, unusually compensated - output inclusive alexander compensation. The result is superb, very low thd, high SR, good PSRR. I would like to know your opinion, what to improve and so. thx

The PCB is nearly finished, dimension 10x10cm, the PSU is on separate board, also 10x10cm.

K61-sch.png

K61-LG.png

K61-sqr.png

View attachment K61-VMOS-OIAC.asc

Hi LKA

That looks very good!

A suggestion. An input ground break 10 ohms is helpful.
BTW John Broskie discusses it here Line Stages and Kicking Butt His relevant circuit is attached. A "House-Gnd" breaker is also helpful. It's mentioned further down in the article.

Are R14,R16 supposed to be a trimpot for offset trim?

What does the clip overload recovery look like? Eg 20kHz sine input.

Attachments

• Input-Ground-Breaker.png
    Input-Ground-Breaker.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,135
Excuse my ignorance but how the LEDs D5, D6 will contribute to the whole schematic's performance? And the same question for C1, C5?
Beside that I suppose that schematic's PSRR will be pathetic. I'm stressing on this because according to my small experience this is one of the most important factors defining the good or bad sound of the CFAs.
The output stage is not significant since anyone can design something similar with BJTs, LAT-MOS, VD-MOS etc...

Hi LKA

That looks very good!

A suggestion. An input ground break 10 ohms is helpful.
BTW John Broskie discusses it here Line Stages and Kicking Butt His relevant circuit is attached. A "House-Gnd" breaker is also helpful. It's mentioned further down in the article.

Are R14,R16 supposed to be a trimpot for offset trim?

What does the clip overload recovery look like? Eg 20kHz sine input.

All my amps use dual-mono concept. In that case it is better to ignore the 10R resistor and connect the cold terminal of the input RCA to the chassis with parallel combination of resistor and cap.

yes, R14,16 - trimpot for offset trim

Well, 20k clipping is not the best, I can improve it but I'm not sure it worth the effort. (1k clipping is clear)

K61-sin20k-clipping.png

Excuse my ignorance but how the LEDs D5, D6 will contribute to the whole schematic's performance? And the same question for C1, C5?
Beside that I suppose that schematic's PSRR will be pathetic. I'm stressing on this because according to my small experience this is one of the most important factors defining the good or bad sound of the CFAs.
The output stage is not significant since anyone can design something similar with BJTs, LAT-MOS, VD-MOS etc...

D5,D6 - VAS current limiters

C1 and C5 increase VAS amplification starting at about 1kHz. 100R degeneration resistor alone does not allow loop gain that can be shaped what you see in the first post.

attached pictures
1. no compensatiom at all
2. C1,C5 in place, no other comp

K61-lg-no-comp.png

K61-lg-vas-degen-comp.png

I simulated it and my distortion result differs from yours. I used your Ltspice file and just changed 10V zeners as I don't have those you used.
THD results at 100W/4ohm
THD1k=0.0047%
THD20k=0.0021%
Strange thing is so high distortion at 1kHz.

I simulated this amp with better IRF mosfets models, and here is result:
THD1k=0.0036%
THD20k=0.0026%

I noticed some error in your file, in the Thian probe the current source is up side down.

Some comments:

In my opinion diodes D5 and D6 not needed, and they increase distortion.
I am not sure D3 and D4 will protect output mosfet in case of high transient impuls at the input. As those diodes are revers polarized in normal operation the diode capacitance ih highly non linear, so higher distortion.

Damir

Attachments

• K61-VMOS-OIAC-dado.asc
    17.2 KB · Views: 120
I simulated it and my distortion result differs from yours. I used your Ltspice file and just changed 10V zeners as I don't have those you used.
THD results at 100W/4ohm
THD1k=0.0047%
THD20k=0.0021%
Strange thing is so high distortion at 1kHz.

I simulated this amp with better IRF mosfets models, and here is result:
THD1k=0.0036%
THD20k=0.0026%

I noticed some error in your file, in the Thian probe the current source is up side down.

Some comments:

In my opinion diodes D5 and D6 not needed, and they increase distortion.
I am not sure D3 and D4 will protect output mosfet in case of high transient impuls at the input. As those diodes are revers polarized in normal operation the diode capacitance ih highly non linear, so higher distortion.

Damir

You're right, thd1k is strange. Some days ago I've changed driver transistor to MJE, I used 2SC4793/2SA1837 before. Let's try this file - K61.asc

D5,D6 - When output is shorted, D3,D4 become forward biased and draw excess current from VAS.

View attachment K61.asc

You're right, thd1k is strange. Some days ago I've changed driver transistor to MJE, I used 2SC4793/2SA1837 before. Let's try this file - K61.asc

D5,D6 - When output is shorted, D3,D4 become forward biased and draw excess current from VAS.

View attachment 700617

In my CFA I used 2sc3503/2sa1381 as a drivers. Could be that MJE 15034/35 have to high Cob, datasheet does not show it.

the prototype was born, works as expected (very close to simulation)

Rated Power: 150-200W/4R
Input Impedance: 10kOhm
Sensitivity: 1Vp/100W/4R
Noise: -94dBV,ref 1Vrms,bw20kHz (input shorted)
Slew Rate: 200V/us
THD sin1kHz: <0.001% 1-100W/4R5
THD sin20kHz: <0.002% 1-100W/4R5 (measured before output coil)

Attachments

• K61-finished-1a.jpg
    K61-finished-1a.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 829
  • K61-finished-2a.jpg
    K61-finished-2a.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 814
  • K61-finished-3a.jpg
    K61-finished-3a.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 816
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.