Caveman Speakers. The Troglodytes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am obviously fascinated with the sense of depth I'm getting with the speakers and cave acoustics. I don't think I've ever heard a system with this much depth, and this recording dependent. I've heard wider, taller (once) but never as deep.

The depth depends entirely on the recording, and tonight I remembered that I have the good old Denon anechoic CD. That should be interesting! No acoustics on the recording, so it should sound flat as a pancake, right? Nope. Much to my surprise there was very clearly depth to the recording. The orchestra was located 10-25 feet behind the speakers. Surprise! And there was depth within the orchestra. Different depths for different sections and instruments. Often it sounded backward with the strings behind the winds. Still an odd sounding recording, but with real depth.

This raises a serious question. Where does the depth come from? I can hear it even in mono symphony recordings. What are the cues? How do I hear depth in a mono or anechoic recording? What is telling my brain "Deep"? Or conversely "Flat'?

So many questions. :xeye:

Fascination!

So, what's the present status?

A few thoughts...

...it's nearly impossible to tell the overall shape of the cave, maybe a cross sectional sketch (aka "plan view") might help.

... generally speaking large spaces, larger than the typical room, even bigger than in larger houses, ones being on par with a very large garage (no ceiling/joists) or a small to medium size barn exhibit entirely different effects WRT spatial presentation. It's a different ballgame once the first reflections are delayed sufficiently. Read as: GOOD!!

The rock surface is of course essentially infinite mass and faceted, making an idea diffuse surface.

I'd say that if I were you, I'd be messing with horns in that space. At least from somewhere in the lowest mids or upper bass on up... that and floor to "ceiling" line arrays!! You want to get transported to another zone? That's what I'd want.

What's the temp in there??

Where's the entrance, outside, or from the basement?? (from the basement would be SO COOL!

HOLY CHEET BATMAN!!!

_-_-

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Glad you like it, so did I. :D Alas I now live 5000 miles away from it.
It is the most fascinating listening room I've ever been in, and it was mine, all mine. It was also one of the least comfortable listening rooms I've been in, being dark, damp and dirty. I did massive amounts of work shifting rock in there, but never had enough time to make it really comfy.

The cave is beside and behind the house, the access is thru a sunken garden by the waterfall. Very private. Temp in the cave is typical for Hawaii at that elevation, about 80F year round. Stupid humid and wet in the summer, tho.

The shape of the cave is hard to understand, it varies so much. Basically it is a gently descending tube about 22' wide and varying in height from maybe 9 feet to just a few feet at the edges. 75' from front to back. I did finally shoot some video right before I moved out, and after the speakers were packed up. I'll try to cut that together and post a link tomorrow. The video makes it a little easier to understand.

can't remember, but must have been very good. I came for the dripstones. they offered a free concert about a week ago in Aggtelek, but I was in Budapest for Tosca a day before and was tired. (I saw Tosca 4 times in the past 2 weeks.) I should have gone.

I saw another dripstone cave (Imre Vass Cave) 2 weeks ago nearby Jósvafő. it was fantastic because of the clean dripstones. (no torch-damage.)

will visit Rákóczi Cave near Bódvaszilas soon.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.