Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Soft Start Circuit Help
Soft Start Circuit Help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2021, 04:50 AM   #1
kptseng is offline kptseng  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Soft Start Circuit Help

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to put in a soft start circuit for the class A/B amp I am building now, which has 2 x 350va toroidal transformers and total 80,000uF of smoothing capacitance (20,000uF for each power rail).

I want to go on the safe side and the one by Ron Elliott seems to be a decent and simple enough one to build. (see figure 5 on Soft-Start Circuits)

Ron's notes suggest that the soft start time is 100ms, but I am thinking of increasing that to 500ms to 1sec, but I am not sure which component / value to change to enable a longer soft start time.

Can someone help me with some advice?

Many thanks and have a safe weekend.

Last edited by kptseng; 20th June 2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 20th June 2021, 06:33 AM   #2
bansuri is offline bansuri  Italy
diyAudio Member

You have to increase the power rating of the resistors by factor 3-5 for such a long time,

There is also no advantage, using more than 200ms, the caps are already sufficiently charged.
Actually all calculations are on that page
Old 20th June 2021, 12:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Bansuri,
I've done some reading and yes you are right.
I'll still to what's stated in the document. Many thanks.
Do you know how should I connect the ground of the soft start circuit?
Those encapsulated auxiliary transformer has just L and N, with no ground nor 0v. Should the ground of the circuit be connected to the chassis ground?
Old 20th June 2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Soft Start Circuit Help
It should connect to mains ground. If your chassis is mains grounded then it can connect there provided the connection is suitably rated to withstand a fault current and blow the mains fuse.

It is all safety related in the event of fault scenarios.
Old 20th June 2021, 01:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly,
The sift start circuit will be sitting closed to the IEC socket at the back of the chassis, so I guess the connecting to the ground of the socket would be the best.
Old 20th June 2021, 07:01 PM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Soft Start Circuit Help
Yes, that would be OK.
Old 23rd June 2021, 03:33 AM   #7
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Soft Start Circuit Help
80,000 uF split in four rails is not enough surge to bother with any soft start. Move on!
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:55 AM   #8
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

That's ROD Elliott, not Ron!! Don't you be dissin' one of the true diy gurus/heroes!!
Old 23rd June 2021, 06:23 AM   #9
bansuri is offline bansuri  Italy
diyAudio Member

The same circuit can be used for a speaker protection relay at the output, then your 1+sec makes more sense.
Just parallel from R1 to the relay and use bigger C and R as described.

You do not need to ground the circuit, the transformer and the relay coil are isolated, so the thing can float and there is less danger to make a short by touching an element with a probe ground.

Last edited by bansuri; 23rd June 2021 at 06:31 AM.
Old 25th June 2021, 05:35 AM   #10
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptseng View Post
Ron's notes suggest that the soft start time is 100ms, but I am thinking of increasing that to 500ms to 1sec, but I am not sure which component / value to change to enable a longer soft start time.

Can someone help me with some advice?
The soft start delay depends on which soft start device (resistor or NTC/inrush limiter) you use. I have a pretty comprehensive analysis available here: The Ultimate Guide to Soft Start Design – Neurochrome

The best way to optimize the soft start is by measuring the current into the transformer primary during startup. You can do that with a simple current probe that you can build for less than $10: The $10 Current Probe - How to Measure Current with an Oscilloscope – Neurochrome

Tom

Soft Start Circuit HelpHide this!Advertise here!