Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Thanks for the Ultra BiB Salas.

I have build one for a diy AD1865 dac.

Actually 4 :D

3x +5v and one -5v

Sounds is very good.

On the scope under load it showed some RF thing on the output,nothing big i could hear.

I tamed it with a little coil of 220uH in series with the output,and to be sure i put a ferrite beat on every gate of the big Fet,s.
Everything is running cool not overheating.

The scope pictures are from before and after.

Attachments

• DSC07689.jpg
    DSC07689.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC07690.jpg
    DSC07690.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC07691.jpg
    DSC07691.jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 552
  • pic_55_5.jpg
    pic_55_5.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 579
  • pic_55_4.jpg
    pic_55_4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 554
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm the layout is fairly critical for this circuit and there is no ground plane in your utilization so in the end you did not do too bad with measures against RFI :up:

P.S.
How much spare current you allow? The CCSmA-LoadmA difference I mean i.e. shunt current spare mA burning on the output sink.

Salas, do you know what the max gauge wire the 1.3 UltraBibs will accept via direct soldering?

-MUR120G is the same part yes.

-Absolutely no issue as long as it fits.

-Use max diameter wire the terminal nicely accepts. Also possible to opt for direct soldering in a done and dusted built.

-Rather negating, yes. Unless its about a high gain circuit sensitive for hum. There the complete separation would do good. Because of no AC wiring entering the main case whatsoever.

To calculate whether heatsinks will be adequate, I've used the below example assuming 15vout @ 300 CC powered by a transformer with a 15v secondary.

Is the only way to know voltage drop across M1 to measure it or can this be determined ahead of time given transformer specs? Also, let's assume Celcius above ambient is 3.9 degrees for M1 and M2. Assuming they will be connected to the same heatsink, how do you calculate the temperature rise of the heatsink - do you simpluy add them?

I've used the below heatsink as an example (.67 c/w) but given 300 mA at 15v this seems like overkill if temperature rise is only 8 degrees above ambient.

40mm Heatsinks – diyAudio Store

M2
Watts dissipated for M2 will be Vout*Shunt current i.e. 18V*0.125A=2.25W

Vout 15
CC 0.3
Watt 4.5
C/W Heatsink 0.67
Temp 3.015
inefficiency X 1.3
C above ambient 3.9195

M1
M1 the dissipation comes from (35-18V)*CC
Secondary v 15
V across C1 ?
C above ambient #VALUE!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
About 122 mA spare for the regulator.

Without ground-plane, the placing of the C3 was the most critical.

C3 not as output cap but as close to the last Fet M2,and as far as possible away from the heath sink.
If it is to far from M2 it will oscillate.

Correct remarks, the layout of this reg has some points of caution you could stumble on when spinning your home board, I went through a couple of prototypes to optimize the GB board too.
122mA is good enough, but at what output voltage? Because dissipation in Watt is Vout*SpareCurrent. Small voltage I assume because the sinks in your photos are small.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Better quality reservoir cap vs more uF would be my attention in such a case.

I wonder why is possible that reservoir capacitor quality affects output of shunt regulator. I would expect that above decent C1 quality, there should be no audible or measurable difference. This capacitor is loaded with CCS. There should be almost no load variation. Does it’s quality (leakage, ESR..) affect how clean is constant current? Or, does output load variation, despite shunt, modulate constant current to some extent?
Most likely, there are other reasons I don’t have clue about. :D

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have to build two +-15V power supplies. UBIB boards are on the way from USA. Hopefully they will arrive despite this Corona turmoil.
Now is time to pick a good components. I can follow capacitor remarks from first pages (Nichicon Gold Tune etc.) but I like to understand why am I doing something.