Transmission Line Modelling Software

I am a little late to the party, sorry...
Thanks to Peter for providing the software in the first place, and 3ll3d00d to make it available now that leonardaudio's website is gone.

I'm trying to grasp how it works, so I made what I think is a copy of the TABAQ. I've seen the simulation from Bjorn, and built 2 pairs as well.

I split the first element into 2 parts so I could add different stuffing density, dense on top, nothing for the last 1/3 of the line. I then split the 2nd element and added a branch to it, which is I believe how to add a port. I put that on the bottom.

Here's what I get, and I'm not sure what to make of this. It follows the general cutoff frequency as in Bjorn's simulation, but here, I have this big initial first hump.

Anything I should've done differently?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    443.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.36.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.36.43 PM.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,102
I guess my stuffing was too light.

So, the TABAQs were designed for about 70g of stuffing in the top part to just under the driver.

I figured about 40cm from top to a little under the driver. By 12.8cm deep and 10cm wide, that's 5120cm3.

70g/5120cm3 is about 0.014g/cm3.

If I change the first element's stuffing to 0.014g/cm3, this is what I get:

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    534.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Thanks all and zman for the test sim.

First, I now realized that even though I keyed in W3-315SC in Google, I got the specs for W3-315E instead. I replaced the specs for the right ones, and changed the stuffing to 0.2lb/ft3.

I got the same looking sim as yours. So, that's cool.

But... Bjorn said the stuffing should be 70 to 100g per TABAQ, so that comes up to 0.154 lb. or a stuffing density of 0.85lb/ft3.

Putting 0.85lb/ft3 makes for a way too much damped response looking like my previous example.

Now, I know the TABAQ works well with 70g stuffing, but according to this TL software, I shouldn't get the response down low I actually have.

So, where and how to overcome this discrepancy?

And btw, thanks for the help! :)

I concur.

I think I got a handle on it pretty fast, and everything is laid out very nicely. Kudos to the programmer.

The graphical handling of the line is also very cool.

True, if the stuffing could be closer to reality, this could be a sweet piece of software.

It's already pretty good, as one can get a clue of the end result. Adding the "real-world" stuffing into the equation would be the golden ticket! :)

I also hope that one day, this could be finished.

Hey guys,

A bit of an update on this. I basically lost any free time I had to be able to develop this any further. I left it on the hosted website as long as I could but I decided not to renew the hosting subscription.

Don't worry about distributing it if you have the setup files. That's fine by me.

I'm keen to help it be available, so I'll have a look and see if I can find an alternative way to get it available again online.

Sorry for the lack of warning about it getting pulled from the internet...

Hi, perhaps you could consider hosting your program on Github, that way needed consolidation of feedback is better managed, and perhaps there are other skilled programmers who could assist you in the development, I believe this would benefit all parties better.

Hi,
I have started to use the software - and it is very good. I do have some questions.

1. On this thread, the driver seems to be placed on the middle of the first section. Why is that ?

2. I plan to use an enclosure where the bass driver is at the top of the cabinet, and the transmission line goes down the back and has two folds before ported at the front bottom. I have therefore placed my driver centre at the top of the first section as per default setting. Is this correct ? (what has confused me is the pictures where the driver is in the middle of the first section)

3. For each fold, i have added another section - so three (3) sections in total - is this the best approach ?

4. I may have this wrong, but what seems to be important for the transmission line is just the cross sectional area settings at the top right hand side of the enclosure window. I am assuming that the DEPTH variable is not used (middle section right hand side) in calculating the response, as all that is required is to implement the calculation is the cross sectional area of the line ???

The depth variable is a bit confusing for me - i am assuming that it is used for the other enclosure types, and for the transmission line, all we need to use if the cross sectional areas and the length variables in the top right hand pane.

Thanks and regards,
Shadders.