Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was wondering if people did some calculations what would be the values for R and C snubbers if you run something like 18VAC 50W transformer (Anteks from those from US)? I would assume that getting those parts not exactly calculated, but closely estimated would be better than not using any at all.

There is a claimed universal approximation. If you will try it let us know. There you are: Post #1274

Wonderful Salas that you finished the L-Adapter...so quickly!

And for the continuous pursuit of the RPI3 strange behaviour,
I have this new observation.

Scenario 1:
RPi3 with 5V, 3.3V & 1.8V fed by linear Power Supply with 9Vac sec transformer of 50VA.
UltraBiB Reg is set to 8.0V and then feeds the 3xLT1963 regulators(the 3 individual voltages mentioned above).
It works....as long as I have only a USB cable plugged in.
When I plug in the ethernet cable, the UltraBiB Reg output volt drops down to 6.4V; then back up to 7.2V after 2 secs.
The plugged ethernet cable renders the RPi3 unusable as the music files start to disappear from the interface; wifi connection and LAN connection are lost after a moment.

Scenario 2:
I plugged in both USB cable and ethernet cable before turning it on.
Power on.
Same problem: Reg voltage drop by 2V on UltraBiB Reg then back to 7.4V.
RPi3 did not boot, red LED (power indicator) flashed, dimmed or off.

Why didn't it work earlier with only USB cable plugged in? I don't know.

My solution:
I can live without the ethernet cable plugged in since wifi connection is my priority; and Moode audio says it should not have both connected anyway.
I sometimes have wifi disconnection after a long period of inactivity and need the ethernet to shake the RPi3 up a bit or to restart.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Unless by activating the Ethernet you pull enough extra current to make C1's ripple eat critical DC headroom for 8V output, because the voltage across M1 is already low and it doesn't function as CCS, the other two scenarios are: Voltage drop signifies the current limiter has kicked in or big enough oscillation happens that robes part of the DC reading to AC garbage.

- First try a 12V transformer
- Do you have an oscilloscope?

board is op and running
have now run for more hours....drift about 0.3vdc down from 15vdc

i have no resistor to load the supply with ..so i test it without

R1 is 2 ohm

cooling is good ..easily holding on the heatsink---

will the dc voltage go up when i mount my load ??

so close to testing on my Mirand dac