Caveman Speakers. The Troglodytes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did some crossover tweaking last night. Dropped down to 4mH on the woofer. Removed the resister on the tweeter/mid. Much better suited for the corner placement. About as good as I can do with the parts on hand.

The left woofer seems ideal. Basically flat to the low 30s then a clean roll off. Cant ask for better out of this driver. The right side is not so flat or so deep. Gotta figure out why.

Will do overall EQ in the player - JRiver

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did some more tweaking and listening last night. Also moved rocks and gravel around to give myself a nice flat floor in the center. Figured out I am siting 24ft from the speakers and 23ft from the back wall (~640cm). It doesn't look that way, but that's probably due to the shape and slope of the cave. Still guessing about 30ft behind the speakers in the lower chamber.

The acoustics continue to amaze me. It's a bit like an anechoic chamber, but via diffusion rather than absorption. Very clean and clear, no real problems that I can hear. And the sense of depth is often giggle inducing. Although close mic'd recordings stay at or in between the speakers with just a little depth, recordings with real reverb go waayyy back.

Orchestral recordings all come from the back chamber, whereas mixed things like Sinatra with orchestra or Belafonte at Carnegie Hall sound both near and far. Frank will be right between the speakers, with the orchestra coming from 20-30 feet back. On the last cut of Belafonte at Carnegie Hall, where is does his popular call and response (Matilda) with the orchestra then with the audience, the depth varies. Harry is on stage, the orchestra a little behind him, the audience further out. When he calls out to those in the far balcony, the distance is palpable. "There is quite a lag, isn't there?" he says. You can hear the lag on the recording, but in the cave you truly feel it. The kids singing way up in the cheap seats sound sooo far away. It's a lot of fun.

And the good acoustics have a nice side effect. No fatigue and I find myself singing all the songs thru the next day. Enjoyable. :D

Wondering if your listening position is mimicking the mic positions on the classical recordings…my shop is 54' deep and when I stand half way back something coheres or resolves in a way that is headphone-like but better. Caveman Classical! Mixed material always sounds mixed for me. Phoned in.
Having the three rollup doors open is a plus btw

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds like you have some nice compensation for leaving the Altecs behind. They wouldn't have fit, anyway!
Yes, very sad to leave the Altecs behind they had been my dream speaker for 30 years. The cave acoustics do almost make up for it tho. :up: I do keep thinking "I wonder how the Altecs would sound in here. You're right, it would be hard to fit them in, tho I'd try hard.

Wondering if your listening position is mimicking the mic positions on the classical recordings…my shop is 54' deep and when I stand half way back something coheres or resolves in a way that is headphone-like but better.
Interesting. I don't know. Sure is working for me. It is headphone like, but better. I'm sure the 30' behind the speakers is a big help. And I do know the effect of opening the garage door, it can help in a big way.

Sure is fun to have a cave. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back in the Caverna Magica

We had a LOT of water this summer and the cave became much too wet to use.
It's finally dried out enough to put the speakers and electronics back in. Same old goofy stuff as before. Need to work on my crossovers. At the moment it's just a cap on the tweeter and a coil on the woofer, and that's not working right.

And although the cave itself is very humid, the sound is very dry. RT60 is about 130mS across the whole spectrum. That's very short for a room this size. It's approximately 70'x22'x8' divided into two chambers. As you can see, there are some flat surfaces, but no parallel surfaces. The rough, chaotic nature of the walls does a great job breaking up the sound. Although it's all hard surfaces, the reflections are highly uncorrelated. Makes for interesting acoustics. Quiet down there, too.

Can't see the speakers in this photo, they are on the half wall beyond me, where my shadow falls.

Attachments

• Caveman.jpg
    Caveman.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 376
I get over to Maui often.
And hopefully you will again in January. Looking forward to it. There's lots to do but let's see if we can't just let our hair down a little. Are you planning to bring the missus? Hanah says you need someone to watch over you. She can't believe how much damage a guy can do in so little time. :) We also want a trip to the big island to see Michaels cave, but that will have to be later.
Gotta fit in a trip to Vancouver Island/Surrey also.
You bet. Let's plan that for good weather time so we can pretend we're tourists. And yes, you'll want the missus too. I'm sure you still have some trouble left in you. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.