USSA-5 Build with Review

For some odd reason, many time when professionally measured, they don't find any difference between caps, or just barely. I don't know if we perceive something that is just not measured in their tests or if most of it takes place in our imaginary but I'm pretty sure I can hear a difference. I must also admit that a nice capacitor always looks good in a build! Hehe :D

Do

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Without pulling them out (currently packing to move house again) I believe I have the FD2 type.

My other choice from those on hand is a Mundorf Supreme something with a diameter of about 50mm and very thick leads << could give it a try but depending on the final casework might not have sufficient room for the overhang! However, mechanically I have not been good with oversize caps as you have to be careful that their weight doesn't break traces or pads if they twist/bend the wrong way if you handle the board.

I'm sure my ears will be happy with the ECW - and I've always loved the look of dipped caps (tropical fish etc.) as they look like sweeties.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Greg:

Although not in the build instructions, it looks like you have coupled transistors Q1/Q2 and Q3/Q4 in your build with heat shrink and something white (thermal grease maybe)? Is this just good practice or something that could impact performance?

Steve
The build instructions were done before pcb version 0.4 where the later have complementary transistors close enough to be thermally coupled. I have not tested it but theoretically it is a good thing (dc offset stability) and it should be a marginal improvement in numbers. However I am not sure it can be heard... :rolleyes:
I have only heard version 0.1 of pcb. However, even version 0.1 can have Q1/Q2 thermally coupled with thermal grease and kept together with heat shrink. The distance between the 2 transistors allows to slightly bend the lead of them ...see picture of an USSA-3 board using USSA-5 pcb. Indeed it is good practice in general.
Fab

Attachments

• IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Thermistor Alternative

While shopping for USSA-5 parts, I came across this Vishay thermistor which is designed to be screw mounted. Yes, a little more cash than what is on the parts list, but I like the fact it mounts with a controlled amount of load.

Steve

Attachments

• thermistor.png
    thermistor.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 620

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Each thermistor type has their specific temperature profile. You need to compare both profiles and adjust series resistor accordingly to obtain equivalent parallel resistors which bias the driver transistors.
There is no real advantage to have it in contact with heatsink for the purpose. Nelson Pass has it further away from heatsink or transistor than I do in its F5 amp design.

Fab

Last edited:
Yes, temperature profiles (Resistance vs Temp) need to be the same. Here is a plot (normalized temp coefficient vs temperature) along with raw data for the two different NTC thermistors. As you can see, they are virtually identical. No resistor change is required.

Attachments

• Doc1.jpg
    Doc1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 581

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, temperature profiles (Resistance vs Temp) need to be the same. Here is a plot (normalized temp coefficient vs temperature) along with raw data for the two different NTC thermistors. As you can see, they are virtually identical. No resistor change is required.
It appears you have made your homework;)
Just ensure to have very short leads on the thermistors to avoid picking up noise.
But again not mandatory to have thermal contact for the thermistors. Thermal contact will increase thermistors temperature that is all.
Fab