Caveman Speakers. The Troglodytes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Speakers so easy - even a caveman could build them!

Prehistoric sounds. Flint knives and bearskins - almost. Here is pair of speakers I made this afternoon to go in my cave.
My man cave is a real cave. This is good, as my DNA is at least 3% Neanderthal.
the_trogs2.jpg

See, a real cave right behind my house. Private entrance and all.

Just scrap plywood left over from house construction, 2 pair of drivers some bit and pieces. Even the wire was scrap. Caveman style.

Ugg. Primitive crossovers. Me like

Trog_left.jpg

True cave music. Based on these: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-46.html#post2752617

Reactions: 1 user
Nice man cave. Glad I'm not its keeper, there would be severed component leads, stray resistors, solder splatters, boards everywhere waiting for casework, aluminum shavings, associated hardware, and strewn tools, etc. Yup, I'm better off in the basement. Nice Man Cave, tho!.:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks guys, it's a lot of fun. :D

The cave is very difficult to take pictures of, those are by far the best I've ever gotten. From the entrance the cave does down hill, as does the land above it. There are two chambers, the speakers are at a narrowing between the two. The main chamber is about 22' wide by 50' long. Height varies from maybe 9' in the center to about 3' along the edges. It's a lava tube, for those of you who know what that is. The back chamber is approx 30' long and the same as the main chamber. It's deep, maybe 15' in the center. The bright, slightly cool color section you see between the speaker is the roof of the back chamber, lit by a florescent light.

Yes djn, it's big enough for a good party, there have been a couple already.

How are the acoustics? They are NOT what I would call "cavernous". In fact there is little to no reverb, no echo at all. Very dry. Of course there is not a parallel surface in the whole place, it's all rough and jagged, so not much reflecting in there. I'll have to measure to know for sure, but by ear it's damn near ideal. And of course it's as quiet as a tomb.

I sit about 20 feet from the speakers, with another 30 or so feet behind me. Behind the speakers is the lower chamber of about 30'. The wall behind the speakers is not close. It's rather amazing what this does. First, there seems to be no interference from the room at all, which is unusual. Second, the lower chamber give a good sense of depth on many recordings. Pop music seems to stay between or right at the speakers, with little depth. But classical and opera? Wow. Amazing! The sound comes not from the speakers at all, but from 20-30 feet behind them, in the lower chamber. Very spectacular.

The variation in depth is a big surprise. I expected good depth, but a lot of recordings just don't have it. All orchestral recordings I played DO have massive depth. Even some old monophonic ones that I never found to be very good - sound superb. They just go back into the space behind the speakers and fill it. It's a little too far on some recordings, like sitting in the upper balcony. And as it's so silent in there, all fades and low level info is crystal clear.

The caveman crossover is not ideal, it was meant for free standing OB's about 16" wide. Not for 17-23" tapered baffles stuck in the corners of a cave. There is TOO much bass. Need to fix that and do some general EQ to fit how the baffles couple to the walls. Getting that cleaned up will certainly make the sound clearer and should give spectacular results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.